Sponsored

The GT350s place in the 2018 Model Year

BlkGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 GT86 Autox, 16 GT350 TP, 06 Civic Si TTD car
Anddd have a slower, less unique car that doesn't look as good. Sooo yeah it's cheaper, because it isn't as good. Not even close to the same level. :headbonk::crazy:
True but $20k will buy you a lot of tires and track time. We get hung up in the uniqueness of the GT350 and forget there are other fine fast fun cars out there. A friend just got a SS 1LE for $40k which is a screaming performance bargain and he has kindly offered it to me to take to Solo Nationals with a friend. Looking forward to the transit drive to Lincoln and competing in CAM-C.

Peter
Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Now that we know the 2018 GT has 460HP/420TQ and at least as fast in a straight line with the auto (sub 4 second 0-60), I'm a little concerned about the GT350s place in the Ford lineup for 2018.

Personally, I think it's going to be hard to sell a $60k GT350 when most likely a 2018 GT with the Performance Pack will be nipping at its heels on track. Buying a GT350 will be more because it's a "Shelby" than actual performance value. Thoughts?
I'll be doing a Dana Carvey imitation of GHW Bush, "Not gonna be happy" if it comes with diff and tranny coolers...

FLATPLANE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pkg. 18 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 16 Lexus IS350 FSport
Vehicle Showcase
For me the FPC engine that Ford Performance wont let anyone else buy unless you own THIS car! Worth the extra cost of a GT350. The exclusivity of this engine is worth holding on to this car!
The Mustang GT cant get a BMW owner into the dealership to trade in his M3!

Last edited:

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Three things for me:

1. Flat plane crank and engine sounds
2. Handling and time around the track.
3. Looks. I think the GT350 is the best looking mustang in decades. The 2018 MY does not give me the warm and fuzzies just from looking at it.
Funny, I said those things another thread.:cheers:

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
I'll keep my 600WHP+ supercharged Coyote, thanks.

Unless some GT350R's start selling at MSRP, then I'm game for changing things up. Going to wait and see how the next couple years pans out in sale price, both new and used.

The new 2018 GT doesn't get me intrigued at all.

Last edited:

Sponsored

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
If ultimate performance is the "holy grail" metric...it is not working for the Camaro. More '17 lame duck Mustangs have been sold than '17 Refresh Camaros, through June.......Ford is doing something right.

I agree that dealers discounting Mustangs to make way for '18 units is likely a factor, if you look at historical sales figures, Camaro re-fresh years are when it typically outsold Mustang.....but has been far from the case this year, even with the significant upgrade in Camaro performance numbers.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
True but $20k will buy you a lot of tires and track time. We get hung up in the uniqueness of the GT350 and forget there are other fine fast fun cars out there. A friend just got a SS 1LE for $40k which is a screaming performance bargain and he has kindly offered it to me to take to Solo Nationals with a friend. Looking forward to the transit drive to Lincoln and competing in CAM-C.

Peter
Completely agree with you regarding other great cars out there. I'm not shitting on the new GT at all, but when someone makes the statement "I'll save 20K and get a new GT instead" it implies that he will get an equal car for a far lesser price, which isn't even close to being true.

If the GT350 had not come out, I would not be in a Ford today. The regular 5.0 does nothing for me, nor does and SS or any challenger. TI would imagine a great number of 350/R owner's bought the car because of its dynamics and unique features. If it only had an updated 5.0 engine in it, I probably wouldn't be in it either. Not taking anything away from the great car that the 5.0 GT is, just giving credit where credit is due.

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Have to agree. I wanted a GT350 in '15 but the prices were astronomical so I bought a GT PP and put a blower on it. Love the car, crazy fast but I still lust for a GT350.......problem is I'd take at least a $20K hit to move into one. Had I known it would be at least a 3 year run, I would have held-out. It is still tempting because I don't recall a domestic car that has won as universal praise as the GT350. Every review I've read from all the car mags to Jay Leno, Spike Feresten, Randy Propst, etc, etc....share the same conclusion...they would buy it with their own money. I know if I drove one I would likely buy it on the spot........

