Sponsored

May trade my 17 SS Camaro for a 15 GT need advice

blakbearddelite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium in DIB
I'd just keep the Camaro. But that's just me. Once I buy a car, I commit to it. I could never take the loss on trading in a practically brand new car. The replacement car would have to be substantially cheaper, and the cost includes whatever it would cost to make the replacement car as fast as the original car.
Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
If you are going to trade it in to a mustang get a 2018. If you can wait get the next gen mustang in a couple years

Reactions: A7X

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Real question is how much a financial ass raping are you willing to withstand hoppin in and outta cars so quickly.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Real question is how much a financial ass raping are you willing to withstand hoppin in and outta cars so quickly.
True;

If it matters, you're looking at losing serious money.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

+1

Sponsored

RayJHT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
What's up guys, I'm new here. I currently own a 03 terminator mustang, and a 2017 camaro SS. I went with the camaro, bc at first the new body style of the mustang rubbed me wrong but it has really grown on me lately. I'm thinking about trading my 17 SS In for this 2015 GT in competition orange, with black stripes, my mustang love is burning again. I'm here though to ask what are common issues with the 2015s? Also what can you all tell me to convince me to trade for it? I'm not super educated with the newer models, but the fact the 5.0 is much cheaper and easier to mod and have big gains from than the 6.2 is a huge factor. Basically just try and convince me to trade! I'm leaning towards doing it already just need reassurance
Dude do not do it. The looks of the Stang have grown on me also. However, I can really read a cars suspension and feel overall and the Camaro seems so much better underneath. Now if that does not matter that much to you then go with the Mustang it is still a great car and you should be able to get one heck of a deal at this point. In this case go 16 to avoid the 1st year issues of a 15.

Now I negotiate very well so I have been able to jump cars in a very short time frame. I have friends and co-workers ask my advice and how do I do it all the time. If you did not go in at a good place you will take a hit but do not know how Camaros resale because that plays a part. Still the deal you can get on a Mustang right now could level you out it all depends.

phillybob232

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Platinum 2017 GT/CS
The Camaro SS is a much better sports car at the moment. The only reason I went with my Mustang is because after incentives, it was about $10k less then a Camaro 2SS optioned the way I wanted and I could NOT rationalize that difference.

You already have the better car, don't take a huge depreciation hit and trade down, only to then have to spend more money curing your itch for speed. Appreciate your car dude!

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
Do it!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I can understand why you would want to trade the Camaro. It's a nice car, but boring IMO. Most of it comes down to the poor drivetrain that Chevy chooses to put in the Camaro.

Financially you are better off not moving, but if you have the money why not do it? You can't take it with you. The whole purpose of money is not to make a big pile, but to use it to make your life enjoyable.

Digiam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 camaro ss A8
I wouldn't worry about a coil issue. That is one of the least worries on the LT1. you may have gotten a bad one but for the most part they are solid. With headers, e85, cai, and tune. I will run bottom 11's at close to 124mph with a drag pack. I thought about doing what you are talking about too because forced induction on the new Camaro is a pure nightmare. Tuning them is a bitch, the piston rings are a ticking time bomb at 650 whp and above, the fuel system is done at 600 whp and requires EXPENSIVE upgrades. Its just a lot of hurdles to get up in power where as the s550 just needs billet OPG and crank sprocket and it will live at way higher horsepower. Ive seen 7-8-900 whp s550's and they do it all day as long as the tune is right. Whipple on an s550 would fly. Whipple on an LT1 Camaro will get you 600 whp on 6-7 psi. So you would have spent 8-9k to get supercharged and then would need 5-6k more for fuel system and new drop in pistons just to make higher power. If you want FI, get an s550. If staying N/A, stay with the LT1

Reactions: A7X

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I wouldn't do it either. Let's be brutally honest for a moment, by the time you got done with spending $3000 on mods car to car, your LT1 would eat a 'Yote alive.

With that example in mind, $3000 for a Yote gets your long tube headers, matching mid pipe, and an intake and tune. $3000 for an LT1 gets your long tube headers, matching mid pipe, and a cam, spring, and lifter kit. After a retune, you're looking at high close to 500 RWHP all day with that Camaro. The Mustang will be happy to get 420's or so. Of course we're not talking mod for mod but dollar for dollar.

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
This is interesting, first time I have read about something like this.. usually it's 5.0 guys trading in for an SS. If you care about warranty and want the car with more power then it makes sense to keep the SS.

If you don't care about that, then get the 5.0. The lines of the 15-17's are absolutely BEAUTIFUL! 18's are growing on me tho.

Digiam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 camaro ss A8
I wouldn't do it either. Let's be brutally honest for a moment, by the time you got done with spending $3000 on mods car to car, your LT1 would eat a 'Yote alive.

With that example in mind, $3000 for a Yote gets your long tube headers, matching mid pipe, and an intake and tune. $3000 for an LT1 gets your long tube headers, matching mid pipe, and a cam, spring, and lifter kit. After a retune, you're looking at high close to 500 RWHP all day with that Camaro. The Mustang will be happy to get 420's or so. Of course we're not talking mod for mod but dollar for dollar.
I agree if you are staying na that keeping it is the choice. Headers are 1200-1500, rotofab intake $450, cam kit/springs/dod delete kit/and head gaskets is $2000 and almost that again in labor/tune, e85 $150.

There have been a couple get close to 500 whp with the exact set up I have. Rotofab cai, kooks 2" headers, ported intake manifold and throttle body, E85 and a tune. Most are in the 485 whp with that and a few who run on the ragged edge are at 495-500. Add a cam and most are 500 on 93 pump gas and 530-540 on E85

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
The Camaro SS is a much better sports car at the moment. The only reason I went with my Mustang is because after incentives, it was about $10k less then a Camaro 2SS optioned the way I wanted and I could NOT rationalize that difference.
Same here, out of the box both cars are capable and both are solid platforms for further modifications, but with 'equal' options the Mustang was a solid 10K less.

I hate buying on price, but the GT simply is a better value - more for your money. How much better than a SS? I cannot say exactly, but in my mind not worth the 10K premium.

Digiam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 camaro ss A8
If you do the math on the above, you see why a cam on these new LT1 Camaros isn't nearly as popular as it was on the gen 5. Most see that they will be $6500 into it when the get the boltons and cam so most do a mild blower set up instead. Tons of these cars with prochargers running around. The gen 5 $900 cam swaps are gone
Sponsored