Cylinder head removal - drivers side

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, M6, Triple Yellow
Anyone have their cylinder heads off with engine in car? I may have blown my head gasket.

My Whipple supercharged GT has a bad misfire on cylinder 8. I am Mode fairly sure that's where the misfire is - the engine doesn't throw any codes apart from random misfire. However using ForScan's Mode $06 test mode, I read the misfire counts on cylinder 8 to be vastly higher than the others (Mode $06 in PC version not iOS or Android).

I have also noticed coolant level has been dropping. Compression is more or less OK - hard to measure since I don't have a long reach plug adapter and have to use the rubber tipped thingy. It's not the plug or the coil. Swapping them around makes no difference. One clincher making me think head gasket is that my coolant gas tester shows a slight bit of combustion gas in the degas tank.

The final nail in the coffin is that the engine still sounds like it's missing on deceleration when injector duty cycle is zero! So definitely not fuel related. If no fuel, spark doesn't matter. so I can rule that out

It's gotta be a loss of compression somewhere. Yes? I'm thinking a head gasket leak between cylinders 7 and 8 and slightly into a water passage. Gonna do a leakdown test today to confirm. No signs of coolant in the engine oil.

I'm really hoping it's not a head or a block issue.

I have already changed the timing gear and OPG gears so I know how to take off the manifold, front engine cover, etc. My big concern is accessing the exhaust manifold bolts. Certainly can't do from above. Hopefully I can get at them from underneath. The second concern is that damn brace in near the firewall. Can I get the head off without removing that fiasco?

Wish me luck! Any words of advice are welcomed!!!

John
Sponsored

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
What's your plugs gapped at? Who is your tuner? Have you had any tune revisions? Were you having the issues before doing the OPG and TG?

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Had the same issue i.think i blew the head gasket or wiped out a ring land.If your losing coolant it's most likely one or the other.U can check the coolant for combustion gases.

OP
OP

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
What's your plugs gapped at? Who is your tuner? Have you had any tune revisions? Were you having the issues before doing the OPG and TG?
The car was running perfectly before last week. Whipple OPG and TG all put in at same time. Tune is stock Whipple. Like I said, seemingly not fuel or spark related. PLugs are gapped at 0.035 as recommended

OP
OP

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Had the same issue i.think i blew the head gasket or wiped out a ring land.If your losing coolant it's most likely one or the other.U can check the coolant for combustion gases.
As I said in OP: "One clincher making me think head gasket is that my coolant gas tester shows a slight bit of combustion gas in the degas tank."

I hate to start taking everything apart without even knowing for sure what side the issue is on. Just did some more testing and bank 2 (which I believe is driver side) seems to show no issues.

Still my main open question is has anyone taken their cylinder heads off with engine in car?

Sponsored

OP
OP

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)