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350

Peter
from what I saw a fully equipped gt with everything discussed the price is much closer, to where I wouldn't think twice.

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
What the price increase has proven to me is that I am most definitely looking for a low mileage GT350 / C7 Vette before the end of the year. GT350 in looks and sound alone make it the better choice for me, throw in the already incredible handling and its a no brainer......for me

Sponsored

v-man

Still Plays With Cars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt 350 LB Black stripe
guys I am brand new to this forum. at 61, I decided I needed a naturally aspirated engine before they where a thing in the past. Over the last 5 weeks I have done my research and decided a gt350 with the Voooodo would be the way to go. The 2 top 10 finishes in car and driver helped. I did not know until 3 days ago about the gt refresh. You guys forgot today more than I will know about the car in the next year. So reassure me I found a 350 with strips gray and white probably 750 under sticker. The car more likely than not see a track but a high revving v8 sounds good. so is the 12 grand up charge over a loaded 2018 loaded gt a no brainer? One of the guys talked about the delta which is the cost of ownership between the two variations any thoughts would be appreciated as I am going to see the car today

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
guys I am brand new to this forum. at 61, I decided I needed a naturally aspirated engine before they where a thing in the past. Over the last 5 weeks I have done my research and decided a gt350 with the Voooodo would be the way to go. The 2 top 10 finishes in car and driver helped. I did not know until 3 days ago about the gt refresh. You guys forgot today more than I will know about the car in the next year. So reassure me I found a 350 with strips gray and white probably 750 under sticker. The car more likely than not see a track but a high revving v8 sounds good. so is the 12 grand up charge over a loaded 2018 loaded gt a no brainer? One of the guys talked about the delta which is the cost of ownership between the two variations any thoughts would be appreciated as I am going to see the car today
The sounds and rev of the Flat Plane Crank, killer brakes, and experience of the GT350 will not be replicated in the new GT. The GT350 captured something that no other Mustang has been able to, and the new GT is not going to have the same tech and feel even though it looks good on paper IMO. Plus the looks of the Shelby are so much better IMO. What the GT350 has been able to do is something very special, the GT is, at this point, unproven.

On top of that, look at the production #'s- The GT350 will hold it's value better long term as the GT will be mass produced to the point of heavy discounts.

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Welcome [MENTION=31295]v-man[/MENTION]. This forum is filled with a ton of good information, and some bad; I would suggest, as questions arise, try doing a search first - I always do and normally get my answers.

Regarding your question, I bought mine a year ago. It is the first American car I've owned in 37 years of driving. I never considered the GT, not that there is anything wrong with it. The GT350 is just so much more than the sum of it's parts. When folks ask me about mine, I always say "It's everything you heard and read, and then some". Very special, indeed.

Not sure what you are going to be looking at; if it's a '17, it includes the '15/'16 Track Pack goodies. If it's a '16 Tech Pack, be advised that it does not have the Trans and Diff coolers, which are important if the car will see track duty.

Regarding cost of ownership, I can't see there being much of a difference, except for fuel - The voodoo is so intoxicating MPG be damned!

Good luck and let us know how you made out!

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Don't be surprised if the A10 GTPP runs a 12 flat 1/4 Mile and the M6 a 12.5ish plus pull over 1 G on the skid pad. For $40k $45k I'll take it, only snobs and elitist won't see the value in that.
So I take it that must mean I'm an elitist and a snob because I'm 100% aware that quarter miles and controlled environment skid pads aren't real world driving experiences and there's more to a car than just that.

For talking about elitists and snobs you sure do sound like one. On that one, I have my own reasons for liking and disliking certain pieces the '18 GT .

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
It's cheaper because Ford doesn't have to take into account all the warranty claims the GT350 has had with limp mode, oil leaks, oil consumption etc since they pretty much used the GT350 as a guinea pig. Also the fact the GT350 trickled down to the regular GT just like the Corvette does to the Camaro. Don't be surprised if the A10 GTPP runs a 12 flat 1/4 Mile and the M6 a 12.5ish plus pull over 1 G on the skid pad. For $40k $45k I'll take it, only snobs and elitist won't see the value in that.
Good luck with your '18 GTPP.
Sponsored