Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
  • Banned
Hey, how are ya guys?

Just curious, my cousin and I have been talking, thinking by the end of the year, the two of us will leave the Garbage state and head down to Texas to start a new life, since we've lived our whole lives here in the tri-state and wanna experience something new away from our families.

Now I've been to Texas before, loved it. I was in Brownsville for 3 weeks basically and enjoyed it. Now that I'm looking to move, all I want is a car/truck enthusiast area in the red part of the state that's on the Arid side, curious where that would be.

While we're at it, is there anything else I should know, and anyone from the tri-state or neighboring area's whose moved and has something to share?

Thanks for taking a look, and have a great day

Rogue
Sponsored

Tobey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Vert
Arid? That means San Antonio/Austin areas if you want to be near a big city with the best chance of finding work.

What you should know... No state income tax (but property taxes tend to be high), more people than you would believe are carrying concealed weapons around you, and you should be able to find a job just about anywhere if you're willing to work.

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
  • Banned
Sounds perfect, and it's not as bad as Jersey:

"The Tax Foundation found that homeowners in these states paid the most in property taxes:
New Jersey - 2.38 percent.
Illinois - 2.32 percent.
New Hampshire - 2.15 percent.
Connecticut - 1.98 percent.
Wisconsin - 1.96 percent.
Texas - 1.90 percent.
Nebraska - 1.84 percent.
Michigan - 1.78 percent.
More items...
Best and Worst States for Property Taxes - The Balance
https://www.thebalance.com/best-and-worst-states-for-property-taxes-3193328"
(Just google "states with the highest property taxes" and it'll show up as such)

Gonna look into the San Antonio/Austin area then since it's dry. How easy is it to apply for a gun permit/license?

Thanks for the replies so far, gotta show my cuz this soon

JackBauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic base GT 6SP
i'd say either DFW or SA, Austin is rather blue(fyi, might find some dildo carrying liberals). Houston is probably overpop, wouldn't really recommend but there are some nice car shops and tx2k is hosted there. should have no issue finding jobs in any of the big cities.

if you're into racing there's both drag strips & road course tracks within an hour's drive of the major cities.

its pretty easy to apply for a License to Carry(allows for open/concealed carry). take LTC course, submit paperwork(which can be submitted online nowdays), and wait 1-3 months. so long as you don't have a criminal record of sorts should be good to go.

Sponsored

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
Austin is crowded as hell, but it's a chill place and on the weekends you can get out of the city and see some good scenery. Also, great driving roads just an hour away.

Dallas is the most metropolitan city in Texas, lots of cool things to do both in and out of town and it's condensed so you have a lot of things to do relatively close by.

San Antonio is the tourist destination of Texas so it's a city within a city. There's the regular SA then the Locals SA and they don't mix much. But if you get in with them then it's a great town.

Houston is a shit hole. It's a vast, polluted, disorganized sprawl, homeless everywhere, traffic nightmares, and unless you like fishing there is nothing do to here except eat and get boozed up. You'll find you can exhaust all "non-alcoholic" activities in exactly 12 days.

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
AZ is where it's at. Relatively affordable housing, low taxes, cheap insurance, large job markets. Sunny just about everyday. I'm biased since I was born and raised here but I've lived in few other states and wouldn't live anywhere else.

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
  • Banned
AZ is where it's at. Relatively affordable housing, low taxes, cheap insurance, large job markets. Sunny just about everyday. I'm biased since I was born and raised here but I've lived in few other states and wouldn't live anywhere else.
Yeah huh? Do tell, I'm open to Az as well

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
  • Banned
Austin is crowded as hell, but it's a chill place and on the weekends you can get out of the city and see some good scenery. Also, great driving roads just an hour away.

So long as I avoid politics, should be fine there, especially since they'd think I'm one of them being from Jersey

Dallas is the most metropolitan city in Texas, lots of cool things to do both in and out of town and it's condensed so you have a lot of things to do relatively close by.

Live by some little metropolitan's, so it'll feel like home. Definitely gotta check it out

San Antonio is the tourist destination of Texas so it's a city within a city. There's the regular SA then the Locals SA and they don't mix much. But if you get in with them then it's a great town.

I'll explore the local area, even if I'd be a tourist at first xD

Houston is a shit hole. It's a vast, polluted, disorganized sprawl, homeless everywhere, traffic nightmares, and unless you like fishing there is nothing do to here except eat and get boozed up. You'll find you can exhaust all "non-alcoholic" activities in exactly 12 days.

