Sponsored

New Shelby Owner - New to Ford

17RubyShelbyGT350

First Ford - First Shelby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350-Conven Pkg - 1st Perf Mods Done
Since this is my first thread on this Forum, I thought a few words of intro are in order. I am on another Shelby only Forum, but as I quickly learned, this car, due to its short production run and relatively low production numbers, certainly generates a small percentage of forum activity. At least compared to the Corvette Forums, where I had a long time presence. Nine Vettes over the years, last four being either Z06's or ZR1s. Made lots of changes recently, second retirement, move to a new area of the country, now a totally new "toy."

Frankly, have been ready for quite some time for all these changes - although I may well continue to do some consulting. I belonged to a very active Northern Va racing club for many years and we ran a high speed autox series every year on an old NASCAR backed 3/8 mile track - fortunately, I never kissed the ARMCO. Spent thousands to win $10 trophies - but was a blast. We also went to Summit Point Rceway in WVA to play on the 2 mile course. Not into the "sea of cones" parking lot stuff - not my bag.

When I was a little kid growing up in Pa, a neighbor had a new '66 Shelby GT350, which I got an occasional ride in and never forgot. When the new ones reappeared after 50 years, started doing my research and after a few months, started my 9 week search for my car - which ended in mid- October. After 12 years of football, infantry service, and over 60 years on the planet, needed convenience package car. The stock Recaros were just too restrictive, not fat and in shape, but not 30 anymore either. The convenience package seats (cooling seats also appreciated where I live) had bolstering at least as good of some of the Vettes I put on road courses.

So, I have been breaking the car in rather gently and up to about 600 miles now. I do not see evidence of any oil burning issues yet and I have reviewed the thread here on oil usage with great interest. I think there is some truth that the overwhelming majority of these engines are just fine and are doing exactly what they were designed to do - the biggest effect on oil usage is understanding our own driving habits and their effect on this engine design specs.

I will be putting some additional threads out soon as I have a number of questions. I am seriously considering a number of next steps and will be seeking opinions of people here - some of whom I am sure are Ford production/engineering folks.

I will be doing some tracking (more road course - not into the 1/4 mile stuff) sometime next year.

Meanwhile, I have yet to see another Shelby around here, and the Ruby Red with White Stripes combine with the exhaust does make its presence known..

:cheers:
Sponsored

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Welcome!

I’ve always been a GM guy, first Trans Ams, then 7 Corvettes.

My first Ford too, and I love it.

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
Welcome to the site!

(I started in Corvettes as well, then SRT, Vipers, Hellcats and now a GT350)

What type of work / consulting do you do? (Pharma / Med Device by chance?)

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Welcome aboard. This car seems to have drawn many new people into the Ford family. First and only Ford for me.

In my opinion don't baby your engine anymore but do wait until 1000 miles before it's first track day (Ford recommended). For the track get an air oil separator and ensure you use the factory PCV valve with it. That's all you'll need with this car. Enjoy!

Sponsored

TRS7139

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Welcome aboard. This car seems to have drawn many new people into the Ford family. First and only Ford for me.

In my opinion don't baby your engine anymore but do wait until 1000 miles before it's first track day (Ford recommended). For the track get an air oil separator and ensure you use the factory PCV valve with it. That's all you'll need with this car. Enjoy!
Your post reminded me to ask about this but keep forgetting.
I have Ford Performance units on both sides, however, wondered about service life of the PCV's and have never seen anything.
Anybody have any thoughts ?

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
welcome, post some shots

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
I'm sure it's a long life item. The only pcv ive ever needed to replace was in my 68 Firebird.

OP
OP
17RubyShelbyGT350

17RubyShelbyGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Welcome!

I’ve always been a GM guy, first Trans Ams, then 7 Corvettes.

My first Ford too, and I love it.
I seem to remember some posts on the Corvette Forum with the same sign-on name as the one you are using here.... Thanks, for the welcome - it's a new world for us!

OP
OP
17RubyShelbyGT350

17RubyShelbyGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Welcome to the site!

