Sponsored

Convertible - 200a rear speaker replacement

bboshart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TY Mustang EB
The rear speakers in my 2016 Ecoboost convertible are not very good sound quality, so I thought I would replace. I was surprised at how low-end they appear to be. Thinking they were 2 ohms, I purchased JBL GTO638s to replace, however it turns out that they are 4 ohms. While I have the rear speakers exposed, I'll add some speaker wire to them, to eventually feed signal to a subwoofer in the trunk.
DSC03851.jpg
DSC03852.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
So how does it sound now? Thinking of doing the same. What radio do you have?

OP
OP

bboshart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TY Mustang EB
So how does it sound now? Thinking of doing the same. What radio do you have?
Replacing the rear speakers, the overall improvement was minimal. I was a little disappointed but it was ok because I needed to get into there anyway to run some feed wires to the trunk for when I eventually put in a subwoofer. However, last night I replaced the tweeters in the a-pillars with Kicker KST25 tweeters. The difference of that change-out is huge! Sounds so much better upfront - nice crisp highs but not tinny sounding. The rear speakers are just "fill" anyway. My head unit is the stock one with the 200a package. So I would say start with those tweeters. Once I get some decent bass with a subwoofer in the trunk (not thumping bass but just to round out a nice full sound), I think I will be very happy with the sound.

SWallace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT Vert
Any idea what you are going to do for a sub? I just picked up my GT vert and I can't believe how bad the base Shaker is! I can't find a pre-fab enclosure for the convertibles. Thinking of either building one or doing a tube. Just not sure which yet. I think I'm going to do cabin speakers first and then the sub.

OP
OP

bboshart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TY Mustang EB
I will be building my own sub, located where the stock one would sit.

Sponsored

OP
OP

bboshart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TY Mustang EB
That's an interesting option too. I have been wondering how much sound you will get up front with the roof down, this might be better as its closer to the passengers?

SWallace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT Vert
That's an interesting option too. I have been wondering how much sound you will get up front with the roof down, this might be better as its closer to the passengers?
Not sure, just fired an email off to the guy trying to get a messurement from the box to the edge of the trunk. I don't think the sound to the passengers would be much different since both are just firing into the void of the truck. They have a ported version too.

metzlynn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
Wasn't sure where to post this question. Searched the forums for info and hobbled this together.
I would like to add a sub to my system. Have the Shaker, but no the Pro. So no sub - system has NO bass.
I was hoping that someone who has expertise can tell me if I am on the right track - and where I am off track.
I have an older amp that I would like to use. It worked well in the past and using it will save some cash (Sony XPlode).
I would like to put a box in the space where the OEM box would be. I do not have a box yet, but will find one that fits nicely or build it if necessary.

1. I should disable the mics for noise cancellation. Convertible, so one in each rear quarter and one in the map light area.
2. I can put the ground for the amp in the trunk area. Attach to body.
3. I should run a power line directly to the battery. (Or, is there an existing power source in the trunk that I can use? Is power already there for an OEM box? This would be convenient.)
4. There is a wire in the harness in the trunk that I can tap for the remote turn on. Found this in another post.
5. My amp has high level inputs. I should tap into the rear speakers - both L and R to get the high level inputs.
6. My amp does not have a single out for a sub, but the directions state that I can wire both the L and R outputs together and hook them to the sub that way. Is this okay?

Trying to keep this as simple and cost efficient as possible.

All help is appreciated!
Sponsored