Sponsored

Track the GT350 or Build a Track Car?

fuhrius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, Focus RS, Raptor

But, for comparison - a GT3 RS has a power to weight ratio of about .1508 compared to a GT350R at .1441. (For absurd comparison a McClaren P1 is .2736). The Miata is .0665.

So we’re pretty close to a RS - on the heavy side sure, but only 300lbs more than a MclClaren (though much less power).

Financially I get it. But power to weight wise I just don’t agree when people say this car is inefficient for the track compared to what others agree are excellent track cars.
I think this misses the point on weight...I don't think anyone saying the car is too heavy is talking about power-to-weight ratio...they're talking about absolute weight which drive consumables.
Sponsored

fuhrius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, Focus RS, Raptor
A big piece missing from this discussion, in my mind, is safety. tracking street cars, especially something like the R that is just so darn fast, is a pretty risky proposition. I'm moving away from spending any time on track in a car that's not fully caged / prepped. It may just be how 'close to home' the safety thing is for you...but I've had a bad wreck at the track and my perspective on safety is influenced by that. Fortunately, I was in a well-prepped car and the only thing bruised on me was my ego.

OP
OP
firestarter2

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
A big piece missing from this discussion, in my mind, is safety. tracking street cars, especially something like the R that is just so darn fast, is a pretty risky proposition. I'm moving away from spending any time on track in a car that's not fully caged / prepped. It may just be how 'close to home' the safety thing is for you...but I've had a bad wreck at the track and my perspective on safety is influenced by that. Fortunately, I was in a well-prepped car and the only thing bruised on me was my ego.
I have a 4 point and a hans. I find the GT350 pretty safe. The stability control will get you out of most things unless you really f!@!#!#.

I try when on the track to push where safe and take it some what easy where I am doing 140 approaching a wall :)

My general thought is that I am safer on the track then speeding on the highway.

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I think this misses the point on weight...I don't think anyone saying the car is too heavy is talking about power-to-weight ratio...they're talking about absolute weight which drive consumables.
Missing the point when I said "Financially I get it"?

Sponsored

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I have a 4 point and a hans. I find the GT350 pretty safe. The stability control will get you out of most things unless you really f!@!#!#.

I try when on the track to push where safe and take it some what easy where I am doing 140 approaching a wall :)

My general thought is that I am safer on the track then speeding on the highway.
Not to be rude here, and maybe your comment was out of context, but you can't really be pushing on track with stability on.

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
Not to be rude here, and maybe your comment was out of context, but you can't really be pushing on track with stability on.
Yeah you can’t learn to ride a bike with training wheels on. Errr wait, maybe you can? They didn’t have stability control back when I was a young’un. Buuuuuut, i had intermittent ABS at some point and was thankful.

That said, I can’t quite imagine “pushing” i.e. learning on track with stability control interference.

What would Paul Newman or Steve McQueen say? ;)

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
I guess you didn’t really read what I posted but that’s ok because we agree. Sorry about your wreck. I’ve had a few too. As they say, never take anything to the track that you can’t ball up in turn 1 and not cry. Or insure it.

If you can afford a GT350, you can afford a helmet, a hoop and decent harness.

OP
OP
firestarter2

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I run in track mode, I dont run in full off. It does annoy me at times but ive seen enough crashes at the track from things the stability control would save you from. I may turn of next season though.

And yes you fuck up your braking at 140 the stability control isnt going to help you at all.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I sure have passed an S-load of people on the road course with the GT350 mode set to normal. At the track attack they asked us to run in "Sport" mode. I don't think the mode has anything to do with whether the driver is pushing the car. Driving fast on the track has nothing to do with doing smoky burnouts.
Sponsored