HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Since the OP specifically mentioned space between parking spots, the obvious solution is scissor doors. I have no idea if I would have a problem with a partially opened door because I NEVER park next to another car unless I get a deposit from the owner to cover any damage they may do with their doors. So changing parking habits can help.

But I have to ask: Just why is a true Mustang fan getting out of the car in the first place?
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Haha that car looks super small but super fun :lol:

Yeah I didn't get to go very far in it but I could tell it would be lots of fun and the owner was definitely enjoying it. Too bad it had an automated trans instead of a true manual.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I just sort of lean in with my right leg hovering while holding the wheel with my left hand, then once I'm above the seat I just drop down and hope I got far enough over that I don't split my crack over the seat edge.

I do the split squat getting out as someone else mentioned. It's always accompanied by a groan, but I probably groan when doing a split squat in the gym as well..lol

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I also park in a lot, and find myself....as a fat guy....struggling to get in and out.

Of course I'm not an asshole, so I'm very careful of the vehicles next to me.

Moving the seat back is the biggest help.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
My seat is already all the way back. But, good point...

I also park in a lot, and find myself....as a fat guy....struggling to get in and out.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
With my bad left ankle I can no longer twist as I get in, so like others here I get in butt first and then rotate my feet in. Getting out is the opposite and yes, it makes me feel kind of old...but not as bad as with the old Mach1 which was lower to the ground.

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes parking at work is the biggest hindrance. I get in so early, so there is a free parking spot next to me. However, when I'm leaving for the day, well, that's another story...

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen a few videos of this. I think one thing that will help is the steering wheel with the flat bottom (above the thighs).

I might have to convince the missus that I NEED one ;)

With my bad left ankle I can no longer twist as I get in, so like others here I get in butt first and then rotate my feet in. Getting out is the opposite and yes, it makes me feel kind of old...

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm not as limber as I was at, oh, age 67 :lol:

So I put the steering wheel up as high as it will go. Sit on the seat, swing right leg in, either swing left leg in (good days) or pull it in with arms/hands (on the not so good days or in tight parking situations). More or less the reverse when getting out.

I won't own any vehicle where I don't end up having to get in and out that way. Tall is out, and chair-height seating is for the kitchen, the dining room, and the potty. Not for driving.

Norm

Sponsored

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
Eat a salad, park at the far end of the lot and walk!
J/K! I'm an old fatso....just have to make grunting noises as you exit the car!

CCCP1999

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
CHAS
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
My C6 Vette is even worse to get in and out of. I can't even open the door all the way in my garage and that makes it even harder.

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
With my bad left ankle I can no longer twist as I get in, so like others here I get in butt first and then rotate my feet in. Getting out is the opposite and yes, it makes me feel kind of old...but not as bad as with the old Mach1 which was lower to the ground.
My dad always had a bad back so he figured that I'd eventually have the same problem. He showed me this as the best way to get in and out of a car without twisting your back. It felt comfortable and made sense so I've always done it that way. Of course it doesn't quite work if you're getting into something taller.

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
is the work parking lot large enough that if you park at the furthest point nobody else will park next to you so that the door can swing wide open?

jordystang69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
I don't ever park directly next to anyone. If i'm unable to fully open my door fully, I need to squeeze out and try my hardest not to scuff the door panel with my shoes. Already have a bunch of scuff marks on the door panel in the first week I got the car new (anyone have a good way to buff these out btw?). The premium easy exit may help where it moves the seat back.
Sponsored