Sponsored

Tuning illegal in California

WildPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT premium with PP
On various reseller websites, I notice disclaimer stating that "This product will not ship to addresses in California due to state regulations. Additionally, support will not be provided for tuning for California residents."

Above quote is from AmericanMuscle.com. Is this right? or will AM and tuners still sell and provide support to California residents?

I'm looking to upgrade the CAI and get a tuner such as SCTx4 with VMP or Bama.

I'm hoping the disclaimer is just CYA on their part and I can still buy it from them get my car tuned.
Sponsored

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
You can buy them "for offroad use only" they just don't comply with CARB so you don't get an E.O. # and they can bust you for running it. If you want something fully legal look into the Ford kits, PP2 is about equal with many of the canned 3rd party tunes and comes with a GT350 intake.

reek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I had a retailer sell me a tuner in 2010. so in 2014, when I got a new vehicle, tried to get a tuner over the internet, same retailer. No longer ships tuners to California. tried several other web retailers, no go. So I contacted the tuner company directly and they sold me one through their direct ship web store. Consider contacting the tuner company directly if you can't get one shipped otherwise.

sublimaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
California is the biggest nanny state in the world (next to England).
Both are nice to visit, but I am sooooo glad I don't live in either place.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's too bad you guys in CA can't vote in some better law makers. I'd love to move there some day, but this car hate stuff has got to go.

Sponsored

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
It's too bad you guys in CA can't vote in some better law makers. I'd love to move there some day, but this car hate stuff has got to go.
There is way more wrong in CA than just car laws. Knowingly speading HIV is no longer a crime but misusing a made up gender is? I feel bad for all of the sane people that have to deal with that retarded state.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
You guys should Google "smog". It wasn't only a California problem but CA was one of, if not the, leader in addressing the problem because of the geography and climate in the Los Angeles area. CA was and still is a car loving state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Smog_Check_Program

https://www.epa.gov/air-pollution-t...ents-and-success-air-pollution-transportation

My 2015 GT and my 97 GT both run a lot better/cleaner and get much better fuel economy than my 69 GT with 351 Windsor did when I bought it in 69. The demands of the smog laws and the fuel economy laws were big factors in forcing the engineering that makes current performance possible.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
make a friend on the forum that does not live in CA.
ship to them, and they can send it to you.

i've done this a few times for our international Mustang forum members.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
5 years, 3 months, 22 days. I will be free to leave this S$#! Hole.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You guys should Google "smog". It wasn't only a California problem but CA was one of, if not the, leader in addressing the problem because of the geography and climate in the Los Angeles area. CA was and still is a car loving state.

https://www.epa.gov/air-pollution-t...ents-and-success-air-pollution-transportation

My 2015 GT and my 97 GT both run a lot better/cleaner and get much better fuel economy than my 69 GT with 351 Windsor did when I bought it in 69. The demands of the smog laws and the fuel economy laws were big factors in forcing the engineering that makes current performance possible.
You should google overkill. The requirements CA had in the early 90s were plenty stringent enough.

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)

Actually, the should google "smug"... it is a better description of Californica.

Southpark hits the nail on the head here.

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
California is the biggest nanny state in the world (next to England).
Both are nice to visit, but I am sooooo glad I don't live in either place.
I live in England...

I have LTH, catback, CAI, lowered, big brakes, free flow cats, bigger wheels and tyres, Lund tune tints...etc etc..

There are very few restrictions on what you can do to your car here..:)

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
CA hates freedom, loves felons, is ran by criminals, and would be the worst place ever if not for the weather.

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
It's just a blue state run with a Democrat majority. Facts don't get in the way of the decisions of our politicians and lawmakers. If it feels good or feels like the right thing to do, then they do it. California is trying to save the world and lead the way regarding the environment, residents be damned.

We reached the point of diminishing returns with smog laws here years ago, but they are still trying to improve at economic cost of everyone. We now have a ignorant senator who has submitted a bill to outlaw the combustion engine by 2040.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/27/16373778/california-internal-combustion-ban-emissions-carb

A few years ago it was determined that a leading scientist who worked for the California Air Resources Board bought his Ph.D. for $1000. It was also found that he fabricated some of his data on diesel emissions research. Regardless of this finding, he kept his job and C.A.R.B. enacted even tougher emission requirements for diesel engines based on his false data.

http://www.flashreport.org/blog/201...m-the-dangers-of-bucking-fashionable-science/

I won't even get into the pandering to illegal immigrants for votes and etc. A recent study found that 45% of Californians do not speak english in the home. California is not the same place it used to be 30 years ago.

OP
OP

WildPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT premium with PP
Thank you everyone for your response. I think I'll just stick with Ford PP2 since it's C.A.R.B friendly. Too bad options are limited here in Cali. :(
Sponsored