Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
I wouldn't. It would be a downgrade performance wise, but if you really love the Mustang, I'd wait for the 18'. Actually, I'd just get a C7 if you stretch your budget.
Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
I have had a '15 GTPP since October 2014. Only 17K miles so far, but zero issues other than an occasionally crunchy shift into 6th gear when the transmission hasn't warmed up yet (including on warm days).

The only "widespread" issue I'm aware of is a vibrating drivetrain? I'm not totally clear on what the symptoms of that are or how common it is.

Also, be prepared to sacrifice a bit in the way of infotainment/luxury technology going from a 17 Camaro to a 15 Mustang. That may not be a big deal to you, though. Especially since you'll probably get some cash back from such a trade.

I wouldn't. It would be a downgrade performance wise, but if you really love the Mustang, I'd wait for the 18'. Actually, I'd just get a C7 if you stretch your budget.
I'm guessing the '18 will have many of the problems he's having with the Camaro in terms of mod-ability given that it's going to be DI. But not sure.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
15-17 GT is better looking than Camaro.. IMO
GT interior is nicer IMO
GT is much more comfortable to drive, easier to see out of
GT has much more trunk space and a ton of versatility when rear seats are folded down
I can slide my entire full suspension 29er mountain bike in the trunk with only removing front tire if that means anything to you.
Simple Tune and Catback wake this thing up big time!

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
To all the people talking about him taking a loss here, I don't think he stands to lose much money considering he plans to buy a used (and even older and cheaper) car. If anything, especially if he does a private sale and private purchase, he stands to make some cash back.

That said, it is a somewhat strange trade to me. I would still buy the Mustang over the Camaro if I had to do it all over again, but I'm not sure I would go through the trouble of trading a Camaro for a Mustang if I already had the Camaro... Then again, I'm not big on the modding scene, so I probably can't totally relate to the OP to begin with.

Sponsored

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I love how the 5.0 runs, throttle response, well mannered, and V8 all the time. Drove a '15 SS L99 auto and the throttle response sucked. If the '16 and '17s are they same, they can keep them. I could care less if it went 0-60 in 2 seconds. I don't drive to race, I drive for the enjoyment and the GT does it for me.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Drove a '15 SS L99 auto and the throttle response sucked.
Not comparison to the new LT1. You want to talk about response and mannerisms? How about 375lb ft at 2500 RPM.

The Coyote struggles down low, the LT1 falls off at the top.

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
The ONLY way I could see trading for 15-17 GT is if you are planning on supercharging. You will be voiding your warranty either way if heavily modding.
The SS is great stock and seems to be doing well on e85 tunes.
If staying N/A either keep the SS or get a 2018 GT.

OP have you driven the S550 GT?
The a very clear difference in overall performance between my prior GT and 17' 2SS 6M; not just straight line but handling and overall chassis feel.

Drove a '15 SS L99 auto and the throttle response sucked.
SS L99?? lol, throttle response is the least of it's problem..

Last edited:

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
It's not just about the Camaro being a tad bit faster, the 15-17 GT is way better looking, and gratifying to look at! The 18 gt front end is not as tough muscle car as 15-17

chedder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2017 Raptor SC, 2016 custom crew cab
I have a 15' GT PP with cold air and a tune. Very fast reliable and great in a turn. 15k miles of smiles. Wife loves to borrow it to take her girlfriend s once in a while. Never go back to Chevrolet.
DSC_0330.jpg

Sponsored

GreenGuardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I have a 15' GT Premium and wouldn't change a thing! Still going strong after just hitting 48,000 miles on the OD. No regrets here at all. Haven't had any issues thus far, knock on wood.

I love the mustang and have since I first laid eyes on my dads 67'. Maybe I am just biased and think the Mustang is the quintessential American muscle car.

If it were me making this decision I would list out the pro's and con's and go from there.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
CAI, tune & sticky tires on a 15-17 GT and you'll be saying ZL-WHO?

Seatown Stang

HereWeGo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Id take the Stang all day every day and twice on sunday. I cant help it tho, its in my blood. Ive had other cars but the stang keeps pulling me back.

-I personally think the camaros interior looks awful and cheap

-you already know the visibility is atrocious. The car seems to be one big blindspot

-Yes it has more power but it also costs more than a mustang.

If you can get out of the SS and not be bent over the table then I say go for it!

**Also,I see a lot of people talking about voiding your warranty. The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act states that the dealership has to be able to prove that an aftermarket part was the direct cause of the failure. A supercharger does void a warranty if a suspension part fails or your Sync system goes haywire. However if you blow the engine or throw codes then you are SOL.

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
Umm.....................no. He'll be saying "oh this is a tuned S550 GT, gotcha."

The ZL1 is INSANELY fast.
Maybe he meant 1LE?

The ZL1 is a rocket.
Sponsored