My dealer wants inside my voodoo!!

BailoutBowtie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KonaKid Chris
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
My 5.0 used quite a bit of oil upon breaking it in. I'd drive it hard for a lil bit, not to sure you even have an issue.
Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I change my oil every 1,000 miles. Never needed any in between. Maybe a dash.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
I change my oil every 1,000 miles. Never needed any in between. Maybe a dash.
Every 1000? Wtf that is a huge waste unless you are tracking it every time.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I like to waste oil. Besides, isn't an engine that needs to add 24 quarts thru the air wasting it more than I am recycling it? I change it every 6 months and I'm usually 1000 miles in that time frame. This isn't my daily driver.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I like to waste oil. Besides, isn't an engine that needs to add 24 quarts thru the air wasting it more than I am recycling it? I change it every 6 months and I'm usually 1000 miles in that time frame. This isn't my daily driver.
Seems like you are doing it right as far as I can tell.

Sponsored

OP
OP

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350 magnetic/black tech
So what happened here. Car fixed? What was the promised freebie?
The valve seals arrived May 2017 and were installed July 2017. ( ordered May 2016 ). Ford gave me a $2000 credit to be spent at my dealership. I put the credit towards a new set of tires. They asked that I should start logging mileage and oil consumption in a book. The car was parked in October for the winter and wont be on the road till April 2018. In the 1645 miles that I drove from the time it was repaired It has consumed 3.5 quarts of oil or one quart per 475 miles.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
Anyone know what kind of ring package they use in these engines? If using the typical low tension ring sets that are in most news cars today, they may just not be up to frequent 8200 rpm bursts. Wouldn't probably explain why a 350 burns oil literally from the day it's driven off the dealer lot though. Yeah - a couple valve seals sounded like a diversion.

TRAC WPN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY16 Gt350Track
you said you were using amsoil, try switch to motorcraft. I don't want to start an oil debate, but I believe you will experience less consumption. Since I don't mind doing more frequent oil changes, I will stick with the oem oil.

OP
OP

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
you said you were using amsoil, try switch to motorcraft. I don't want to start an oil debate, but I believe you will experience less consumption. Since I don't mind doing more frequent oil changes, I will stick with the oem oil.
Actually I had switched over to motorcraft last spring. I do oil changes when the car asks for one. Bought 8 cases of motorcraft and have 4 left!!Read up on both oils and found they are both good quality.I have some lucas on order to try next. If anything I used more oil than usual since having the valve seals done however those measurements are from the cooler months. I will continue logging it all of next year and see how the consumption is affected by temps as I daily it April-October.

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
The valve seals arrived May 2017 and were installed July 2017. ( ordered May 2016 ). Ford gave me a $2000 credit to be spent at my dealership. I put the credit towards a new set of tires. They asked that I should start logging mileage and oil consumption in a book. The car was parked in October for the winter and wont be on the road till April 2018. In the 1645 miles that I drove from the time it was repaired It has consumed 3.5 quarts of oil or one quart per 475 miles.
That's horseshit. Sorry that you're going through this. I don't think most dealers have a clue what they are doing and Ford is horrible at customer support in an appropriate manner.

Sponsored

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
Anyone know what kind of ring package they use in these engines? If using the typical low tension ring sets that are in most news cars today, they may just not be up to frequent 8200 rpm bursts. Wouldn't probably explain why a 350 burns oil literally from the day it's driven off the dealer lot though. Yeah - a couple valve seals sounded like a diversion.
My 17 has 2000 miles on it and it's still running the original oil. The level has moved negligibly. It's at the bottom of the top hole on the stick. I haven't beaten on the car, but I drive it in a spirited fashion frequently and have taken it close to the limiter a number of times.

OP
OP

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's horseshit. Sorry that you're going through this. I don't think most dealers have a clue what they are doing and Ford is horrible at customer support in an appropriate manner.
I believe you are correct on both accounts. This car is new and different for the dealer and ford service.I have relayed pages and pages of information that I have learned on this forum and from other sources to both of them as I have a keen interest in what I put my hard earned money into. I will say both parties have been extremely kind and empathetic in our dealings thus far and I have no hostility to the people I have dealt with. They are keen to help in any way possible it seems

rj45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic Metallic
My 17 has 2000 miles on it and it's still running the original oil. The level has moved negligibly. It's at the bottom of the top hole on the stick. I haven't beaten on the car, but I drive it in a spirited fashion frequently and have taken it close to the limiter a number of times.
+1

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
My 17 has 2100 miles on it and never been above 4000 rpm and I had to put a quart of oil in it cause it was right at the bottom hole.

Lightning Blue GT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Duey
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 #H2996, 12 FX35, 09 G37S
JOHNNY1.... Man you have no clue what you are missing Rev that thing to 8K in second or third gear!! I bet the smile on you face will be there for a few hours....
I have had mine since March 17 I just rolled 1750 miles I check the oil all the time and so far I have not lost any. I took it really easy for the first 500 miles then i started giving a little more throttle here and there. I love the feeling rolling into 2nd gear and about half of third what a rush.
Sponsored