Window tint options, personal experience, advice wanted

Tweezy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
17'GT on Order
I just put my personal experience with tint on here. I lived in CA at the time and drove a s2000. I had put 15% 3M tint on the convertible window and two door windows. I can say that 15% was below the legal limit for CA however they dont really enforce it.

When I order the stang, I'll be following VA law since they are more strick on tint.
Theres different levels of tint your basic is 3M FX and other brands then step up in tint is like Ceramic and then Top Top of line is called Photo Sync by Spectra.

I plan on doing 40% or 50% tint all around with Ceramic tint this type of tint does not interfere with the Sirius and GPS etc, it is a little more costly and I got a quote from a shop in MD at $450 all tint should come with lifetime warranty.
Sponsored

Nazgul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 15 GT PP
You're right we never will agree. Plain view into a car is not searching. Police do not search the car as they are making an approach to your vehicle. They are making a quick visual sweep of passengers and potential threats and contraband. Being able to see into your car is vastly different than searching it. And yes, I do have to be able to see into your car. Despite what you think or how you feel about your privacy while driving, driving on our roads are a privilege not a right.

I agree you can see out 20% tint just fine during the day. At night it's a bit different. Imo is it dangerous to the level where safely operating the vehicle is vastly diminished, no. However even during the day 20% can be difficult to see into, at night it's nearly impossible.

Basing a stop off of potential dangers in the car, whether someone has done something "worthy" (in your eyes) or not for the stop doesn't come into play. Not stopping the car isn't an option, your risk assessment is determined by your approach, or non-approach and the want/need for back up. I don't turn a blind eye to things because the risks out weigh the necessities of my job. I don't look at a car coming out of a shitty neighborhood at 3am with tint darker than the night itself and think, "well that could be dangerous, and they haven't done anything besides having to dark of tint". That just doesn't go through my head. To the contrary I see, reasonable suspicion for the stop and think, "that's a worth while stop at 3am".

I agree that dark tint is nice. If they changed the law in would accept it and change my tactics to traffic stops. With that being said, the law in my state is as it is. Not abiding by it is still wrong,...... For the time being. Good luck with your tinting. Either way your mustang will look great :)

Nazgul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 15 GT PP
I just put my personal experience with tint on here. I lived in CA at the time and drove a s2000. I had put 15% 3M tint on the convertible window and two door windows. I can say that 15% was below the legal limit for CA however they dont really enforce it.

When I order the stang, I'll be following VA law since they are more strick on tint.
Theres different levels of tint your basic is 3M FX and other brands then step up in tint is like Ceramic and then Top Top of line is called Photo Sync by Spectra.

I plan on doing 40% or 50% tint all around with Ceramic tint this type of tint does not interfere with the Sirius and GPS etc, it is a little more costly and I got a quote from a shop in MD at $450 all tint should come with lifetime warranty.
VA is super strict on traffic/vehicle code. Even us cops look sideways at them. Sometimes.

Edwin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edwin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang - Triple Yellow
I was really planning on getting my windows tinted. Nothing crazy, I was only going to do 35%. But after reading all of the posts against tinting I've changed my mind. The tint laws in PA are pretty vague. One code states that as long as you can see into the vehicle it is legal but another references 70%. I read through some forums specific to PA police and it's pretty clear they have/will pull you over here for tint. I really like the looks with the tint but it doesn't seem worth it. The more I read the more it makes sense that they are pulling people over for it around here. In fact, I have a better appreciation for the work they are doing to clean up the streets. Walking up to some of those windows would take some serious balls.

Ron01864

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT Premium. 2013 GT Premium

Sponsored

Butter77

Ha....You said Member...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT PP
Quoted 165 for Suntek Carbon and 265 for CXP. Appointment set for next Saturday so I have some time to decide which direction. I was only going to go with the Carbon, but I'm slowly changing my mind to the CXP. Anyone have a recommendation one way or another?

Socalmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium w/PP Race Red
Quoted 165 for Suntek Carbon and 265 for CXP. Appointment set for next Saturday so I have some time to decide which direction. I was only going to go with the Carbon, but I'm slowly changing my mind to the CXP. Anyone have a recommendation one way or another?
Honestly, it depends on the weather you live in. I was quoted $100 more for ceramic and I went with it, although weather in Socal is pretty nice, but summers sometime suck.

If you get a lot of heat or you get better warranty, I say go for it. If not, save the money.

Ron01864

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT Premium. 2013 GT Premium
Here's mine 35%
Moto, i see u have 35%. I have a CO with an EDD of June 1. Is yours 35 all around? Your side and rear looks darker. My state has a 35 max law.

Thanks Ron

Wblv17

older fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.7HEMI Ram and 2015 eco boost race red pp
I will be going 35% side and 5% rear window soon.

Has to be legal as mines (window tint) already been checked by a Texas state trooper, granted he wasn't the sharpest tool as my car is not tinted.

Butter77

Ha....You said Member...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT PP
Honestly, it depends on the weather you live in. I was quoted $100 more for ceramic and I went with it, although weather in Socal is pretty nice, but summers sometime suck.

If you get a lot of heat or you get better warranty, I say go for it. If not, save the money.
Lifetime warranty on both. Its pretty toasty around here May to October, and the car sits outside while I'm at work during the day. I'm thinking the CXP just so I can't look back one day and think "what if."
Sponsored