Sponsored

Official: 2018 Mustang GT Has 460HP, 0-60MPH in Under 4.0 Secs; EcoBoost Sub 5-Secs

StangLuver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Im disagreeing that this is a worth while comparison. It does matter what driver is driving. The inconsistencies with an average driver's vary between them. The worst driver of the group could have gotten a better time depending on the time of day, track conditions ot different day in different weather. These articles are "supposed" to show which is the fastest period, not fastest with varied conditions and skills all over the place riddled with inconsistencies that come with average driver's. So yes, at the,very least you want pros not some guy who thinks he's good. Having roughly 500hrs of road course time myself, you and I will never agree I don't think, you're welcomed to your opinion though. These articles are for sub par drivers and bench racers in my opinion.
The literal definition of bench racing is what you're suggesting; have pros test the cars, doing times and using technique none of us will ever have. Therefore producing unrealistic and unachievable results.

Some of these guys have done hundreds, if not thousands of laps of VIR over the last decade. Just because they're not sponsored as race drivers doesn't mean they can't get good times out of any/all cars. And again, regardless of what inconsistencies from lap to lap you suggest are the case, each driver does multiple laps and they only keep the best lap of all laps. So, again. Not the best times any car might be capability of, but comparable against each other.

We could put YOU in every car, have you do 20 laps in each, keeping the fastest, and I would argue that I could indeed compare the cars results against each other. That you think Car and Driver has wasted the last ten years doing Lightning Lap testing outs the onus on you to demonstrate why. Unless you know more about cars than all of them?
Sponsored

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Sounds exactly like this forum! Only difference is they drive camaros instead of '15-17 GT's:D
Sure......please don't ever compare me or most others to some of those tools on that forum. I get you have a personal issue with the 15-17 cars but you don't have to spam it.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
The 2018MY Coyote car is both port and direct injection. If a GT350 intake manifold properly fits the 2018 Coyote engine, there's no reason it couldn't be made to work.

Direct injection wouldn't mean anything.
Honestly, I assumed they would change the injection angle and possibly mounting configuration to make way for direct injection.

I guess we'll find out soon.

The way Ford packaged the DI system(beneath the intake manifold) gives me some hope there are current manifolds that will fit. I'm going to assume possible areas that won't jive will be the port shapes if they were altered to fit the DI injectors.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
The 2018MY Coyote car is both port and direct injection. If a GT350 intake manifold properly fits the 2018 Coyote engine, there's no reason it couldn't be made to work.

Direct injection wouldn't mean anything.
I agree but the problem is cracking the ecu for tuning and reliability issues. When you figure out all that the S650 will be out already. So the question is are you going to keep the car for at least 5 years?

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I agree but the problem is cracking the ecu for tuning and reliability issues. When you figure out all that the S650 will be out already. So the question is are you going to keep the car for at least 5 years?

The ECU will be cracked within days IMO.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Let's not start talking mods. I told my self I wasn't going to mod this time lol.

I mod everything I own. I live for mods. Cars, guns, cameras, my favorite video games are centered around customize-ability(Fallout 4 etc).

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP

cgreen5150

cgreen5150
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, Premium, PP, Recaros
That's why they explicitly say <4s with the 10 speed auto and launch control.

Ofc in regular situations <4s will prolly not be doable but if everything is optimal it'll do it.

It was ~4.8s before which means Ford didnt pay attention to 0-60 times. This time they did and the only number that would be worth mentioning is a <4s. 4.1 or 4.2 would have been meaningless. So <4s prolly a bit of marketing as in the real world it'll require a few variables to be absolutely 100% right. But we'll just have to wait and see.
"prolly" because "probably" takes too long to type....:doh:

Sponsored

Storm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197 Mustang
Is the drag mode only part of the performance pack, or part of the selectable drive modes from the Premium models? May be possible to get sub 4.0 with a wheel/tire upgrade on the non PP models if they still have Drag Mode.

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
Is the drag mode only part of the performance pack, or part of the selectable drive modes from the Premium models? May be possible to get sub 4.0 with a wheel/tire upgrade on the non PP models if they still have Drag Mode.
If this is the case, then what would prevent adding drag mode to 15 to 17? Seems like the shifting logic could be added. Wonder how much the magneride adds to the sub 4.0 time.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Who cares about zero to 60 i wanna know if it hits the 11's with a dr!!!!

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Who cares about zero to 60 i wanna know if it hits the 11's with a dr!!!!
I'm betting it'll do high 11s just like the Camaro in perfect conditions.
Sponsored