Sponsored

Do we lose the puddle lamps (pony lights) for 2018?

foqus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1963 Volkswagen Beetle, 2018 Mustang GT
On the Standard Features list that I saw for 2017, the pony puddle lights remain.

On the Standard Features list that I saw for 2018, they are not listed. Obviously not a deal breaker, but does anyone know for certain if the lights will continue for model year 2018?

marco
Sponsored

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
I hope not. That would be a near-deal breaker for me. I know they are a small thing, but it is a neat feature that adds character. Everyone who has seen those on my car has thought they were awesome. Kind of like the sequential tail lights...they need to be a mainstay now IMHO.

pike1346

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang 5.0 Premium
I hope they make them to where water does not get in them. I just had mine replaced under warranty b/c they were all distorted on both sides......Hopefully they make a better design

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
I hope they make them to where water does not get in them. I just had mine replaced under warranty b/c they were all distorted on both sides......Hopefully they make a better design
My mirror glass came unglued on passenger side and within a day the puddle light was a blob on the ground. Dealership replaced both under warranty no-questions-asked and were very nonchalant about it. Must happen a lot.

BULLITTGUY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium w/ Performance Pack
Didn't Ford file a patent for an "animated" pony projection puddle light recently? I can't see them getting rid of it now after all the work they put into it. I mean, they even have the push button start light beating the same as horse, lol. Seems like they go overboard with the little details.

Sponsored

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
Reason to buy a 2018 Ford Mustang GT

Ok I think I will trade in my 2017 for animated mustang puddle lights.
Just like these: :

[ame]

:headbang:

:cheers:

:ford:

Last edited:

Alw612

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Fusion
I've always wondered how effective those lights are at actually illuminating the ground. From pictures, it seems that the actual projected light is quite small and the surrounding area is dark. For those of you with the light, does it work well or is it more or less a gimmick?

OP
OP
foqus

foqus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can't tell for certain from this photo

This photo was taken from a still of the Ford video comparing the 2017 and the 2018. I can't really tell if this shows the puddle lamps on the 2018, or if it might just be a reflection of the road line.
Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 11.11.07 AM (1).png

OP
OP
foqus

foqus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I've always wondered how effective those lights are at actually illuminating the ground. From pictures, it seems that the actual projected light is quite small and the surrounding area is dark. For those of you with the light, does it work well or is it more or less a gimmick?
I have had 4 Ford's with puddle lamps, none have been of much use and the 2 Mustangs with the Pony lamps even less so. IMHO, they are strictly a novelty item same as the MyColor for the instruments.

Sponsored

Zombie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LFG GT350
The OF 18 I saw at National Trail last month had the lamps. I will post a pic as soon as I get back to a laptop. I was taking photos trying to see if my overlays would fit the new stang.

And imho, I also agree it's novelty more than anything. BUT it gets a lot of positive comments from non-stang people. :)

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
Add tint to them, it will stop water spots from forming on the lens, which is the issue

Jim Bronson

Red One
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Coupe Six Speed
I think it's great. The projected image is about 20" from nose to tail. Everyone notices them and comments. Yes it is a gimmick, but a really nice one IMO. An animated one would be even cooler.

TruBlue16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT w/PP
They are cool looking but not reliable at all. My drivers side one has been all distorted and messed up for a while. I've just been too lazy to bring it into the dealer for replacement.

OP
OP
foqus

foqus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What about those colored stickers for the lights?

I've seen how one can cover the pony light lens and turn their pony on the ground blue or red or green or purple etc etc.

Has anyone ever delicately tried to cover just a third of the lens with red and then the last third of the lens blue, in order to make a red white and blue projection?
Sponsored