machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Fellas,

Who's into FPV (first person view) racing?
I've been into RC for over a decade and a few years ago I bought the first DJI phantom that came to market. Since then I've really gotten into FPV. It's such a blast and I recommend it to anyone that has any interest. It really sparked my interest in RC again.
I've not done any certified racing, only with a few friends, but it's a rush and SO fun, it's no wonder why it's taken off so well the last couple years.
I mainly fly FPV quads but others as well, quads seem to be the most fun to me.
Tell me if you do FPV, and your favorite set up.
My favorite is an off the shelf immersion vortex pro on 4s 1300 mah. I use a Spectrum DX9 and Fat shark Hd3 goggles with a diversified 2 RHCP receiver. I only go out 1/2 mile before I get afraid I'll lose reception and crash in a field.
Don't want to lose it!
Sponsored

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I'm just getting into it. I've been working on and procrastinating putting together a Hunter V-tail. Pre-ordered the Blade Torrent 110 FPV quad, which will be my first FPV, and have a set of Quanum Cyclops V2's. Radio is a JR 11x.

OP
OP
machsmith

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
It's a lot of fun, watch out, you'll get hooked.
How do you like those quantum v2's?
Good luck on the v-tail, I like the way those look. I haven't built a plane in a while I've been doing more Bind and fly recently, because of time.restraints.

Haha! yeah, I got the 110 on order as well. Should be a fun indoor flyer with a bit of outdoor capability in low winds.
I just picked up a 150 blade and on 4s that thing is probably my best dialed in quad yet and it's robust...Flys like a little rocket.
One tiny indoor fpv I recommend is the blade inductrix. The frames are frail so if you get it, use a drop of medium CA on all joints of the tiny plastic arms in the motor housing, of each motor, and your set. It's holding up great and it's awesome fun. Very stable flight.
I'm hoping the ground stations get cheaper as I'd like 720p resolution for fpv. It's not far off, maybe next year or two it will be in the $100 area for a long range high definition fpv ground station...not $1000!
Let me know.what you think of FPV once you get going on it.

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
The Quantums are great, I mean for $58, you really can't go wrong with them. I'd prefer a goggle setup because I tend to not like heavy things pressing down on my face, but I wanted something cheap to make sure I was going to enjoy it. As far as the inductrix, already have one ;-) I have one of the carbon fiber X braces on the bottom because I had heard of how weak the frame is, as well as a hydropdipped third party canopy, and upgraded faster motors from motor warehouse. I had also picked up another FPV cam with the goggles, great little cam, $26, switchable power from 25/50/250w. I plan on putting it on my fully hopped up Losi 1/24 desert truggy.

OP
OP
machsmith

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Good to know about the quantums. I got the immersion head set...the big bulky thing. I cant rember what i paid but it wasnt cheep... nothing is when first to market. They seem to work well. I caved and got a fat shark hd3 goggles worked 2 weeks now I have them sent in to fat shark for repair. Just stopped working. No picture, just grey.

Sweet man you know how nice that little inductrix is...it's a blast! I have the carbon brace but after I touched the motor stabilizers with medium CA never a problem. Not one busted so far anyway.
I terrorize the kids with it. Run a course thru my house. I changed out to a blue body and white blades. Bought the 3d printed travel case as well. They are a nice to store everything for easy access.
20170324_162012.jpg

Sponsored

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Nice. Here's my 3, you can tell how long the V tail has been sitting, I wiped the dust off the top for the pic.

OP
OP
machsmith

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Hahahahaha thick with dust :) . I understand that....Sometimes the time is lacking...and the funds. That thing is awesome...I'd like to do one of those someday. I bet it's fast too!
Here's a pic of what I've been flying lately.
My toy room is so loaded stuff has moved into the dinning room.
20170329_144142.jpg

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Nice collection. I got rid of my helis once I got into quads. Tho I'm thinking of picking up the new blade 130s that is coming out. I started on the blade msr, then went to the walkera V10D01, a couple of their fixed pitch, blade mcp, mcpx, 130, a couple others, tried building a copterx black angel, that bit the dust on first take off.

OP
OP
machsmith

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I like the 130S. No more dealing with that tail of the 130x. That thing pissed me off... too many vibes...worse than our 350s believe it or not, right?! Haha
Here is a pic of my, what was a man cave and now is a kids cave bwaaaaahahaha! This is only a partial. I'd like to get rid of most of it and just get fpv quads.
20170329_144637.jpg
20170329_144611.jpg
20170329_144656.jpg

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Lol damn right on the vibe thing. That's funny. I had a 150mm extended boom on mine with quad supports and it was still more all over the place then our tires in a 20 degree snow storm. That's one hell of a toy room, I'm jealous.

Sponsored

uglygun

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 289 2v, 95 Cobra, 05 GT, 15 GT Perf Pack
Started with fixed wing 4 years ago using 2m-2500 sized foamy gliders then weighing them down with so much gear they were hardly gliders anymore.

Figured out that longer distance flying was boring and proximity stuff was more fun. Lost interest for a couple years then saw what was possible with the new drones thanks to JohnnyFPV and Mr Steele along with RotorRiot.

Built a 3s VersaCopter and then crashed it moving to 4s on 6in props and only 12 amp escs. Go figure.

Now I have several built from a Flip360 on 1500kv and 7in props on doen to a goby 180.

Building a 220Martian now because no way I am paying 100+ for a frame on an Alien. Throwing 2300 Emax race specs with 5040x4 props and 30amp escs on it. Should be a nice upgrade from my standard goto 280 RMRC Nighthawks running 2000kv 6in props or 2300kv 5in props.

2300kv on a 5040 is a nice combo.

I mostly fly freestyle and try to find spots with nobody around.

Getting close to being done on parts/builds and need to go back to working on my cars.

OP
OP
machsmith

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Sounds like your busy at it! Nothing wrong with going alone, riding around up there without worries, is a lot of fun. I have a open field outside my door so I just sit down and go. I try to run a few packs a day to hone the skills.
Yesterday a prop came loose on the 150 vortex and it came down. I though I shut off the motors but when I found it the motors were turning and one was burned out. So I ordered a couple more and a speed control just in case.
Sponsored