James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Same tranny, Ford and Chevy went in together on it.
The SS has an 8 speed automatic developed in house.

The Mustang and ZL1 have the GM/Ford 10 speed automatic.

So, no, not the same transmission.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
The SS has an 8 speed automatic developed in house.

The Mustang and ZL1 have the GM/Ford 10 speed automatic.

So, no, not the same transmission.
Sorry, I was wrong about the tranny! Still though, if a A6 and A8 have same mph as there manual counter parts I don't see a A10 being much different. Even if the manual is 1 or 2 mph off the auto It's still a bigger bump than there claiming. I guess we will have to see.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
UAmach1

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Sport, I was wrong about the tranny! Still though, if a A6 and A8 have same mph as there manual counter parts I don't see a A10 being much different. Even if the manual is 1 or 2 mph off the auto It's still a bigger bump than there claiming. I guess we will have to see.
So you see no difference in comparing a 6spd manual and a 6/8spd with more drive train loss, vs a 10spd with the same loss as the manual? You are literally merging the better power delivery of the more efficient 6SPD manual and the better gearing of well.. having more gears to keep you IN the powerband.

This is simple physics AND I FAILED PHYSICS!

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So you see no difference in comparing a 6spd manual and a 6/8spd with more drive train loss, vs a 10spd with the same loss as the manual? You are literally merging the better power delivery of the more efficient 6SPD manual and the better gearing of well.. having more gears to keep you IN the powerband.

This is simple physics AND I FAILED PHYSICS!
I understand the A10 will be more efficient just not to the level that you guys are saying. Realistically the A10 is going to be in 5th gear when it hits 1320ft. The exact gear I don't know so if someone has that info please share. Any way regardless of gearing and transmissions a 7-8 mph increase seams to warrant more than a 25 hp bump. Earlier I said 35 because most people seems to agree it is slightly over rated, but if were talking #'s lets use what ford "claims" it is. My car has the PP2 which is a 25 hp bump from stock. So with that said, if a new 18 GT PP 6spd only got a 25 HP bump it should trap the same as my car then, right? My car traps 115 mph. My prediction is a 18 GT PP2 6spd will trap faster than me. When we get some manuals out there running then I guess we'll get a better idea. Regardless the changes to the coyote/A10 combo is truly amazing! Well done ford!:ford:

Mike K.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
I never really wanted an auto until this tranny, I love the feeling of shifting gears but it's impossible to ignore the performance benefits of the A10 at this point. It'll be sad but if /when I get my next stang that A10 will have to be there.

OP
OP
UAmach1

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
I understand the A10 will be more efficient just not to the level that you guys are saying. Realistically the A10 is going to be in 5th gear when it hits 1320ft. The exact gear I don't know so if someone has that info please share. Any way regardless of gearing and transmissions a 7-8 mph increase seams to warrant more than a 25 hp bump. Earlier I said 35 because most people seems to agree it is slightly over rated, but if were talking #'s lets use what ford "claims" it is. My car has the PP2 which is a 25 hp bump from stock. So with that said, if a new 18 GT PP 6spd only got a 25 HP bump it should trap the same as my car then, right? My car traps 115 mph. My prediction is a 18 GT PP2 6spd will trap faster than me. When we get some manuals out there running then I guess we'll get a better idea. Regardless the changes to the coyote/A10 combo is truly amazing! Well done ford!:ford:
It's NOT just the HP. It's HP + TQ + power band + faster shifts + staying inside that power-range BETTER than the 6spd. Those all add up.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It's NOT just the HP. It's HP + TQ + power band + faster shifts + staying inside that power-range BETTER than the 6spd. Those all add

I understand all that. So, if a manual only traps 115 than we can all agree that the A10 is what makes all the difference. But on the other hand if a manual traps close to 119 than we will know these cars are definitely underated.

Sponsored

OSUbrew

Beach Bum
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I'll never get an auto transmission regardless of how much faster it is. It just takes a lot of the fun factor out of the car for me personally.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's NOT just the HP. It's HP + TQ + power band + faster shifts + staying inside that power-range BETTER than the 6spd. Those all add up.
Torque and HP don't add together, and horsepower is a number that takes torque into account. Torque is completely meaningless if you are analyzing performance. That's why quarter mile calculators never use torque. The torque produced by the engine won't tell you anything about how quick the car is.

I agree with your statements about staying in the power band.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
It's NOT just the HP. It's HP + TQ + power band + faster shifts + staying inside that power-range BETTER than the 6spd. Those all add

I understand all that. So, if a manual only traps 115 than we can all agree that the A10 is what makes all the difference. But on the other hand if a manual traps close to 119 than we will know these cars are definitely underated.
I think the auto and manual will trap more or less the same speeds.
It will be the 60ft of auto that will be the difference from a time perspective

I will be my DD so therefore I have opted for the Auto. However I think for a pure experience I would go for the manual. But sitting in traffic jams etc with a manual is not that fun...

OP
OP
UAmach1

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI

We already know what they both dyno.. repeatedly.. and it's in the 413-423 range. There is no underrating.

OSUbrew

Beach Bum
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
A leggy 6 speed manual will not get into that sweet power plateau like the 10 speed auto, the first seven gears of which are spaced nicely close ratio.

It's coming to the point where there is no point ordering a manual GT, you might as well have a manual ecoboost for the fun of rowing your own gears.
Different strokes for different folks. Just like i wouldn't buy an auto, i also wouldn't buy an ecoboost.
Sponsored