Sponsored

2018 Mustang Build & Price on July 25 [UPDATE: Now Live!]

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
So a 2018 is gonna cost me a couple thousand more. 'Improved' tranny, twin-disc, DCT, MPS 4S tires and a few other goodies ....

Worth 2,000 ? I think so.
This has put me at 90% waiting on the 2018. Thanks. Sometimes the information needs to be presented in just the right way. I wish they had the PP2 information out because I think I'd be looking at a base but would want Recaro seats.

I would also add that since the 2018 is supposed to be at 2017 PP level and the 2018 PP more track ready then that must be similar to the track handling pack they sell now. Plus you get power level of adding the Power Pack level 2.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I would also add that since the 2018 is supposed to be at 2017 PP level and the 2018 PP more track ready then that must be similar to the track handling pack they sell now.
I keep hearing people repeat this... it's wrong.

Here's a list of all the stuff you're getting on the 2018 PP, straight from Ford's website:

• 19" X 9" (F) 19" X 9.5" (R) Ebony Black-painted Aluminum
  • 255/40R19 (F) 275/40R19 (R) Summer Only Tires
  • Brembo ™ Six-Piston Front Brake Calipers with Larger Rotors
  • "Engine Spun" Aluminum Instrument Panel
  • Gauge Pack (Oil Pressure and Vacuum)
  • Heavy-duty Front Springs
  • K-Brace
  • Larger Radiator
  • Performance Rear Wing (Fastback Only)
  • Silver Painted Strut-Tower Brace
  • Spoiler Delete (Convertible Only)
  • TORSEN® Differential with 3.73 Axle Ratio (Manual)
  • TORSEN® Differential with 3.55 Axle Ratio (Automatic)
  • Unique Chassis Tuning
  • Unique EPAS, ABS and Stability Control Tuning
  • Upsized Rear Sway Bar

Here's the same list of the 2017 PP, straight from Ford's website:

• 19" X 9" (F) 19” X 9.5” (R) Ebony Black-Painted Aluminum Wheels
  • 255/40R19 (F) 275/40R (R) Summer Only Tires
  • Brembo™ Six-Piston Front Brake Calipers with Larger Rotors
  • "Engine Turn" Aluminum Instrument Panel
  • Heavy-Duty Front Springs
  • K-Brace
  • Larger Radiator
  • Spoiler Delete
  • Strut-tower Brace
  • Unique Chassis Tuning
  • Upsized Rear Sway Bar
  • Unique Stability Control, EPAS & ABS Tuning
  • TORSEN® Differential with 3.73 Axle Ratio

What's different? 3.55 Torsen for the auto.

What's not mentioned? Exact spring rates, sway bar sizing, damper specs. We already know the PS4S have supplanted the Pirellis.

But that list is pretty much identical.

So what are you NOT getting if you don't get the PP on a 2018?

• Six piston front brembos (same old four piston brakes.)
  • Staggered PP wheels.
  • Larger radiator.
  • Center gauges (big whoop, I know...)
  • K-Brace
  • Torsen

What has been speculated that you're getting on a 2018 without a PP? Slightly stiffer springs? Yeah, that doesn't make the 2018 GT cars equivalent to the 2017 GTPP.

Sorry not sorry.

:doh:

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT

Here's a list of all the stuff you're getting on the 2018 PP, straight from Ford's website:

• 19" X 9" (F) 19" X 9.5" (R) Ebony Black-painted Aluminum
  • 255/40R19 (F) 275/40R19 (R) Summer Only Tires
  • Brembo ™ Six-Piston Front Brake Calipers with Larger Rotors
  • "Engine Spun" Aluminum Instrument Panel
  • Heavy-duty Front Springs
  • K-Brace
  • Larger Radiator
  • Performance Rear Wing (Fastback Only)
  • Silver Painted Strut-Tower Brace
  • Spoiler Delete (Convertible Only)
  • TORSEN® Differential with 3.73 Axle Ratio (Manual)
  • TORSEN® Differential with 3.55 Axle Ratio (Automatic)
  • Unique Chassis Tuning
  • Unique EPAS, ABS and Stability Control Tuning
  • Upsized Rear Sway Bar

Here's the same list of the 2017 PP, straight from Ford's website:

• 19" X 9" (F) 19” X 9.5” (R) Ebony Black-Painted Aluminum Wheels
  • 255/40R19 (F) 275/40R (R) Summer Only Tires
  • Brembo™ Six-Piston Front Brake Calipers with Larger Rotors
  • "Engine Turn" Aluminum Instrument Panel
  • Heavy-Duty Front Springs
  • K-Brace
  • Larger Radiator
  • Spoiler Delete
  • Strut-tower Brace
  • Unique Chassis Tuning
  • Upsized Rear Sway Bar
  • Unique Stability Control, EPAS & ABS Tuning
  • TORSEN® Differential with 3.73 Axle Ratio

What's different? 3.55 Torsen for the auto.

