Sponsored

So what are we going to do about this rear bumper?

THE_AHJ

AuthorityHvngJurisdiction
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
Metrolink
If u plan to show it or hard park at cars and coffee on the regular you’re going to hate the gap. If you’re buying it to drive the piss out of it you’re only going to notice it when washing and if u state at it when walking to the car.

I see the literal words bumper gap more by visiting this forum than I notice my car has a bumper gap daily.
Thanks for the quick reply, it's appreciated.
Sponsored

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
I just don't think you can get away from some gap. Some have had new brackets put on. Body shops have snugged them back up as best they can. And some have posted there fix. But it seems to always come back some. And if not there on a new car eventually it will show up. my 2016 had it bad that I'd leased right off the showroom floor. The 2017 I traded it for brand new has it but not as bad. I just don't think any one has found a permanent fix to keep it from sagging back down some. I think if those darn tabs weren't on the ends that you see the more gap you have it wouldn't look like its so badly gapped. It gives a disconnected look.

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
In some ways the reminds what they used to say about British sports car and the constant tinkering versus fun to drive, oil leaks, dripping brake reservoir, sagging bumper, strange clutch, but so much fun to drive.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
I still wonder if shortening up the rear muffler support or adding some supplemental support would not help a little. I need to get under there and look at things.

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
take a look at the repair thread, it not that hard to fix

Sponsored

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Must be or every one I've seen that have had it adjusted including myself trying new brackets. put a hidden screw by bracket in plastic etc. wouldn't post latter that it came back. I would like to see some posts of those that had the gap removed that after driving the car for a long period of time that the gap didn't start coming back.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think the problem is that the radii of the fender and the bumper on the side of the car are not designed or built quite right and so they interfere, preventing the bumper from fitting tightly at the rear of the car. If someone really wanted to fix it, they would remove the bumper and sand the radius until it fit (+ clearance for primer and paint) and then put it back together. Too much work IMO. I will just live with it and be glad I have a black car that doesn't show panel gaps as much.

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
My only concern is long term does it start to chip the paint at the front of the bumper at the quarter where its almost pressing up due to the rear pulling down. I've also began to notice that this isn't only a GT350 problem. Most s550s I've looked at lately have some sort of gap. Like most have said its probably worse on these cars due to the extra weight. I really hope someone comes up with some sort of final solution, be it stronger brackets, or reinforcing the factory brackets (with epoxy or some sort of brace) that will totally prevent the pulling away of the cover.

1stGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
The latest on mine they got a new bumper cover but it was not an acceptable fit and another was ordered. They painted it today and will be reinstalled Monday. Good thing I have a GT3 to track in the mean time.
Sponsored