Sponsored

Mechanics desperately search for my cutout switch

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I had the Mustang in recently since the rear end was clicking. Last time the subframe was dropped, they didn't torque the rear axles to spec which caused the clicking. That was no problem since they fixed it free of charge.

What I did find afterward on the dashcam was funny. They caught sight of the pre-muffler cutouts while under the car and were determined to find the switch lol.

[ame]
Sponsored

Last edited:

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
That would really have pissed me off. The service manager would have a copy of that video along with a detailed description of my unhappiness as soon as I could speak without cursing.

15DIBGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush stage 3
mine are on a remote. And I would make sure they know not to drive my car off the lot if for some reason I had to take in for service. (Im a master technician) and wouldn't leave my car at the dealership unsupervised for any reason. If I had a corolla or civic, sure, but not a performance car.

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
I honestly don't get people working in service oriented industries who act like that. First thought was damn...another millennial. But I shouldn't be doing that. Then I was like ok, where is the self discipline and respect of other peoples property. Ok, then it was you are an employee representing the dealer or shop.

Where is the trust at the end of the day. Sort of makes me want to add something similar.

OP
OP
RevvdMedia

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I was disappointed that they were so overly concerned about wanting to "try out the exhaust" when the repair had nothing to do with exhaust (it was loose axle shafts since they didn't torque them to spec when they dropped the subframe a year ago). I believe based on the time gaps the repair took no time at all, so they didn't need to mess with the exhaust whatsoever.

I did choose to find the humor in their determination and childlish curiosity (I won't give them enough credit to say child-like, but rather childish).

What did really annoy me though is when they pulled the power wire out of the dashcam at the end, and muted the sound on the cam itself. This may have been their stupidity somehow thinking the cutout was tied into that wire, or it was malicious. I'll never know. There was a 6 minute time gap between the clip cutoff and the car being parked, so I hope not enough time to really "take it out for a rip."

I did fill out the review that was sent to me after. I gave the service writers great credit as they offered me a free rental as long as I need, and the repair was otherwise successful. I did tell them in the review that I didn't appreciate that based on my dashcam footage that the car was actually done on the day I called and they said it wasn't, and then also I explained what the techs did in this video. We'll see if there is any response or not.

There is another dealership just down the way from this one and they did a stellar job with the Power Pack 1 install since they left a note dangling in front of the wheel from the sun visor, and noted in the paperwork - AND had the service writer iterate the importance that I drive gently to a gas station, fill up with premium fuel and allow the fuel to mix in to ensure octane and avoid detonation. I thought that was the work of great technician, or a dealer really good at covering their ass lol. I may just start taking my vehicle there from now on.

Sponsored

TJ91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' 5.0
Well. I can't say I'm surprised but glad it seemed as though he respected enough to not want to drive it

Hey so I have been having this loud clicking noise coming from my rear left wheel. And its gotten progressively worse (In another city completely and working 15h days) but have an appointment with the dealer on Saturday

Can you sort of describe the clicking sound you had? I thought I had a failed wheel bearing issue since they just replaced the rear left wheel bearing two months ago

OP
OP
RevvdMedia

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Well. I can't say I'm surprised but glad it seemed as though he respected enough to not want to drive it

Hey so I have been having this loud clicking noise coming from my rear left wheel. And its gotten progressively worse (In another city completely and working 15h days) but have an appointment with the dealer on Saturday

Can you sort of describe the clicking sound you had? I thought I had a failed wheel bearing issue since they just replaced the rear left wheel bearing two months ago
It was a single metallic sounding clack/pop. It would happen only once, when you change rotational direction of the driveline. If you were moving in reverse, came to a stop, put it in first, as soon as you put rotational force on the driveline it would emit that noise once. It could be replicated when moving slowly forward or backwards, putting the car's gear in the opposite direction (so of in first, rolling slowly, put it in reverse and let the clutch out just enough to put a reverse rotational force, it would make the noise). From this I knew it was slack somewhere in the driveline. They mentioned more specifically the CV portion of the rear axles were loose. Oddly enough, the sound actually sounded exactly like a bad CV joint on a FWD car when turning a tight circle under throttle, but just one clack once the driveline was loaded.

TJ91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' 5.0
It was a single metallic sounding clack/pop. It would happen only once, when you change rotational direction of the driveline. If you were moving in reverse, came to a stop, put it in first, as soon as you put rotational force on the driveline it would emit that noise once. It could be replicated when moving slowly forward or backwards, putting the car's gear in the opposite direction (so of in first, rolling slowly, put it in reverse and let the clutch out just enough to put a reverse rotational force, it would make the noise). From this I knew it was slack somewhere in the driveline. They mentioned more specifically the CV portion of the rear axles were loose. Oddly enough, the sound actually sounded exactly like a bad CV joint on a FWD car when turning a tight circle under throttle, but just one clack once the driveline was loaded.
That is EXACTLY what I am experiencing. Thanks for responding back. Going to let my dealer know

Appreciate it :thumbsup:

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I ge the interest in it, damn Paki Taliban guy is interesting though. Why not just ask you when you pick it up though. The implication of not asking is that you expect them to rag out your car, "trying it out".

Sponsored
OP
OP
RevvdMedia

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Why did they have to remove the axles to drop the subframe, exactly?
I actually don't know. Just looked up a subframe drop on another site and it looks like it can be dropped as one unit. Maybe it was actually a factory defect and the mechanic or service writer was wrong.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
You can't drop the subframe without bringing the differential with. Yes you have to detach the driveshaft but the entire subframe can be removed effectively assembled. Unless I'm missing something, that's why it's designed that way.

racered_ppGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
i can relate to the opposite of this situation lol i used to work at a chrysler dodge jeep and ram dealer, and this one guy would ALWAYS come in with his str8 charger, and as soon as he pulled into the service lane he would open his cutouts and when it was in an enclosed shop it was insanely obnoxious and everytime we would try to CLOSE the cutouts but he had a remote with him haha

But they really really wanted to find yours for just the 2 mins of joy they would get out of hearing it, but hey, at least they liked your car :cool:

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
Geez, dealer service is pretty lax.

When I worked at private shop the cars were odometer checked and the keys locked up. Our senior tech was the only guy driving them and logged those miles to the work order. He also had a tendency to be hanging around when we were buttoning up the job to make sure we didn't leave tools in the car or mis-install a panel then he drove the vehicle to detail and we never saw it again. There was no time to jack around looking for cut out switches.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
They're car guys. They are curious. You put cool shit on your car, expect curiosity. Too much butt hurt in this thread from techs wondering how it works. The guy just wanted to hear it. No big deal.
Hell, when I had my alignment done after spring installs, tech came back all wide eyed and shaking from accidentally giving it a little too much gas pedal. "Man, that pony wants to run!" In broken English. Hispanic guy. I laughed my ass off.
Sponsored