Sponsored

First track day in the R

teamsketch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350R
For some context, I've been tracking cars for about 10 years. In that time I've tracked an E46 M3, a Porsche Cayman S, E36 M3, E90 M3, and a Boss 302, all in various states of tune and modification. After driving the 350R on track, all I can say is WOW! This is one of the best track experiences I have ever had. There are so many positives with this car:

- Just amazing chassis control. I can't believe it drives this well considering the weight.

- Transmission is so good. Feels like I'm shifting an S2000 or the E36. Heal toe under heavy braking is so easy and such a joy. Was a little worried about this because it can be challenging on the street, but it is so easy to roll hard into the brakes and heal toe into 3rd or 2nd for a tight turn.

- At Pacific Raceways, turn 1 is not much of a turn, but in the Shelby I was pushing 140+. Don't know if it is the chassis or aero, but the car felt so planted.

- So hooked up coming out of corners, couldn't believe how early I could get on the throttle out of most corners.

- Amazingly tossable for such a large vehicle. There is a section where I intentionally get the car light in the rear to get it rotate around more. The Shelby responded no problem without any surprises.

- Only mod is camber plates and -2 degrees in the front. Tires look good and didn't feel like I was cooking them.

- So much power in the top end!

Only two downsides for the day. First, the brakes did fade a few times (long pedal travel) however, I am still running stock pads and fluid (completely cooked the front pads in 4 sessions.) I assume with some better fluid and pads this problem will be solved. Any suggestions on a good track pad? Ran Hawks on the Boss and Pagid on the M3 but open to other suggestions. Also was looking to go with Motul or Endless for fluid, don't know what the specs are for the stock fluid.

The other downside was staying in the seat. In other cars I have done the half-cage, seats, 6 way harness thing. Was hoping to not jump into that right away but the movement is screwing up my footwork. How much cutting is required to install a Watson bar? Are people happy with the 4 points with the stock seats? Would like to keep the stock seats if I can before throwing in the 'real' Recaros.

Anyway, everything everyone has ever said about this car is true. It really is that good on track.
Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Sounds like you had a good time! So jealous of anyone who has a track local to them :(

Lot of people on here are running Castrol SRF for their brake fluid. I believe some others are running Pagid or Ferodo brake pads; there is actually a full thread dedicated to braking here if you run a search. Very surprised to hear you had brake fade though, would be the first time I've heard of it; even professional drivers did not experience fade. Wondering if you perhaps have some air in the lines from the factory? Most people on here seem to simply be switching to the Castrol brake fluid and leaving everything else stock, similar to the Track Attack cars as it is all that is needed.

Have fun with it ;)

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I believe there is a detailed install of the Watson 4 point in the forums. There is some trimming required but didn't seem extensive and holes in the delete itself.

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
Very surprised to hear you had brake fade though, would be the first time I've heard of it; even professional drivers did not experience fade. Wondering if you perhaps have some air in the lines from the factory?
You can definitely notice brake fade with the stock brakes on track. I didn't feel it on my first track day at Sonoma Raceway, but I could feel the brake pedal getting soft at Thunderhill after a few very hard laps. 2 cool-down laps and they were good to go for another few laps before the brake fade returned. I just upgraded to Castrol SRF and G-Lock pads (R12 front, R10 rears) last weekend so we'll see how well it all holds up when I get back to Sonoma in 2 weeks.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I had some fade at my last event as well. I hadn't bled the brakes in a while, though.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
...so if you ever need someone else to, I don't know, provide a "second opinion" on your car on track... I guess I'll volunteer. :)

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Did you run on stock alignment or FP settings? I am also surprised to here about brake fade. Just an observation, could you be over using the brakes? Maybe it is just technique and not a limitation of the brakes. In my track pack which is considerably heavier than the base R did not exhibit brake fade whatsoever.

