Pro tip: Always check your wheels after having them mounted by a shop

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Well I got my FS05s in last July 14th and got them mounted the next day. When they finished I was not smart enough to check to make sure there was no damage to the wheels. Well today I was gonna do some work on my car and noticed chips on three of the four wheels:

f27v3t.jpg

mwtwn8.jpg

wtj32p.jpg

Went back today and of course they deny it and I am shit out of luck because I have been driving this car for a week. I really doubt this is just normal wear and tear...what is the possibility that nearly the same areas were damaged? Either way, check your wheels thoroughly after having them mounted guys and gals. Do not do the stupid shit I did. Now I am stuck with new wheels that look like they have been on the car for years. Good looking out :frusty:
Sponsored

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Man that sucks, sorry to hear of this. I wouldn't think powder coat would chip that easy.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
nah the pro-tip is drag the manager out there BEFORE you hand it to them.

OP
OP
mindys

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
nah the pro-tip is drag the manager out there BEFORE you hand it to them.
Check the wheels right when you get the car back. If you see damage that was not there before the work, let them know and have them fix it or pay for fixing it.

5LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt base 6spd mans transmission
Looks like the tech either has a crappy impact wrench or he doesnt know what hes doing. Looks like damage from impact socket wobbling around after lug removal.
Being i dont have aftermarket wheels yet, i never check and trust the ford tech. But when i do get a nice set, i always check after a service to include body and the area they worked on.
Hope it gets sorted out, because its obvious what caused that damage.

Sponsored

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
Yikes, sorry to see that. Hopefully you can find some close matte bronze paint to touch up?

OP
OP
mindys

mindys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mindaugas
Vehicle(s)
2020 VW GTI SE
Yikes, sorry to see that. Hopefully you can find some close matte bronze paint to touch up?
Indeed. I asked for a quote to redo the wheels from a local place with the same color. I will go with that quote to the shop and show them the quote and try to work with them from there. But I feel like I will not get anywhere and will need to get some close matching bronze paint.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Sorry to hear . . .

It's a little late now, but this is why I always bring wheels and tires in "loose" and mount them on my cars myself. Most times I bring the wheels and tires in the car that they're ultimately going to go on, like I'm going to need that car while the tire mounting and balancing is happening.

In addition to the issue of possible damage around the lug holes, I will know for certain that each wheel was snugged down evenly before torquing and that lug nuts were torqued in multiple-step sequence to the specific value and not run all the way down with an air-impact to nobody-really-knows-how-tight like it was practice for a NASCAR pit stop.

Norm

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
One reason I don't let anyone touch my wheels. ever. I take them off, pop centercaps out too and have the work done and I install myself because people who work with them just don't care.
Sponsored