Sponsored

Oil Consumption

huachucastang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium 6MT PP
My ecoboost is using a quart every 2500 miles...is that excessive?I have no leaks and don't see any smoke.
Sponsored

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Shouldn't be using any oil period!, are you blowing smoke out the back or something, you need to have it looked at.

TC

EAndre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
E
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Base 6MT Recaros Sold
I lose about half a quart every 5,000 miles. I keep finding it in the catch can lol

Wally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Challenger Scat Pack
I lose about half a quart every 5,000 miles. I keep finding it in the catch can lol
That does seem a little excessive but I don't know much about the ecoboost motors.

Sponsored

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
By the OPs account thats 2QTS every oil change, that is very excessive. One quart per Oil change is a little on the high side as well, but with the issues with the PCV system we have noted its not surprising but thats alot of oil to burn through if not just leaking somewhere in 2500 miles.

I lose maybe 3 to 6 oz of oil in my catch can maybe every 3800 miles. I have never been down 1 full quart between oil changes.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
The generally accepted consumption rate by the car manufacturers is 1 qt per 1000 miles.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
I went 7000 miles between the last oil changes and it didn't use any measurable amount of oil. So, yeah, that is a lot for a modern engine. But I had a Mercedes that used a qt every 3000 miles and Mercedes claimed it was within normal tolerances for that engine.

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
I know when l first got my car (a GT) I experienced some initial oil consumption within like the first 1200 miles or so.
I now see almost none outside of what the catch can retains.

Sponsored

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
By the OPs account thats 2QTS every oil change, that is very excessive. One quart per Oil change is a little on the high side as well, but with the issues with the PCV system we have noted its not surprising but thats alot of oil to burn through if not just leaking somewhere in 2500 miles.

I lose maybe 3 to 6 oz of oil in my catch can maybe every 3800 miles. I have never been down 1 full quart between oil changes.
I see about the same consumption, but I am only just passing 7k on the factory oil (semi-syn blend). The motor craft oil has a some what high NOAC value so boil off is expected (aka higher consumption rate).

Assuming there's not an issue with the rings or a leak in the head gasket or oil pan, the only other places it would likely go (and this is actually most likely) if through he PCV system or through the turbo bearing seals.

2015 models have a design flaw in the oil separator which causes too much crank case pressure and forces oil out of the turbo bearing seals (aka smoking exhaust or lots of suit out the tail pipes). Also excessive oil vaporization will cause similar problems regarding consumption but likely less suite out the exhaust as it's actually burning oil in the combustion chamber as opposed to bleeding it into the catalytic converter.

Last catch can empty was at about 2500 miles and there was maybe 1/4 to a 1/3 of a red solo cup worth in there. That's with a mix of daily driving and some what frequent hard driving and a few hours of sustained WOT fun. If I do all regular driving I see quite a bit less in the catch can.

I would suggest trying a very low NOAC rated oil for a while and see if consumption is less. Also it might be worth it to install a UPR Dual Valve Catch Can and see how much is going through you PCV system after 1k miles to give you an idea of where it's going.