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
OP, I'm local to you and ran Pacific last week. Curious what group you were out with? I run the Raybestos ST43 pads from Porterfield and they work great. No issues at all with these pads and I run them hard. I also have the Schroth Quickfit Pro 4 point. I plan to be out at The Ridge with Turn 2 on 8/11. Maybe we can connect there and I'll show you my setup? With that and few other mods my car is dialed in for the track.

DirtRoadTrip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
OP, I'm local to you and ran Pacific last week. Curious what group you were out with? I run the Raybestos ST43 pads from Porterfield and they work great. No issues at all with these pads and I run them hard. I also have the Schroth Quickfit Pro 4 point. I plan to be out at The Ridge with Turn 2 on 8/11. Maybe we can connect there and I'll show you my setup? With that and few other mods my car is dialed in for the track.
How much life relative to stock pads are you getting with the Raybestos pads? Any issues with swapping them in/out with stock without changing rotors?

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
For some context, I've been tracking cars for about 10 years. In that time I've tracked an E46 M3, a Porsche Cayman S, E36 M3, E90 M3, and a Boss 302, all in various states of tune and modification. After driving the 350R on track, all I can say is WOW! This is one of the best track experiences I have ever had. There are so many positives with this car:

- Just amazing chassis control. I can't believe it drives this well considering the weight.

- Transmission is so good. Feels like I'm shifting an S2000 or the E36. Heal toe under heavy braking is so easy and such a joy. Was a little worried about this because it can be challenging on the street, but it is so easy to roll hard into the brakes and heal toe into 3rd or 2nd for a tight turn.

- At Pacific Raceways, turn 1 is not much of a turn, but in the Shelby I was pushing 140+. Don't know if it is the chassis or aero, but the car felt so planted.

- So hooked up coming out of corners, couldn't believe how early I could get on the throttle out of most corners.

- Amazingly tossable for such a large vehicle. There is a section where I intentionally get the car light in the rear to get it rotate around more. The Shelby responded no problem without any surprises.

- Only mod is camber plates and -2 degrees in the front. Tires look good and didn't feel like I was cooking them.

- So much power in the top end!

Only two downsides for the day. First, the brakes did fade a few times (long pedal travel) however, I am still running stock pads and fluid (completely cooked the front pads in 4 sessions.) I assume with some better fluid and pads this problem will be solved. Any suggestions on a good track pad? Ran Hawks on the Boss and Pagid on the M3 but open to other suggestions. Also was looking to go with Motul or Endless for fluid, don't know what the specs are for the stock fluid.

The other downside was staying in the seat. In other cars I have done the half-cage, seats, 6 way harness thing. Was hoping to not jump into that right away but the movement is screwing up my footwork. How much cutting is required to install a Watson bar? Are people happy with the 4 points with the stock seats? Would like to keep the stock seats if I can before throwing in the 'real' Recaros.

Anyway, everything everyone has ever said about this car is true. It really is that good on track.

I believe OEM brake fluid fill is Pentosin LV. Optimum Performance carries Pentosin, Endless, and Motul fluids.

Sponsored
OP
OP

teamsketch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350R
Did you run on stock alignment or FP settings? I am also surprised to here about brake fade. Just an observation, could you be over using the brakes? Maybe it is just technique and not a limitation of the brakes. In my track pack which is considerably heavier than the base R did not exhibit brake fade whatsoever.
Was running on FP settings, but with -2 degrees up front and -1.5 degrees rear.

OP
OP

teamsketch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350R
Ran with Proformance for twilight lapping. Was thinking about doing either the 8/4 or 8/11 T2 days at the Ridge.

How does the Schroth Quickfit mount?

cjgt350

Adrenaline Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F250 Platinum 2016 GT350 TP
Stay with the Schroth 4pt harness whether the Quick Fit (Pro)or ProFi II variety with the Anti-Submarine tech if staying with the stock seats as I did. Too many folks dismiss the ASM technology when staying with the stock seats.

As far as brakes: I went with Ferodo DSUNO front and DS1.11 rear pads. Very pleased with the performance. Also running Torque RT700 brake fluid.