mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Hey everyone!

I wanted to ask for some opinions/advice from you guys that may have had the same situation that I am currently in.

To get to the meat of it, I need some suggestions how to get into the automotive world as a career.

I have a mechanical engineering degree that I finished almost two years ago. During school I did not participate in anything like FSAE (I tried, but got buried in school work) or other teams (such as Baja, Hybrid, etc.) Applied to major auto manufacturers during school, but I did not stand a chance and didn't get any interviews.

Anyways I am employed in a power distribution equipment manufacturer, but I am getting tired of the same grind. I am not interested in the work due to the product and it is making it hard to actually be excited about my work.

Since I am in Chicago, automotive is very limited. I was thinking about something like AMS Performance or another performance shop with its own engineering team would be the most ideal fit for me. I love having a mixture of design work and also hands-on. I want to stay in Chicago due to other obligations and just that this is a great area in terms of culture.

Any suggestions on how could I increase my chances in getting into this industry? I was thinking of getting an auto mechanic certification and maybe work as a mechanic for a few years, but I feel like that will not get me where I want to be.

I think the best fit for me would be something like AMS performance, where you engineer custom solutions to a particular car platform to push the limits of performance while still keeping it reliable and high quality.

If I could dedicate my knowledge towards cars I feel like it would allow me to appreciate my degree more and the interest would not only help me learn and grow at an accelerated pace, but also benefit any potential employer.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :cheers:
Sponsored

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Yeah.

1. Have no discernible skills
2. Become UAW plant worker
3. Profit

Just kidding, UAW guys...sorta.

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
Are you being realistic?

I mean after 36 years in IBM and 30 of those as a Manager I had to move twice to get the positions I wanted. It is unreasonable to think that the Automotive industry will have a job that you want where you happen to live. That is unless you live in California or Detroit or near the mfg plants in the southeast. You have to go where the job is, doing that shows you are committed. You are limiting yourself severely by saying you have to remain in the Chicago area.

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
Now that you have work experience why arent you sending in your updated resume and as stated you have to be willing to relocate.

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Get famous abd send your resume to " Missfit garage " in Dallas, TX. :thumbsup:

Kidding aside, good luck with your search, you seem a very interesting candidate.

Sponsored

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
Wow this sounds like a post I could have written. I am in a very similar boat as you although in a different location. Been trying to work up the motivation to put together a cleaner resume and draft up a cover letter. Then was going to just start search for any positions that are in or near my interest field (specifically engines). One thing I've heard from multiple recruiters and hiring managers is to not spam single companies with job applications for every position they have available as this looks bad for a number of reasons.

Another path I have been considering that I didn't see you mention (it might not be feasible for you) is going back to school for a Master's degree. There are various schools across the country that offer master's degrees in mechanical engineering with an automotive focus. Primarily I am looking at Clemson although I have only done cursory research into it. I know for me, the thought of being back in college is great until I remember how it sucks to not be making my own money, etc. Though I figure it would basically put me back at square one of being a new-grad although this time around I would have something automotive to put on my resume. Plus I firmly believe in the next 20+ years graduate level degrees are going hold similar stature as what a bachelors degree holds for the generation above us, aka they are going to be highly desired for the best paying positions.

I will add that life is a game of compromises and if you can't compromise on one thing (like where you live) you may have to compromise on others (like your job). Not hating, as I know moving is a massive life change for anyone, just wanted to throw that ancient Chinese proverb out there as it seemed applicable. :) On a side note if you want any advice or comments about moving I would gladly share, as my work sent me to another country for a little over a year only 8 months after graduating.

OP
OP
mindys

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Thanks for all the suggestion guys! Yeah I know the Chicago area is not where I should be for automotive. At least for another three years I will most likely stay in this area. After that, I will see what my options are for moving out. Detroit would probably be the best option since it is so close by to Chicago. California would be great, but the living expenses are a big turn off :eyebulge: That is something that I will have to start considering and planning if I decide to move out of this area.

In the mean time, getting a Master's degree might be a good option. Being a recent graduate would definitely help me to get back into the academic life faster than someone older than me. I think I need to do research of what schools have good programs related to automotive industry. I need to save some serious money so that I don't have to take a loan out for all that if I decide to go down that road :crazy:

Thanks for the suggestions. It gives me some guidance and inspiration to research more :cheers:

kornflake7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
Realistically you may have to move, my brother has a mechanical engineering degree and worked for ford for a number of years. In Ann Arbor across the street from Michigan University is where he lived (visited when I was much younger). He loved the job and got paid very well just didn't love the weather as we're from Texas so it's a big change. I would say applying to ford would be your best option and being that it isn't ridiculously far from where you currently are.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Way to get into the auto industry? Marry the daughter of someone who is...

OP
OP
mindys

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Realistically you may have to move, my brother has a mechanical engineering degree and worked for ford for a number of years. In Ann Arbor across the street from Michigan University is where he lived (visited when I was much younger). He loved the job and got paid very well just didn't love the weather as we're from Texas so it's a big change. I would say applying to ford would be your best option and being that it isn't ridiculously far from where you currently are.
Yes that would be the best for me in terms of location. I also have a friend who worked at Ford, so I could possibly get a recommendation from him. Never been to Detroit, I wonder what kind of state is it right now. How was the area when you visited, if you remember?
Sponsored