(I started in Corvettes as well, then SRT, Vipers, Hellcats and now a GT350)

What type of work / consulting do you do? (Pharma / Med Device by chance?)
I was a more senior Fed at Treasury Dept working as a deputy director of Procurement/Contracting. Once I retired from Treasury, worked as subject matter expert in same field supporting DHS, then DEA.

Glad to be out of the swamp - more deadly animals there than in any Florida swamp! :lol:

Sponsored

wasserott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 LB WS
We Might Know Each Other

Send me a PM if you don't want reveal your real name...mine is obvious.

Spent many years at Old Dominion Speedway and Summit Point!

Chuck

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Welcome aboard!!!

This is a very experienced and knowledgeable group of Shelby GT350/GT350R enthusiasts with pretty much everyone sharing what they have learned and experienced over just a year or two and also over many decades of racing and ownership.

Although we always don't agree with each other on certain topics or issues I would say overall this is a tremendous group of enthusiasts ranging in age from some in their late teens to many of us in our 60's and 70's.

Good luck with your car going forward and hope to see some pictures of your Ruby Red GT350 as probably my favorite color.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

OP
OP
17RubyShelbyGT350

17RubyShelbyGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Welcome aboard!!!

This is a very experienced and knowledgeable group of Shelby GT350/GT350R enthusiasts with pretty much everyone sharing what they have learned and experienced over just a year or two and also over many decades of racing and ownership.

Although we always don't agree with each other on certain topics or issues I would say overall this is a tremendous group of enthusiasts ranging in age from some in their late teens to many of us in our 60's and 70's.

Good luck with your car going forward and hope to see some pictures of your Ruby Red GT350 as probably my favorite color.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks, I do not have a lot of seat time or miles yet on the car, but I already am developing some preliminary mod ideas based on the years of experience I had on Corvettes, mostly Z06's and two ZR1s. I really like this car's attitude and presence and the fact I do not see very many of these on the street. Here in Gainesville, have not yet seen another one although I understand there are at least two others in the area.

Now, I guess I could have ended up paying about 15k more for an "R" (considering ADM) than the MSRP I paid for this one, but too many negatives for me: (1) My prior experience with Pilot Cup tires on a mostly street driven car was not a good one - these tires really are for the track, and dry weather, they were extremely marginal on wet streets, or temps below 50 degrees; (2) only the Recaros available on the R and they are just to damn uncomfortable for someone who (though HWP) has football knees and plus 60 years on the planet. My car has the convenience package which is much more comfortable to me and nice to have AC seats in warm months in Florida.

So, any mods I do are not in the interest of turning it into an "R" but rather a bit better (for me) 350GT.

Krogen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Oxford White & Blue Stripes
Similar to your situation, my first exposure to a Shelby was a '67 GT350 in my Dad's auto shop. I was just a kid. The car belonged to a customer. It had been stolen and stripped. Dad got the job to put it back together with insurance money. Shelbys have been an attraction ever since. Little did I know, but 50 years later I have my own GT350 in the garage. Time flies, but I didn't forget the allure of the GT350.

BTW, mine has the sofa seats too. I've been in Recaros at the dealer and the Track Attack cars have Recaros. They fit, they work fine for me, but I do like the squishy heated/cooled seats for a regular driver.

OP
OP
17RubyShelbyGT350

17RubyShelbyGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Similar to your situation, my first exposure to a Shelby was a '67 GT350 in my Dad's auto shop. I was just a kid. The car belonged to a customer. It had been stolen and stripped. Dad got the job to put it back together with insurance money. Shelbys have been an attraction ever since. Little did I know, but 50 years later I have my own GT350 in the garage. Time flies, but I didn't forget the allure of the GT350.

BTW, mine has the sofa seats too. I've been in Recaros at the dealer and the Track Attack cars have Recaros. They fit, they work fine for me, but I do like the squishy heated/cooled seats for a regular driver.
Actually, the convenience package seats have about the same or more bolstering as my Corvette C5 Z06, C6 ZR1 and 2 C6 Z06's had, and those cars saw track duty. Granted, these seats are not as track oriented, but for me (forgot to mention I also had one L3-L4 spinal fusion) the Recaros were ok to get into but a real PITA to get out of.

YRMV! :cheers:
Sponsored