Sponsored

So what are we going to do about this rear bumper?

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
The Watson rear bumper brace for their rear tow hook says it's slightly lighter than the stock beam, and has additional mounting points for the rear bumper to prevent the sag. Anyone have any experience with it?
Sponsored

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Magnetic GT350R / 70' Buick Skylark
It is a warranty fix but whether or not you can fix it is dependant on the brackets. Otherwise it's a replace and respray option under warranty. They took mine off several times to try and reseat it but determined it wasn't possible and was just how the bumper was cut. They offered to replace it but the new one would have to be painted and would not likely match the car perfectly. Not worth it IMO

If you change your mind Extreme Custom Collision in Woodbridge could absolutely do the work...like brand new. Some really talented folks working there.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Hey [MENTION=24742]firestarter2[/MENTION],

Your post title made me think of the classic joke:
The Lone Ranger and Tonto are standing on top of a hill about to be attacked by a savage bunch of Indians when the Lone Ranger says to Tonto, "Well Tonto, it looks like we're in for it now."
Tonto responds with, "What do you mean "we" White Man?"...

Yeah, Ford messed up our rear bumpers. Many seem to be sagging and it looks like we're all on our own to figure out the fix...kinda like some other issues...

I hope you find some peace and solace with your situation.

(Disclaimer: the above joke is in no way intended to be disrespectful of indigenous folks of North America....)

Last edited:

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Darker shades hide this OCD problem, lighter colors illuminate it because the shadow of the gap. Mine hasnt gotten worse yet. When it gets unbearable ill get it fixed.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
The rear diffuser on the GT350 is added weight that pulls down on the entire rear bumper. Need a way to have it braced back up to the body otherwise gravity will do what it always does.
The rear diffuser is mounted/bolted to the car chassis. The front two bolts are to the diff area. The rear two bolts go to this bracket that is bolted to the frame. Some of know that because we broke that bracket doing something stupid...

So the weight of the diffuser is not an issue. Its those black brackets noted in the referenced thread tend to be loose.
Bracket in package.jpg

Sponsored

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Ok I haven't seen a posting on this. Has any one taken there car under warranty to a body shop and the body shop able to adjust it so the fascia is back up snug as should be still after driving some time after fixed? I know some have said body shop fixed it. But most also say after a period of time it started sagging again. if so how did they fix it permanently?

Wyldfyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Subscribed... unfortunately (starting to see some gap now)

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
IN!

Second car and I have come up with zero solutions.

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
When I first posted pix of my 17R, several made comments on how tight the rear panel gaps were. There was nearly zero gap. I keep my car in a garage. One day, I parked it in the hot summer sun. Came back a few hours later to noticed the gap grew. Significantly. Thought it would go back once cooled off, but it has now remained with larger gap. I just try not to look at it. :shrug::headbonk:

Sponsored

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
The solution provided in the link attached in a comment earlier in this thread looks solid. Probably going to try this at some point

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
If your talking about the guy that posted pictures and put the screw in for back up support I'm pretty sure I read that later on he said the gap came back so he just gave up on it.

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
One thing to consider is an aftermarket exhaust with the tips attached to the exhaust, not the rear bumper. I don't think there are many....but the weight of the tips attached to the bumper is part of the problem I'm sure.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
One thing to consider is an aftermarket exhaust with the tips attached to the exhaust, not the rear bumper. I don't think there are many....but the weight of the tips attached to the bumper is part of the problem I'm sure.
I don't agree, those exhaust tips are just thin stainless cups with hardly any weight, less than 1% of the bumper weight. I think the real fix is to make steel brackets contoured to mount on the top and bottom of the flange that would clamp the gap shut.

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
If your talking about the guy that posted pictures and put the screw in for back up support I'm pretty sure I read that later on he said the gap came back so he just gave up on it.
d'oh.

The gap on mine is noticeable, but if it doesn't get any worse I am not really too worried about it. Not worried enough to take the car in and hand the keys over to the dealer, anyway.
Sponsored