Sponsored

Speed Cameras

Copyless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Race Red w/White OTT Stripes
I don't know the law in other states, but in Georgia a red light camera ticket (don't have speed camera tickets) is a civil penalty and not an actual traffic offense like an officer stopping you and citing you for running the same red light. Here the officer citing you could be $1000 fine and 3 points on your license, but the camera sending you the notice (like the one you received) is a $70 dollar fine and not points against your license and it is actually not even reported to the DMV. The red light camera notice comes with a nice letter stating that your vehicle ran the red light, gives you like three pictures of your car crossing the balk line and the status of the light while doing so, along with the $70 fine and how to pay. They know most people when they receive this letter along with the pics and such, will just send in the $70 because they fear the penalties if they don't comply, but here if you don't pay the fine, because it is a civil penalty and not a citation (most do not know this, they think it is an actual ticket) the worst thing they can do is report it to the credit bureau, and I guess they could sell it to credit collectors if they are dumb enough to buy those types of "monies owed". So, basically I would almost agree with the other reply that stated "just don't pay it" again I don't know the laws in other states but if you were here and asking about a red light camera ticket, I would definitely say toss it in the trash and don't even think about it, unless you just want to give away $70.

I almost forgot, here in Georgia, the law also required the people that say you owe them money (like the fine for the camera offense) to send out a second notice by certified mail, if and when the first one was not paid, this one is required to prove that a person actually received the notice, without the certified letter the debt could not be reported to collected upon, unless the people just willingly sent the $70 in when they got the first notice (which probably 95% of the people do). In Atlanta they found the independent company that was responsible for looking at the camera offenses, sending out and collecting the fines, were not actually sending out the certified letters, so any reports to credit bureau's and collections started had to be stopped and they then decided that the cost of running the cameras was more than the revenue brought in (if people didn't just pay the fine blindly) so they shut them down.

I too, would pay my fine (if received) and rather have the cameras and have the officers concentrate on more important issues and crimes, but I hate to say this, but, DREAM ON, because this doesn't happen because they placed speed cameras, red light cameras, etc., in places. So I wouldn't pay it, and yes, for all the people that haven't received speeding tickets, red light tickets, etc., I have done both almost daily. I am not saying this should be done, because it shouldn't, but sometimes there are other circumstances that change situations, for example, I drive around 100-125,000 miles every year, and I approach lights that turn yellow while doing 45 MPH, but carrying 6000 pounds in the back of a pickup truck and towing a trailer weighing about 7500 pounds, it been sprinkling rain so the roads are wet, now I could lay heavily on the brakes and MAYBE get stopped before the balk line, or I may travel on into the intersection because of the weights and wet road, or continue on and run the light. I would take all factors in making my decision, but I will say that sometimes I stop and sometimes I "technically" run the red light.
Sponsored

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
Just don't pay it, don't even bother with court/whatever else has been mentioned. The state can't prove you even received the letter...
The fine will likely twice after a 30 day period of unpaid fine and then they keep on sending you the letter.

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
So to address the waze comments:

It does show cameras as someone else pointed out.

I have talked to a couple police officers from varying districts (friends and friends of friends) and they all either asked what waze was or told me that cops don't care about it. In reality there are plenty of people in the world not using waze who are also speeding. Its not hard for cops to give speeding tickets. Unless you hit an organized multi officer speed trap or are on a very secluded road, you probably just got really unlucky and were the first guy the cop saw after parking and thought was worth the time to ticket.

And the 3rd big thing is that YES you can hook waze up to sync 3 headunits, at least if you're in the know ;). You just have to have the latest sync software update (openly available though official channels) so that you can run android auto. The catch is that waze for android auto is currently in closed beta and its no guarentee you'll get in on the action. I would bet the public release happens before the end of the year though as I have had at least 2 updates to the waze beta and it runs nearly flawlessly for me on the sync screen as is. Its quite nice having the it on the big car screen instead of having to look down at a phone to watch for cops.

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
So to address the waze comments:

It does show cameras as someone else pointed out.

I have talked to a couple police officers from varying districts (friends and friends of friends) and they all either asked what waze was or told me that cops don't care about it. In reality there are plenty of people in the world not using waze who are also speeding. Its not hard for cops to give speeding tickets. Unless you hit an organized multi officer speed trap or are on a very secluded road, you probably just got really unlucky and were the first guy the cop saw after parking and thought was worth the time to ticket.

And the 3rd big thing is that YES you can hook waze up to sync 3 headunits, at least if you're in the know ;). You just have to have the latest sync software update (openly available though official channels) so that you can run android auto. The catch is that waze for android auto is currently in closed beta and its no guarentee you'll get in on the action. I would bet the public release happens before the end of the year though as I have had at least 2 updates to the waze beta and it runs nearly flawlessly for me on the sync screen as is. Its quite nice having the it on the big car screen instead of having to look down at a phone to watch for cops.
Good to know. I have an iPhone so I hope Waze will eventually come out for Apple Play.

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
No problem, sorry I'm useless on the speed camera topics though. I have heard about what a few said about not needing to pay camera fines etc. I would guess rules vary widely by jurisdiction though.

I think I saw Waze for CarPlay was in beta but I could be wrong.

CORRECTION! I just came across an article on the verge saying waze for android auto is out so it may be out of beta and offical now!

Sponsored

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
Good to know. I have an iPhone so I hope Waze will eventually come out for Apple Play.
Waze is on the apple store. It's free and has red light camera warning built in. In fact the warnings are audible so if you're listening to music on your iPhone the voice alert will interrupt and remind you a camera is ahead. A little annoying for routine rides but priceless if you're driving in foreign territory.

I've got about 2k in various electronics to defeat law enforcement tech but the free app Waze has many more saves than all the other gadgets put together. I think it's a must have.

Oh and it give traffic updates so if you don't like being stuck in traffic jams it detects the delay and can re-route you or you can re-route yourself like I do. Many times I've been on the freeway, see a big red string of cars on the map then exit and bypass the whole mess. Waze is a real game changer.