Sponsored

Oil separator

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Catch cans still create a closed system, so I don't think there are EPA concerns with them. Even in CA you can use catch cans without worry.

Breathers on the other hand are no bueno, since they allow the vapors to escape.

I think OEMs leave them out because they don't want owners to need to deal with draining them.

Ford recommends them on the GT350 for track use, I think to help stop any large hiccups of oil from fouling the airflow sensors.

I have the UPR setup in mine, and it catches quite a bit every 1000 miles or so. I never had one on my 350Z or GTI. It's nice peace of mind in the GT350 and the UPR kit seems to be high quality.

You'll never get a definitive answer on what is necessary because much has to do with your tolerance of risk and how much you want to optimize different aspects of the ownership experience.

-T

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Catch cans still create a closed system, so I don't think there are EPA concerns with them. Even in CA you can use catch cans without worry.

Breathers on the other hand are no bueno, since they allow the vapors to escape.

I think OEMs leave them out because they don't want owners to need to deal with draining them.

Ford recommends them on the GT350 for track use, I think to help stop any large hiccups of oil from fouling the airflow sensors.

I have the UPR setup in mine, and it catches quite a bit every 1000 miles or so. I never had one on my 350Z or GTI. It's nice peace of mind in the GT350 and the UPR kit seems to be high quality.

You'll never get a definitive answer on what is necessary because much has to do with your tolerance of risk and how much you want to optimize different aspects of the ownership experience.

-T
from my understanding it's something to due with emissions. That was based on an interaction with Jamal Hameedi when I was at Ford. :shrug:

I'd wager the emptying of them would be another reason.

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
I am probably going to get the JLT 3.0 one. I see a few reviewers on AM complain about it making a knocking sound at times due to how it just hangs there, but they are definitely the minority. Anyone here running the JLT and have comments?

Sponsored

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
I have the JLT and it seems to work fine. I hear no banging, and to be honest, once it is in, it barely moves...!

I am probably going to get the JLT 3.0 one. I see a few reviewers on AM complain about it making a knocking sound at times due to how it just hangs there, but they are definitely the minority. Anyone here running the JLT and have comments?

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP

-T

I think they leave them out as it's another added cost to the vehicle. They only care that the engine makes the warranty period. Any after effects caused by not using an oil separator past warranty, their service shop makes money on throttle body cleanings and so on.

I'd probably put one on my engine if they weren't so expensive. I can buy a lot of throttle body cleaner spray before ever coming close to the price of an oil separator.

As for the octane reduction as someone mentioned. I've never heard of that before so I'd have to see a lot of documentation before I'd believe claims, but that's just my opinion.

Drakoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have a Bob's catch can, great quality and it catches a couple ounces of oil every few thousand miles. I don't want oil in my intake system. I'm putting on a gt350 manafold tomorrow so I'll be interested to see how clean things are after 22k miles. I put it on at 500 miles.

Sponsored

My_Coyote

Howl'n in the Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If it was absolutely needed, it would have been standard equipment from Ford.

But they're not that expensive for peace of mind. I've got the Ford Performance one.
I have agree, I do not have any knocks or performance issues.

JaxS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 GT PP
I am running the JLT 3.0

I have the JLT 3.0 catch can and I can't hear it moving at all, but I also have a corsa extreme cat back.

The can works great, I have only done one oil change since I put it on but it caught roughly 1.5 - 2 ounces of oil.

Since I am running a 93oct tune, saving all that oil from entering my intake and lowering the octane rating and gumming everything up is worth the ~100 bucks for this.

I am not claiming you will get any performance gains, but its an easy way to help keep your engine clean for the long haul.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
This is my first mod for my new 2017, I ordered the Ford one just because I like the OEM look.

My ecoboost saw about 4-5oz per oil chance in the UPR unit I had on that, and I had to empty it twice per oil change in the winter.

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
...any new owners and such installing an oil separator?

Volstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'm glad I have one. It is amazing how much I get out of it every thousand miles or so.
Sponsored