Sponsored

Opg and cg install

Clays50th

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt 50th anniversary
I bought the the opg and cg to install this weekend but realized I might have needed to get the arp bolt. Is that a necessity?!?!? And how hard is it putting chain back on correctly?
Sponsored

FIVE_LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP Competition Orange
Yes necessary, stock bolt is Torque to yield (one time use). Not hard at all

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
The chain was the only scary thing just because if you're off a tooth everything comes back off.
What I did was put the keyway on the crankshaft at the 12 o clock position and had the QR code on the cam phasers visible. If theyre not, just rotate the crank, you're 180 out.
Mark the link that goes directly above the cam phasers L or R mark, and use another color to mark the link thats directly above the keyway on the crank.
Take a picture of the crank gear side just for reference because you're replacing the gear and wallah

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Yes you need the ARP bolt for sure. Do nothing more and nothing less than follow the simple Ford direction on how time remove chains and retime the motor. The Ford direction are so simple and many man here have done and will help you if you get stuck or have questions. I can send you the Ford instructions if needed.

Sponsored

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
like roh92cp said, simply follow the ford directions. Just remember that you don't remove both chains at the same time. One side gets removed then you turn the motor over like the directions say and remove the other side. I've never worked on this motor before and it was simple as long as you have some common sense and mechanical skills.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Oh crap, been driving mine for about 1000 miles with a non ARP bolt from Fastenal. Seeing that the ARP is required has me worried, I'm at work and just saw this thread. Think it's safe to drive home, or should I get a flatbed tow? The bolt from Fastenal was a grade 12.9 so it's stronger than stock, buts it's not from ARP.

dsp4848

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Magnetic
Or you can use another new OEM bolt from Ford. That's what I did and it worked great.

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Lol, the ARP bolt is not necessary. A new Ford bolt is perfectly fine.

Sponsored

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
But, but, but, two guys said it is absolutely needed. Hmm, maybe it's safe for me to drive it without one after all. Close call.
I think they just meant you need a new bolt. Not necessarily an ARP branded one.

dsp4848

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Magnetic
But, but, but, two guys said it is absolutely needed. Hmm, maybe it's safe for me to drive it without one after all. Close call.
Did you torque to the spec called out in the Ford service manual?

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Oh crap, been driving mine for about 1000 miles with a non ARP bolt from Fastenal. Seeing that the ARP is required has me worried, I'm at work and just saw this thread. Think it's safe to drive home, or should I get a flatbed tow? The bolt from Fastenal was a grade 12.9 so it's stronger than stock, buts it's not from ARP.
Or you can use another new OEM bolt from Ford. That's what I did and it worked great.
I'm sorry for the confusion, and I may have added to that. If you go with an after market damper then I would always us an ARP bolt. If you are installing stock damper than you could use either a NEW stock bolt or an ARP bolt. The stock bolts a torque to yield and can only be used once when torques down. The ARP bolts can be used more than once.

FIVE_LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP Competition Orange
^ditto