RLCA bearing: who has removed theirs?

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Has anyone installed a RLCA bearing and subsequently removed it? If so, why?
Sponsored

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
I did when testing on my 2016 GTPP.

The only thing I liked better without them installed was the transfer of NVH was less with the stock bushings - however, I had a fully modded IRS system.

IMO, the absolute BEST combo of parts for the average person for their streetcar is the CB005 (or comparable) and the RLCA Bearing.

This is what I have my GT350 Customers start out with, and practically refuse to sell them parts above and beyond that until they get some use on the parts and provide feedback.

What I find very common is customers typically complaining about NVH when they have diff bushing mods installed, but almost always when both the diff bushing AND the RLCA bearings.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I did when testing on my 2016 GTPP.

The only thing I liked better without them installed was the transfer of NVH was less with the stock bushings - however, I had a fully modded IRS system.

IMO, the absolute BEST combo of parts for the average person for their streetcar is the CB005 (or comparable) and the RLCA Bearing.

This is what I have my GT350 Customers start out with, and practically refuse to sell them parts above and beyond that until they get some use on the parts and provide feedback.

What I find very common is customers typically complaining about NVH when they have diff bushing mods installed, but almost always when both the diff bushing AND the RLCA bearings.
This is very interesting. What sort of NVH do they complain of? I have the RLCA and diff bushing lockout. My issue isn't with noise, it's more a bouncy/unsettled ride at speed. Around town it isn't really that noticeable but at highway speeds especially 75-80 and above it feels unsettled on anything but a completely flat surface.

I don't recall feeling it like this before the RLCA and diff lockout installed but unfortunately they were both installed at the same time. So I can't attribute it to one or the other.

My original theory was/is that my progressive springs are contributing to it as well.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
This is very interesting. What sort of NVH do they complain of? I have the RLCA and diff bushing lockout. My issue isn't with noise, it's more a bouncy/unsettled ride at speed. Around town it isn't really that noticeable but at highway speeds especially 75-80 and above it feels unsettled on anything but a completely flat surface.

I don't recall feeling it like this before the RLCA and diff lockout installed but unfortunately they were both installed at the same time. So I can't attribute it to one or the other.

My original theory was/is that my progressive springs are contributing to it as well.
Sounds like too much damping in the lower rate portion of the spring. Is it bouncy as in unsettled by undulations and changing surfaces at highway speeds, or is it more of a rhythmic oscillation?

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase

Did you tighten everything up from the install at RIDE HEIGHT? Your whole rear suspension assembly could be bound up if you tightened all the bolts while it was sagging.

Sponsored

Ryan P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jap Crap
Do you have the billet upper shock mounts installed? I have heard this can cure the bounciness some experience when installing stiffer dampers. I have both the RCLA bearings, upper mounts, and Steeda coilovers and haven't noticed the issue you are experiencing at all. I did all the mods at the same time, so I can't confirm that the upper mounts made a huge difference or not. I can say that the car feels much MORE planted than it did before, though.

Why did you upgrade the diff bushings? That seems totally unnecessary. I'm not sure why anyone short of a full blown drag/road race car does that mod. It's benefits will not be realized in day to day driving, and just adds a ton of NVH. If I were to question removing any mods, that would be at the top of my list.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Sounds like too much damping in the lower rate portion of the spring. Is it bouncy as in unsettled by undulations and changing surfaces at highway speeds, or is it more of a rhythmic oscillation?
Undulations and surface changes.

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I've got the track pack springs/shocks/sways and the progressive springs are annoyingly bouncy cruising around town. My gut tells me the dampers are a little bit too soft for the springs. Don't notice it at higher speeds. (I've also got the BMR CB005 and Steeda RLCA bearings.)

BTW, I didn't notice any NVH increase from either CB005 or the RLCA bearings, but throttle inputs are now much more precise. Only wish my wheel hop was gone.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Definitely agree for anything considered bouncy. This sounds more like a damper issue.

Did you tighten everything up from the install at RIDE HEIGHT? Your whole rear suspension assembly could be bound up if you tightened all the bolts while it was sagging.
Agree to an extent, being that the RCLA bearing is not affected by bind as much as the stock buching but there are still other bushings in the rear that need to be torqued when at ride height.

Do you have the billet upper shock mounts installed?
This is another good recommendation. Couple these from Steeda with a quality set of rear dampers and bounciness should be reduced or eliminated.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Thanks guys some good responses here. As always I am looking for more information! Nice to have good guys on the forum.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
What method is everyone using to replace these? is it recommended to get the BMR BRT001 tool?

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
What method is everyone using to replace these? is it recommended to get the BMR BRT001 tool?
I used an ancient Harbor Freight press using an assortment of homemade adapters to get it to work. The control arm is heavy and awkward to get a straight shot at the bushing/bearing. 1st arm gave us a fit, but the 2nd was easy as pie. Not a project for the squeamish. :headbonk:
DSCN2125.JPG

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I used an ancient Harbor Freight press using an assortment of homemade adapters to get it to work. The control arm is heavy and awkward to get a straight shot at the bushing/bearing. 1st arm gave us a fit, but the 2nd was easy as pie. Not a project for the squeamish. :headbonk:
Gosh, I am sooo excited about doing this. /s

:lol:

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Gosh, I am sooo excited about doing this. /s

:lol:
:D If I had to do it over again, I would heavily consider doing the BMR shop swap where they send control arms with the new bearings already pressed in and you return your stock control arms. The amount they charge for the service is peanuts compared to the aggravation.
Sponsored