2021 MUSTANG (S650) - 7th Generation Mustang Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The new one is called a fast back, but it’s nothing but a name. Its more or less just a standard coupe profile. Attach below is a more accurate fastback profile. Similar to the profile of the new AMG GT.
The AMG looks more like a sway back than a fast back. There are two different angles with a weird looking junction between them. It looks like a Porsche at the bottom tacked onto a more typical fast back shape.
Sponsored

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
Aston Martin just came up with this look and it reminds me of the prototype rendering. I LIKE!
Good call.

I like it overall, but the $100,000 performance car market is already crowded with fantastic entries (the gorgeous and capable F-Type R, the Cayman 718 GTS (fully loaded), the 911 Carrera 4, etc).

I like the back but the front end has weird headlights and no "jawline", making it look more like a dust buster than I'd like, especially considering how gorgeous Aston Martins usually are from the front.

The neon yellow color on the other car they showed is eye popping though.

:cheers:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Good call.

I like it overall, but the $100,000 performance car market is already crowded with fantastic entries (the gorgeous and capable F-Type R, the Cayman 718 GTS (fully loaded), the 911 Carrera 4, etc).

I like the back but the front end has weird headlights and no "jawline", making it look more like a dust buster than I'd like, especially considering how gorgeous Aston Martins usually are from the front.

The neon yellow color on the other car they showed is eye popping though.

:cheers:
Here's my personal render to correct that. I agree with you.
vantage_lip.JPG

Vato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Saleen White Label
Vehicle Showcase
The front end on the Aston looks like a whale shark dust busting plankton. I'm more of an ass man anyway.

Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
The front end on the Aston looks like a whale shark dust busting plankton. I'm more of an ass man anyway.
Must be kin to the Lexus.

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
Topnotch confirmed in July that the S650 would be built on the all-new D6R platform.
Actually, I am the one that confirmed that tidbit of information in relation to "D6R" back in post #351 of this thread. I think don't anyone else until then, made mention of D6R anywhere else online (save for Ford employees/affiliates/supplier personnel in private circles).

The S550 is all new.

Back in 2011/2012 the original plan was to evolve the S197 platform, however that was trashed in 2013 and they started a from the ground up.
I think your estimated timeline runs rather late. S197 platform was in the cards back in 2009-10. By 2011-2012, many aspects of the S550 program were getting finalized and such a decision had to have been made by then. 2013 was mostly spent building prototypes to design spec, testing them, and etc. Pilot builds already were already rolling out by late 2013.

The final exterior was set in Q1 2012 and interior freeze completed in June 2012. Exterior freeze was around late November/early Dec 2012, already running very late.

The all-new "D6" platform is the donor platform which D6R is based on, so Mustang won't be getting it's own unique platform, rather, it will be part of a modular platform. While that may mean some compromises in the traditional Mustang design it will allow much cost-sharing that is required to keep it feasible, affordable, and competitive.
:amen:
What does this have to do with the S650 exactly? Just ideas for the fascia? Those would be 7-8 year old proposals at this point.

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
18.jpg

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
2.jpg

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Not bad but is it me or does anyone else see hints of Camaro with that first render?

That second one is awesome. Where can I sign up to hand over my money?

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
Sketch #1 certainly represents the size, dimensions and styling direction I am expecting for the S650.
#2 however, looks like an ‘05-‘09 S197 that’s been modified Hot Wheels style...no thanks.

Last edited:

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Yeah, those are in no way in line with what it'll look like. The second one is definitely off...the artist went as retro as possible and it's obvious that Ford has completely moved away from retro styling.

People should just photoshop the 2018s and make the proportions/confrontational designs even more exaggerated and that's probably what we'll get for the S650.

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Yeah, those are in no way in line with what it'll look like. The second one is definitely off...the artist went as retro as possible and it's obvious that Ford has completely moved away from retro styling.

People should just photoshop the 2018s and make the proportions/confrontational designs even more exaggerated and that's probably what we'll get for the S650.
I expect it will be somewhere between SN95 and S550 size-wise, and it will hopefully get the F150 aluminum chassis treatment. Design-wise, I look at the facelift for 2018, and keep thinking about the 4 gen Camaro versus the 5th gen. I hope they keep more Mustang elements in the design than they did with the Foxbody. I do think the S650 may have a lot of the same design elements as an Aston Martin -- that wouldn't be so bad. Does anyone know who is on the design team, and what other projects they have worked on? I do like the retro rendering -- the last on Topnotch posted -- I could really go for that! More S197 than S197, more S550 than S550.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.