HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I ordered a set of the Steeda rails some time ago right before doing some work that rails would make easier. But I decided to go ahead before they arrived then sat them aside until the next time I might need rails.

After that, BMR came out with their low profile rails so I ordered a set with the idea of comparing the two and selling off the set I didn't use.

Either will let you jack one side of the car up with a jack somewhere in the middle. So it comes down to less important details.

I would rate the appearance of the BMR higher, but since you can't see them unless you are under the car, that's probably not too high on anyone's list.

The BMRs come in high gloss powdercoat (choice of black hammer-tone or red). I chose red because I have the redline interior and may add red stripes. The Steedas come in matte wrinkle black.

The BMRs are a boxed construction from end to end. The Steeda are shorter boxes with extensions welded to each end that are drilled for the bolt holes.

A jack can be used anywhere along the length of the BMRs (51"). The Steedas can be jacked up along the 35" center boxed section. But since you can jack up the entire side of a car with either, the added length may not be of any value. FWIW, most of the 16" difference is at the rear of the rails.

The BMRs are about 2 lbs lighter for the set which I did not expect since the boxed portion is so much longer. I didn't have a way to accurately measure the thickness of the BMR steel but can feel the thickness around the bolt holes. The BMR feels a little thinner which may explain the lighter weight.

The BMRs fit snug against the under-body of the car. The portion of the Steedas you can jack on are NOT pressed against the floor. That is due to the fact that the boxed section is welded on top of the end extensions (or rather on the bottom of the extensions as installed). So they are offset from the floor by the thickness of the extensions. I don't know which is best, although I would prefer them to be flush with the body unless that puts stress on any waviness in the body.

The boxed sections of both are 1" tall. That puts the BMRs even with the height of the pinch welds. The Steeda installation pictures show them extending slightly lower than the pinch welds which confused me a little until I realized it was because the boxed section was pushed down the thickness of the end extensions it was welded to.

There was some sort of putty on the car near the front bolts for either. If that was left in place, the BMRs would not fit flush to the under-body and either brand would allow some flex since there would be a gap between the rail and the body in the front. It was easy to remove the putty. I just grabbed a pry bar and scraped the putty off with the end. I thought it might scrape thru the paint but it didn't.

The BMR uses 4 existing bolts. The Steeda uses the same two bolt holes in the front but different holes in the back. Steeda supplies bolts but I did not open the bag to see if it was all 4 or just bolts for holes that no bolts were in from the factory. Steeda says the bolts they provide are stronger than the factory bolts but since the bolts have almost no loads on them in use, I don't see any value in that.

I don't know BUT there may be other reasons the Steeda rails are shorter such as for compatibility with other Steeda products, so consider future mods when choosing jacking rails.

I guess I would prefer BMR rails the length of the Steeda rails. That would make the BMRs even more lighter than the Steedas.

I did find it amusing that both companies said you need to jack the car up or use ramps to install the jacking rails. But I did it with the car on the ground and I doubt that added even the time to line up a set of ramps and driving the car up on them. I did use a shaving mirror and flashlight to confirm I got all the putty off.

The factory bolts had blue lock-tight on them but apparently NOT where the threads engaged in the body. After breaking them loose, they would turn by hand quite a bit before the threads with factory lock-tight came into play. So I put lock-tight the length of the threads before re-installing. FWIW the factory bolts did not have much torque on them from the factory.

Now I need to sell my Steeda rails, still in the factory wrap.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
This is too funny. My passenger door was slightly harder to close than I liked since new. Not much but enough to feel a slight difference between the driver and passenger door. Most may never have noticed. And it was not enough for me to risk the side effects of a dealer fix, even if I could get them to recognize it.

The jacking rails fixed it. I guess forcing the underside of the car on the passenger side against the jacking rail, lined things up better. LoL

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
do the longer BMR's interfere with the location on the pinch weld where the factory spare tire jack would go?

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Great post! We are very happy with both the more robust and heavier duty CJR001 (the first jacking rails on the market for the S550 Mustang) and the newer Super-Low Profile and much more simple CJR002 offering. Both are very popular items for us. :thumbsup:

Our first design that never came to fruition was actually similar to the ones you decided not to use, and we decided that since we do not have other components to interfere AND that we wanted to be able to jack along the entire length, to discard that design. The picture below shows the original design prototype from 2014.
_MG_6357sml.jpg

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
do the longer BMR's interfere with the location on the pinch weld where the factory spare tire jack would go?
I don't know. I drive a Performance Package, so no spare. Maybe BMR will answer.

