Sponsored

Ford Becomes #2 in JD Power's 2017 Initial Quality; Mustang Takes Top Quality Honors

Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Ford has improved to #2 for non-premium brands (and tied for #4 for all brands) in J.D. Power's 2017 Initial Quality Study. The Ford Mustang took top quality honors in its segment (Midsize Sporty Car).

JD Power 2017 Initial Quality - Midsize Sporty Car.png

17_MUSTANG_V6.jpg

Ford Becomes No. 2 Non-Premium Brand in J.D. Power's 2017 Initial Quality Study; Ford's Best Ranking in Report's 31-Year History

• Ford has earned the No. 2 ranking of all non-premium brands in this year’s J.D. Power Initial Quality Study – the brand’s best ranking in the report’s 31-year history
  • Expedition and Mustang earn segment quality awards, with seven Ford and Lincoln models leading the top three of their segments
  • Ford’s has been improving the capability and quality of new technologies, including SYNC 3 equipped on 70 percent of vehicles

DEARBORN, Mich., June 21, 2017 – Ford has jumped to No. 2 of all non-premium brands in J.D. Power’s 2017 Initial Quality Study – the brand’s best-ever ranking in the annual study now in its 31st year.

The Ford brand improved to 86 problems per 100 vehicles from 102 in 2016. This improvement helped Ford tie for fourth among all brands from 11th in 2016.

“As Ford accelerates the pace of innovation, we believe this best-ever quality ranking demonstrates our new technologies are reliable and easy to use,” said Bennie Fowler, group vice president, Quality. “The rapid improvements rated by third-party quality experts such as J.D. Power motivate us to improve our fitness even more as quality is a race that’s never finished.”

Seven Ford and Lincoln vehicles are in the top three in their respective segments. Ford Expedition and Mustang took top quality honors in their segments.

Ford is delivering new innovations with better quality than average as the industry has faced challenges rolling out new advancements such as connectivity and driver-assist features. Specifically, Ford is:

• Equipping approximately 70 percent of vehicles with advanced SYNC 3 technology with significant quality improvements
  • Offering more models in the United States with popular driver-assist features such as adaptive cruise control and forward collision warning than any other full-line manufacturer.
  • Continuing the rapid rollout of advanced EcoBoost engine technology and lightweighting innovations such as aluminum-bodied F-Series trucks – combining to deliver improved performance, capability and efficiency.

“We are moving into an exciting new period of innovation in transportation, so it is very important to keep the human experience at the center of all we do, including delivering any new technology with quality,” said Fowler.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...6/21/ford-jd-power-initial-quality-study.html
Sponsored

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Initial quality doesn't really mean much (or anything?). Ford is almost dead last on vehicle dependability.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
Wait...Dodge beat mustang and camaro powertrain mechanical quality? :lol:

I feel like someone had a bone to pick with Chevy during this lol.

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
Wait...Dodge beat mustang and camaro powertrain mechanical quality? :lol:

I feel like someone had a bone to pick with Chevy during this lol.

I would seem that way!

I take what JD Power says with a grain of salt.

Not saying anything is bad about our beloved mustangs, but these are the same guys that typically give Chrysler low end cars their awards.

Is it cool the Stang got this award? Yes. It will likely give ford a boost in sales as well.

Binfordtools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Nothing is worse than FIAT \ Chrysler \ Dodge \ Jeep.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

I wonder what Mawk will have to say about this?
This. It's Mahk about Chevy's ahwahds. I especially liked the "Tom Brady wouldn't even take your stupid free truck" award. That's quite an honor!

[ame]

Binfordtools

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
Nothing is worse than FIAT \ Chrysler \ Dodge \ Jeep.
Personal experience states otherwise. On my 4th lease Ram with zero, and I do mean zero problems. Last 1500, and now current 2500 Ram pulls a 30ft. camper. Wife is on her 3rd Wrangler with only one very minor trim problem. Meanwhile, less than 800 miles on my Mustang with 4 significant paint chips, and a notchy transmission.

Like I said, just my personal experience. I'm sure others have other viewpoints.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
The award for most made up number of awards!

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Personal experience states otherwise. On my 4th lease Ram with zero, and I do mean zero problems. Last 1500, and now current 2500 Ram pulls a 30ft. camper. Wife is on her 3rd Wrangler with only one very minor trim problem. Meanwhile, less than 800 miles on my Mustang with 4 significant paint chips, and a notchy transmission.

Like I said, just my personal experience. I'm sure others have other viewpoints.
2013 Dodge Dart 1.8L Turbo, ended up driving itself and accelerating on its own, massive ECU / Electrical issues. Lemon Lawed.

2015 Jeep Renegade, 27 miles on the Odometer. Car went into Limp Mode on the drive home. Drove back. Techs could not determine what the problem was. Given a loaner Renegade, 200 miles, check engine light came on during the rental.

Third Jeep Renegade, surprisingly, it worked with no CELs. Yeah, Chrysler is a giant piece of shit. They think it's okay to crush ignition wires in new Renegade engines in Italy when placing the engine in the bay calling it a "known issue".

I'm staying far away. One of the only reasons I'd never buy a Challenger and I actually like that car. Their quality overall is just absolute shit and it's all over the web on multiple vehicles.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Can't wait for the thread in the other place. I think they used these past numbers before. Now "these numbers don't matter Ford paid them off #profits".

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
2013 Dodge Dart 1.8L Turbo, ended up driving itself and accelerating on its own, massive ECU / Electrical issues. Lemon Lawed.

2015 Jeep Renegade, 27 miles on the Odometer. Car went into Limp Mode on the drive home. Drove back. Techs could not determine what the problem was. Given a loaner Renegade, 200 miles, check engine light came on during the rental.

Third Jeep Renegade, surprisingly, it worked with no CELs. Yeah, Chrysler is a giant piece of shit. They think it's okay to crush ignition wires in new Renegade engines in Italy when placing the engine in the bay calling it a "known issue".

I'm staying far away. One of the only reasons I'd never buy a Challenger and I actually like that car. Their quality overall is just absolute shit and it's all over the web on multiple vehicles.
Dart had a 1.4T. Also Fiat assembles the Renegade not Chrysler, yes they are the same company but we all know the Italians arent known for quality unless your spending 6 figures. Most of the recent issues stem from the ZF sourced 9 speed which affects other OEM's as well. I've been driving Mopars since the Diamler days along with most of my family and my 200 is the only one thats had a major issue and its with the ZF 9 speed. I do agree that FCA really needs to put a major focus on quality but I dont think that will happen until Sergio leaves, hes a bean counter and only cares about the bottom line. The LX cars built in Canada are some of the better ones to come out of any of the plants.
Sponsored