I still remember the Houston traffic. I also remember that we found a real restaurant after we hit up a chain place xD
Awesome, now what about towns and stuff besides the big 4 here

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
i'd say either DFW or SA, Austin is rather blue(fyi, might find some dildo carrying liberals). Houston is probably overpop, wouldn't really recommend but there are some nice car shops and tx2k is hosted there. should have no issue finding jobs in any of the big cities.

if you're into racing there's both drag strips & road course tracks within an hour's drive of the major cities.

its pretty easy to apply for a License to Carry(allows for open/concealed carry). take LTC course, submit paperwork(which can be submitted online nowdays), and wait 1-3 months. so long as you don't have a criminal record of sorts should be good to go.
I hang in Asbury Park, that's a classic example of "Hipsters ruining bad neighborhoods", became a food town that you'd wanna live in a few blocks. I'd be alright around the libtards so long as I don't get into politics with them (Especially since they'd assume I'd be one of them being from Jerzy)

Awesome, I'll definitely check out the tracks. Curious, read certain speed limits are 85, do cops care if you do 100 at that point xP

I'd be fine then, doubt speeding tickets would screw me up. What about the smaller towns around the areas, curious about them as well

Sponsored

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
I hang in Asbury Park, that's a classic example of "Hipsters ruining bad neighborhoods", became a food town that you'd wanna live in a few blocks. I'd be alright around the libtards so long as I don't get into politics with them (Especially since they'd assume I'd be one of them being from Jerzy)

Awesome, I'll definitely check out the tracks. Curious, read certain speed limits are 85, do cops care if you do 100 at that point xP

I'd be fine then, doubt speeding tickets would screw me up. What about the smaller towns around the areas, curious about them as well
The 85 limit is on 130 south of Austin. It's a toll road but Travis County, Lockhart PD and DPS patrol it heavily and will hold you to 5 over the PSL. However, Waze participation is good in the area so if you run the app it's good.

If you want to avoid the libs, look into my home town of Beaumont TX. It's a heavily conservative, gun friendly city with a nice dive bar and roadhouse scene. It's still the least diverse major city in Texas but it's not as racist as it was in the 70 and 80s. Lots of Latino's have moved in and they're about as conservative as the whites. They've done a lot of infrastructure improvements so it's a lot nicer as well. If you have an accent they'll make fun of you but it's not personal. Shit talking is Beaumont's civic past time.

It's also real close to The Big Thicket which is a badass National park. You're also only 3 hours away from New Orleans and the Atchafalaya bridge is a fun drive at speed.

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
The 85 limit is on 130 south of Austin. It's a toll road but Travis County, Lockhart PD and DPS patrol it heavily and will hold you to 5 over the PSL. However, Waze participation is good in the area so if you run the app it's good.

Well, time to download Waze. Kinda gay that they're so heavily involved, and bust you for going 5 over, wtf?!

If you want to avoid the libs, look into my home town of Beaumont TX. It's a heavily conservative, gun friendly city with a nice dive bar and roadhouse scene. It's still the least diverse major city in Texas but it's not as racist as it was in the 70 and 80s. Lots of Latino's have moved in and they're about as conservative as the whites. They've done a lot of infrastructure improvements so it's a lot nicer as well. If you have an accent they'll make fun of you but it's not personal. Shit talking is Beaumont's civic past time.

Ever deal with Italians and NYers/Jersian's in general, we're ball busters. I'll be fine. Also see we're on the gulf coast, pimpy.

Depending on the day, could be neutral or last I heard, a bit of a southern accent, so this'll be fun

It's also real close to The Big Thicket which is a badass National park. You're also only 3 hours away from New Orleans and the Atchafalaya bridge is a fun drive at speed.

I remember that bridge, we just got to Louisiana from Mississippi around 12, Dad wanted to go to T Coons in Lafayette that closed at 2:30, sped through a damn monsoon (He's the picture definition of a Foodie), made it there around 5 to 2 if I'm not mistaken

Looked up the park, looks nice and I see there's Armadillo's there, that's pretty sick. Guess going to Mardi Gras is pretty easy so long as you book ahead and arrive early, huh
Looks like I need to take another trip out, only question is roadtrip or fly and rent something inzane

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
Looks like I need to take another trip out, only question is roadtrip or fly and rent something inzane
I think Beaumont is very underrated and worth a visit. But it's got a bad rep in the state. Most people tell me they're sorry when I admit I'm from there.

Be advised the chicks in Btown can be kind of haggard looking and bitchy but the latinas are next level stuff. No matter they are all DTF. That was my biggest adjustment when I moved to South Florida the chics were not as promiscuous. I really had to work for my lunch down there. Beaumont, they fall in your lap.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I'm a fellow refugee from New Jersey (grew up in Neptune City, about twenty minutes from Colts Neck - I do very much miss Delicious Orchards).

I moved to South Carolina about 4.5 years ago, and it's the best decision I've ever made. You will NOT be disappointed!

JR