Sponsored

So what are we going to do about this rear bumper?

1stGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
I took my car in the other day because I had a check engine light again third time. Since it was there I had them look at the gap in the rear bumper. They said today they had their guy check it and he claims it is due to impact, it has been like this since day one I had just been putting up with it. He suggested the body shop should repair NOT warranty.
I said I would not spend any money in their body shop, waiting for their answer back.
Sponsored

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
My dealership had no problem under warranty having there body shop adjust mine. BUT as with most others after awhile came back, just not gapped as bad.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Mine was fixed under warranty the other day. Zero grief by the dealership about fixing it.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Before and after on mine. The passenger side was not as bad but is fixed just like the driver's side pictured. When I got the car it looked like pic 2. Over time it has sagged.
Trunk3.JPG
IMG_8125.jpg

sublimaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I took my car in the other day because I had a check engine light again third time. Since it was there I had them look at the gap in the rear bumper. They said today they had their guy check it and he claims it is due to impact, it has been like this since day one I had just been putting up with it. He suggested the body shop should repair NOT warranty.
I said I would not spend any money in their body shop, waiting for their answer back.
Did you buy from a dealership in Houston?

A similar situation happened to me. One of the rims must have been bent when I took delivery but I didn't catch it. The tire held pressure for about a week, then went flat in less than 1 hour (and less than 800 miles on odometer). I inspected the tire and found nothing wrong. But the wheel had a slight bend in the inner lip, and I was certain that was why the tire failed to hold pressure. I had never, EVER curbed the rim. I had it towed to the dealership, and the tech verified the bent rim. They couldn't find anything wrong with the tire, but they replaced it for free. However, they refused to replace the rim because I didn't buy the wheel & tire warranty (they basically said I must have damaged it). I took it home and 2 weeks later, the tire went down again. Dealership again refused to replace the rim. I had planned to get custom wheels anyway (which was why I did not get the wheel & tire warranty to begin with), but those plans got accelerated. Needless to say, I am not going back to that dealership for service, nor to buy another vehicle.

Sponsored

1stGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
I bought the car outside of Dallas and I live in San Diego so it is a local dealer I'm dealing with. Ford told them today replace the coolant sending unit so they will do that and give me an answer Monday on the bumper.

wallie40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
I bought the car outside of Dallas and I live in San Diego so it is a local dealer I'm dealing with. Ford told them today replace the coolant sending unit so they will do that and give me an answer Monday on the bumper.
I am also in SD, what dealer are you working with?

-Paul

svt93style

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Slow
For what it is worth I saw this on another board. I guess nailing down the culprit is key. Either way, this really sucks. I can see the gap now when looking at pics, not an owner yet but working on it.

"I am an employee @the Ford plant. They are saying the aero shield and rear diffuser is whats pulling the bumper down. They replace the bumpers and address all the issues, paint work before they leave the plant.
Even from the designer of the mustang which he owns a '15 350R address his concerns about trim gaps to me.
Just an FYI"

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I've got so many warranty claims under my belt, I'm tired of going to the dealership. Probably just going to wait a few more months until mine becomes much worse.

Sponsored

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350 magnetic/black tech
I've got so many warranty claims under my belt, I'm tired of going to the dealership. Probably just going to wait a few more months until mine becomes much worse.
Dont let it go too far as the forward gap tightens and can start to rub paint off as the rear gap opens. The body shop guy pointed out right away that the gap is caused by the extra weight of the gt350 difffuser with the extra exhaust tips compared to the regular mustangs.Said he has repaired several quite quickly with rivets through the bottom of each tail light housing. Sounded a little like taking the "easy road" on the repair method. Grab the diffuser and lift upwards and you can have a friend check the entire gap area to for any paint scrape damage plus enjoy the sight of how it will be when aligned!

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Dont let it go too far as the forward gap tightens and can start to rub paint off as the rear gap opens. The body shop guy pointed out right away that the gap is caused by the extra weight of the gt350 difffuser with the extra exhaust tips compared to the regular mustangs.Said he has repaired several quite quickly with rivets through the bottom of each tail light housing. Sounded a little like taking the "easy road" on the repair method. Grab the diffuser and lift upwards and you can have a friend check the entire gap area to for any paint scrape damage plus enjoy the sight of how it will be when aligned!
Are the repairs that he's doing at the body shop permanent? Or does the issue comeb ack again?

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350 magnetic/black tech
Are the repairs that he's doing at the body shop permanent? Or does the issue comeb ack again?
I believe that they intend this to be a permanent repair and the one owner who i am in contact with had his done 3 months ago and it is still looking good.

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I believe that they intend this to be a permanent repair and the one owner who i am in contact with had his done 3 months ago and it is still looking good.
Gotcha. Interesting to know. Thanks for the info man!

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
I've read mention of the exhaust tips weight deflecting the rear bumper panel and diffuser several times (creating the gap) but no one has mentioned if trying to pick up some of the weight with an additional hanger to the body/frame? Or maybe the existing muffler/exhaust tips hanger needs to be adjusted? Has anyone looked at that?
Sponsored