Sponsored

Pulling half-shafts out of the diff?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
They don't come out easily. My advice is to get a good pry bar, the longer the better (I would say at least 40"). You are going to have to get a little medieval on it, especially if the car is on jack stands. I think it's probably easier to do if the car is on a hoist. I had trouble and I'm a little bigger and stronger than average. But once I applied sufficient force and leverage they popped right out. They went back in fairly easily as well.

If your car is on jack stands, be 100% sure it's not going to come off and fall on you when you are cranking on the pry bar. I like to put a wheel or two under the car just in case. I'm sure you don't want to put the CF R wheels under there, but even though they are expensive your life is worth more.

OP
OP
Mach4.6

Mach4.6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350R, 11' GT500, 07' GT500, 04' Mach 1

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I got both of mine out by simply yanking hard on the end of the half shaft once I got it disconnected from the wheel hub. It takes a pretty good pull, but it pops right out. I tried to use a pry bar first and I couldn't get it to budge. Got frustrated, yanked and came right out. Felt quite dumb after. Ha

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Until I read this thread, and it caused me to research a bit more, I had no idea that the shafts could be removed without popping the diff cover and removing C-clips holding the shaft to the diff. This just made my life so much easier for the future.

OP
OP
Mach4.6

Mach4.6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350R, 11' GT500, 07' GT500, 04' Mach 1
Until I read this thread, and it caused me to research a bit more, I had no idea that the shafts could be removed without popping the diff cover and removing C-clips holding the shaft to the diff. This just made my life so much easier for the future.
It's still a b*tch!! lol

Sponsored

JohnVallo

1 5 4 8 3 7 2 6
Threads
Reaction score
Website
racersreunion.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350, Shadow Black, Whipple Supercharged
Slide Hammer for sure !
For those having trouble popping half shafts out of differential, there is a little trick to it.
Everyone in the videos say pry it out with pry-bar against diff housing and metal housing of half shaft. On some models you can pry all day and even use two bars and axle still won't budge. On a GT350 I almost broke my 4ft pry-bar, still no luck.
The trick is to use a blunt force. This will cause the inner c-clip to release.
I used a "Tire Bead breaker tool" (Pictured) I positioned the flat end on the half shaft metal housing and gave a gentle slide-hammer with tool, and it popped out right away.
Actually, the guy who said use a long 1/2" extension and big hammer was pretty good advice for those who can't get ahold of a slide hammer device.
IMG_0537a.jpg

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I got both of mine out by simply yanking hard on the end of the half shaft once I got it disconnected from the wheel hub. It takes a pretty good pull, but it pops right out. I tried to use a pry bar first and I couldn't get it to budge. Got frustrated, yanked and came right out. Felt quite dumb after. Ha
I've never pulled the shafts from this car, but as an off-topic Public Service Announcement - yanking a half-shaft by hand is a great recipe for pulling your back out or herniating a disk. No criticism at all to honeybadger, just don't want to see you guys get hurt.

Dominator

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Trying to pull my half-shafts on my R, but they don't to want to come out of the diff.
I've watched all the video's online but mine won't come out that easy?
Any help?
Thanks
I used a slide hammer axle fork super easy.
Sponsored