Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

Zeke.Malvo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mach1
Also, when it comes to '17 vs '18, people need to take into account that a decent chunk of the savings will be lost when it comes time to sell it due to it being a model year older that will also be in the long run a version that is less desireable.
Sponsored

7YearAscent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
To add to this. Mathematics simply tells us that as numbers go up. Even if mods react at the same effencuecy as prior years they will only push the MY18 farther beyond a MY17 mod for mod.
Yep. A few people are low-key trash talking the 2018s and circumventing the rules by adding comments like, "but to each their own", etc.

To be clear though, I like the looks of the 2015-2017s. I am just counting on performance gains + options + some visible personal preferences (quad exhaust, etc)

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
680hp will not be enough.
Wishing for the 3.5TT instead of the 2.3T. Will settle for the 2.7TT.
5.0 only making 450hp will improve nothing and generate negative hype.
The 5.0 needs to be in the 480hp range with a weight reduction.
Glad this is just a guess......there is still hope.

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
Yep. A few people are low-key trash talking the 2018s and circumventing the rules by adding comments like, "but to each their own", etc.
It's funny to come in as an outsider and see the different factions line up. I think it's just part of being passionate about something.

From my perspective the '18 is a worthwhile improvement but I think it's a mixed bag visually. From a distance I think it's better looking and more dynamic than the '17. Closer up some of the details are too busy. I don't think the headlights and taillights need all the surface excitement that they added.

Overall I love both versions of 6th gen styling but it's a pity that they couldn't fix the most egregious thing about it with this refresh - that style line behind the rear wheel arch. I really try hard not to see it, but there it is, screaming "Taurus!" A proper Mustang should have a sculpted rear quarter, not style lines from a sedan.

But to each their own. ;)

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
Air curtains?

Please explain, For what?

Decrease drag of the spinning wheel vs. the air blowing passed?
Keep mud, water, etc... in the wheel wheel & not spraying up on the body?
Brake Cooling?
Google mustang technical sessions. There is a great video with the former aero engineer who is now the chief engineer covering this feature. The new opening looks larger than the 2015-2017.

Sponsored

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang

To be clear though, I like the looks of the 2015-2017s. I am just counting on performance gains + options + some visible personal preferences (quad exhaust, etc)
I like the new front end.
The rear should have been freshened up.
10 speed auto is a plus.
The hp quotes from MotorTrend has me a bit worried that there will be very little improvement in terms of performance.
The 2.7 would be a much better choice for the Stang vs what we have now.
There should be a trim level for the 3.5TT.
Hope this post does not violate the rules. Just trying to be honest.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD

jimmbbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT Sterling Gray
... Even if the 2018 Mustang only gets 15 HP or if it does get 30 HP I bet it only gains a couple of tenths in 0-60 and 1/4 Mile. Either way I'm getting one.
From 435 hp, 15 hp is 3% more HP, 30 hp is 6%... IMO the main benefit is mostly for bragging rights.

The weight will likely increase, and any hp increase will likely be undiscernible due to in inconsistent techniques for all but the hardcore track/strip owners...

Moving up to 450 from my 412 hp 2011 would be a bit over 9%, which I might notice... 475 hp would be 15% increase which WOULD get my attention! :D

:popcorn:

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette

People on here have been complaining about the 15-17 cars for years :lol:

You just did the same thing here :lol:

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
680hp will not be enough.
Wishing for the 3.5TT instead of the 2.3T. Will settle for the 2.7TT.
5.0 only making 450hp will improve nothing and generate negative hype.
The 5.0 needs to be in the 480hp range with a weight reduction.
Glad this is just a guess......there is still hope.
Even if the car comes out 450 hp in the worse case scenario ( I highly doubt it after Ford showed the 455 on the gauge), it will still have more torque than the current engine. Even 20 lbft and more low end torque will be noticeable. However, if magnetic ride and more tech adds more weight, then I assume Ford didn't learn their lesson. 2019 Camaro will be getting a 10 speed auto and power bump too with the corvette. The performance difference might stay the same or get worse. Also if Ford bumps the prices up for the mustang which will make it really close to a camaro, they really need something solid to compete.

Sponsored

7YearAscent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
People on here have been complaining about the 15-17 cars for years :lol:

You just did the same thing here :lol:
Nah, no complaints here and definitely not bashing. I still might get one over an 18. It all depends on price and specs (how the 2018 options are packaged)

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
If we look at the additions to the 5 litre it would be safe to say the gain in power is at least 455, but then considering the rpms have been bumped up I'm guessing Ford was sandbagging with the instrument cluster.

4 ROUSH

NONE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
Current 5.0 at 435 HP. 2018 MY 450 HP - 460 on the GT. We will see soon enough. I personally believe that many Ecoboost PP Automatic Mustangs will be sold in the 2018 MY .:headbang:

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
DI means they can now run the timing into what would otherwise be detonation territory.
With DI, you cant detonate if the fuel isnt in the cylinder yet.
DI allows injection in pulses. Massive advantage.
Expect 478 on the GT and 963 on the blower car(name not yet released).

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
Ok we're for the most part Ford fan boys around here but I think both your numbers are high and the second one is high by at least 150+ HP lol
+1 ... love the enthusiasm however :D
Sponsored