What's not mentioned? Exact spring rates, sway bar sizing, damper specs. We already know the PS4S have supplanted the Pirellis.

But that list is pretty much identical.

So what are you NOT getting if you don't get the PP on a 2018?

• Six piston front brembos (same old four piston brakes.)
  • Staggered PP wheels.
  • Larger radiator.
  • Center gauges (big whoop, I know...)
  • K-Brace
  • Torsen

What has been speculated that you're getting on a 2018 without a PP? Slightly stiffer springs? Yeah, that doesn't make the 2018 GT cars equivalent to the 2017 GTPP.

Sorry not sorry.

:doh:
Well, just to poke a possible hole in your comparison. It says the 2018 GT comes with a "Silver painted" strut tower brace\, the 2017 just said "strut tower brace". Why would they specify the color on the new one? The regular GT probably has the same brace, and it's probably just not painted silver, thus the justification for calling out the difference in the PP equipment package. "...but..this one's silver!"

I think it will be more than springs in the non-PP car.

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
I would also add that since the 2018 is supposed to be at 2017 PP level and the 2018 PP more track ready then that must be similar to the track handling pack they sell now. Plus you get power level of adding the Power Pack level 2.
Funny thing is I've been trying to find the information to confirm that and was skeptical as well. I realize most of the two PP are the same but without knowing which springs, shocks, struts...I guess it's still a big ?. Either way I'd be waiting until I see information on PP2.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Well, just to poke a possible hole in your comparison. It says the 2018 GT comes with a "Silver painted" strut tower brace\, the 2017 just said "strut tower brace". Why would they specify the color on the new one? The regular GT probably has the same brace, and it's probably just not painted silver, thus the justification for calling out the difference in the PP equipment package. "...but..this one's silver!"

I think it will be more than springs in the non-PP car.
Who knows? The strut tower brace is probably the easiest PP part to swap onto other cars. Not a big deal.

But this speculation is dumb and will lead to dumb purchasing decisions.

Here is what Ford has said about suspension changes:

On all models, new shock absorbers make for better ride control, a new cross-axis joint in the rear suspension leads to increased lateral stiffness, and innovative stabilizer bars bring sharper response and handling.
....wow? Really sounds like you get everything the 2017 PP got! Note that they don't mention stiffer springs.

Additionally, we have this:

attachment.jpg

So while it's not mentioned on the build & price sites that the 2018 (or 2017, for that matter) PP has a unique splitter and belly pan, that confirms that it does carry over for 2018 as well.

Stating that the 2018 GT is equivalent to the 2017 GTPP is blatant hyperbole. The PP, while it's gotten expensive, is still pretty much the same upgrades but with fantastic tires instead of crap ones.

Sponsored

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
If a 1LE can put a Stingray on notice, trust me, a 460hp GTPP will too.

The top of the line GTPP w/ MR is probably capable of out tracking a 1LE. Unless you think Ford just let that go.
Uggh. Dude. You're just comparing spec for spec again. They both have magnetic ride control. WoowwwwWWWww.

Okay, let's break this down barney-style. I'll use Car and Driver's 2016 Lightning Lap as a data point.

2015 Corvette Z06: 2:44.6
2017 Corvette GS: 2:47.1
2016 GT350R: 2:51.8
2014 Corvette Stingray: 2:53.8
2017 Camaro SS 1LE: 2:54.8
2015 Mustang GT: 3:05.2

I'm sorry dude, but if you think that there's 11.4 seconds at VIR to be gained out of 25hp and some dampers, you're sorely mistaken. The GT350R of all things is only two seconds faster than the plain-jane C7, and the GS (with less power but more comparable rubber and suspension/brakes) beats it by 4.7 seconds.

