Sponsored

Oil Change

jay47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby gt 350R
Do i need to worry about my local dealer telling me to just bring my R in when ready for an oil change. They said they have the oil in barrels and plenty of oil filters in stock. They also said it's $97 for the oil change. Does this seem correct? I have heard they need to order a kit in order to do the oil change.
Sponsored

dwalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 white with blue stripes "H1807"
I know this is your first post, but the search button is a very useful tool on here. Plenty of oil change info has been posted on here in the last couple of years...

shelbyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sandy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350 Track Package White w/blue stripes
I know this is your first post, but the search button is a very useful tool on here. Plenty of oil change info has been posted on here in the last couple of years...
:lol: Now thats really funny...would take him literally a week to read it all.

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Do i need to worry about my local dealer telling me to just bring my R in when ready for an oil change. They said they have the oil in barrels and plenty of oil filters in stock. They also said it's $97 for the oil change. Does this seem correct? I have heard they need to order a kit in order to do the oil change.
No kit needed - assuming you have new style filter - look up the exact filter # from your owner's manual, not online knowledge or parts store part finder.

The oil will run you between $8-$13/quart depending on your luck/negotiating skills and you need 10 quarts. The filter (assuming new style) is like $8. So if the dealer is quoting you $97 that's a reasonable price.

However...

I personally wouldn't let a dealership touch my car for an oil change.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
There's even :search: and :rules: emoticons :lol:

Tons of info OP.....

Welcome to the forum [MENTION=31305]jay47[/MENTION]. Hope you're enjoying the 'R'.

Sponsored

OP
OP

jay47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby gt 350R
Thanks guys for your honest opinion. Yes, there are so many to look thru and some posts are old information as well as others having experiences since they last posted if they ever posted. I would rather do it myself however, i simply don't have the time to do it. I will ask to be there with my car when they perform the work.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I would be a bit wary of a dealer claiming to have 5W-50 in "barrels." If I'm not mistaken, it's a fairly uncommon weight.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I would be a bit wary of a dealer claiming to have 5W-50 in "barrels." If I'm not mistaken, it's a fairly uncommon weight.
This. I would get them to show me the barrels, I don't trust them.

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
Barrels huh. That means your ass is getting 5w-20. :(

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
This. I would get them to show me the barrels, I don't trust them.
Barrels huh. That means your ass is getting 5w-20. :(
Agreed. The fear that the dealership will put the wrong weight of oil in the car or neglect to torque the filter keeps me from letting the dealership perform an oil change on mine.

I didn't worry with any of the GT500's, or the '15 GT, but it's different with this one. My fear may be completely unwarranted, but I don't care. I just don't trust them with this car.

Sponsored

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I took mine to a dealership that let me stand next to them and watch the oil change. I doubt dealers have barrels of 5w-50 though. They ended up discounting the whole oil change to $115, which is what it would have cost for just the oil and filter anyway.

rancherogt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350 Track Pack, 07 Volvo V70, 82 f350
I am sure the dealer has no 5w50 in barrels it comes in quart bottles you should have the new style filter assembly filter should be around $10 the oil will start around $8-12 per quart depending on there pricing.

DO NOT I repeat DO NOT let the oil bay teenager do the change get there best tech on it. I am lucky my small town dealer understands that all Shelby's are very special and has his best techs work on mine. There has never been a oil spot on my garage floor after a oil change and my oil cooler line recall. Knocking on wood 18600+ miles and counting.
Sponsored