The cars just aren't on a level enough playing field that you can bench race them in Excel. Drive a C7, any C7, but especially a GS or Z06 and find out.

Really, it's okay that the C7 is a better car. Variety is the spice of life, ya know?

Source: http://www.camaro6.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=819677&d=1473346510

JoeySD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Vehicle(s)
16' BMW M2, 6MT, Long Beach Blue Metalic
really wish I could see all the different dash appliqués they announced, as many seem to be a total mystery !!!

And oh yeah 12 wheel options?? huh what...I'm still looking for all 12 !!!! :shrug:

disneyfun1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Art
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Prem Calif Special, 2021 Mustang Mach-E
really wish I could see all the different dash appliqués they announced, as many seem to be a total mystery !!!

And oh yeah 12 wheel options?? huh what...I'm still looking for all 12 !!!! :shrug:
2018 Mustang Wheels.png

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I absolutely love the two in the middle center. especially on the right, that black wheel with a good amount of concave looks sooooo good.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost

Sponsored

steelertown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
First thing I noticed, you can now get nav without getting leather, that is awesome and I am glad to see that...

Went to build my own:

base gt
Orange fury ($495)
10 speed ($1595)
spoiler delete (free)
355 gears ($495)
Nav (795 + forced $2,000 package: $2795)

Total: $41,375

Tried my hardest to keep it as cheap as possible but still went over $40k. I guess I could take off that $2795 Nav to drop it to $38,500 but that tiny screen just looks like it came from the early 2000's and doesn't belong in a close to $40k car...

Going to assume the most you are going to get off this car is roughly $2500ish, and tax brings you right back to the MSRP. So a $41k car.

Much rather take that $41k, add a couple thousand more and get a used Lexus RCF, Cadillac ATS-V, C7 Corvette or alternately search for a left over new 2017 Mustang GT that is fairly loaded and probably come out around $33k and have $7k-8k left over. The 2018 pricing makes it feel like the last thing I would do which is disappointing.

Fox9350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 5.0 GT (former car)
Any Know what happened to these wheels? I liked them a lot. Don't see them anywhere in the configurator.

2018-mustang-20-inch-polished-wheel.jpg

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
First thing I noticed, you can now get nav without getting leather, that is awesome and I am glad to see that...

Went to build my own:

base gt
Orange fury ($495)
10 speed ($1595)
spoiler delete (free)
355 gears ($495)
Nav (795 + forced $2,000 package: $2795)

Total: $41,375

Tried my hardest to keep it as cheap as possible but still went over $40k. I guess I could take off that $2795 Nav to drop it to $38,500 but that tiny screen just looks like it came from the early 2000's and doesn't belong in a close to $40k car...

Going to assume the most you are going to get off this car is roughly $2500ish, and tax brings you right back to the MSRP. So a $41k car.

Much rather take that $41k, add a couple thousand more and get a used Lexus RCF, Cadillac ATS-V, C7 Corvette or alternately search for a left over new 2017 Mustang GT that is fairly loaded and probably come out around $33k and have $7k-8k left over. The 2018 pricing makes it feel like the last thing I would do which is disappointing.
Why would you get Nav? You'll have Carplay/Android Auto with the $2000 301A package, and Google maps is way better than anything the OEMs are putting in, and stays updated constantly for free. Factory Nav is a waste unless you're getting it thrown in for free essentially.

Kennocha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Grabber Blue GTPP
Any Know what happened to these wheels? I liked them a lot. Don't see them anywhere in the configurator.

2018-mustang-20-inch-polished-wheel.jpg
I asked earlier and was told they are late availability and not a choice yet.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
it has the michelins so they are likely part of the PP2.

also i am not certain why people rag on having to get 301a, it has so many things that make the base worth it, i bet many people purchased the premium cause of the bigger screen and better stereo. this is great for many people. granted it does suck you dont have a choice if you want the PP1 but it is a good package to have

9 Speaker Stereo System with Single-CD Player
• Ambient Lighting with MyColor® and 4.2" Cluster
• Dual-Zone Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (DEATC)
• Selectable Drive Modes with Toggle Switches
• 8" LCD Capacitive Touchscreen in Center Stack
• Smart-Charging USB ports – two (2)

to me these features are totally worth the 2k, beats spending 4k to get a premium when all i want are these features, leather in az makes no sense.
Sponsored