Sponsored

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
Here are some installed photos that should help you out [MENTION=26738]melwff[/MENTION]
IMG_8712 copy.jpg

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you, OP, for the feedback – it is great when the customer gets the opportunity to compare two (2) companies that sell similar products.

Steeda just wanted to clear-up any questions or confusion that forum members may have in regards to the Steeda jacking rails.

The Steeda units are 16” shorter and are CNC laser cut & formed before being welded – we use a 2” x 1” material with an 11 gauge wall (.120) that will not dent or fold like thinner materials, trust me when I say, Steeda has tested them! It is interesting to find a longer rail would have weight saving compared to the shorter unit.

Additionally, the reason for the shorter length is because our rails are made to work with our incredibly popular Steeda IRS braces … among many other aftermarket parts.

When we design our parts, we take these factors into consideration.

Also, the reason we went with a slight gap between the chassis and the rails is to prevent noise, chassis deformation and chassis creaking.

Lastly, the rail does sit slightly below the pinch welds as that’s what we are protecting.

We wish the competition the best of luck when it comes to their chassis rails – here at Steeda, we have been very happy with the response & demand of our jacking rails and truly appreciate your testing.

Best Regards,

TJ

bobbyh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Thank you, OP, for the feedback – it is great when the customer gets the opportunity to compare two (2) companies that sell similar products.

Steeda just wanted to clear-up any questions or confusion that forum members may have in regards to the Steeda jacking rails.

The Steeda units are 16” shorter and are CNC laser cut & formed before being welded – we use a 2” x 1” material with an 11 gauge wall (.120) that will not dent or fold like thinner materials, trust me when I say, Steeda has tested them! It is interesting to find a longer rail would have weight saving compared to the shorter unit.

Additionally, the reason for the shorter length is because our rails are made to work with our incredibly popular Steeda IRS braces … among many other aftermarket parts.

When we design our parts, we take these factors into consideration.

Also, the reason we went with a slight gap between the chassis and the rails is to prevent noise, chassis deformation and chassis creaking.

Lastly, the rail does sit slightly below the pinch welds as that’s what we are protecting.

We wish the competition the best of luck when it comes to their chassis rails – here at Steeda, we have been very happy with the response & demand of our jacking rails and truly appreciate your testing.

Best Regards,

TJ
I bought my car used with the Steeda jacking rails and IRS braces already installed.

The rails work great but fall more than slightly below the pinch welds. I'd say they hang down about 1/2" below the pinch welds.

This wasn't a concern before but now that I'm going to lower the car I am concerned about them bottoming out on steep driveways or speedbumps.

Are there different versions of your rails?

Thanks

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
I bought my car used with the Steeda jacking rails and IRS braces already installed.

The rails work great but fall more than slightly below the pinch welds. I'd say they hang down about 1/2" below the pinch welds.

This wasn't a concern before but now that I'm going to lower the car I am concerned about them bottoming out on steep driveways or speedbumps.

Are there different versions of your rails?

Thanks
Yes, our new Ultra low rails have much more ground clearance if needed.

Steeda Tech

Sponsored

Texatl

Insensitive jerk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Prem, 6spdMT, Shadow Black
I would rate the appearance of the BMR higher, but since you can't see them unless you are under the car, that's probably not too high on anyone's list.
Sometimes we lay under our cars and just oogle the beauty. :love::love: I have Steeda and love them- one of the best purchases I have made for ease of getting the car in the air alone! Regardless of brand- this is a great addition to any Mustang.

I did find it amusing that both companies said you need to jack the car up or use ramps to install the jacking rails. But I did it with the car on the ground
I installed mine while the car was on the ground as well AFTER my Steeda Progressive Springs were installed. Easy peasy.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

I know where you could get a set of the low profile versions if you were in Arizona. ;)

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Sometimes we lay under our cars and just oogle the beauty. :love::love:
I wasn't going to be the first to admit that. Thanks for blazing the path.

Texatl

Insensitive jerk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Prem, 6spdMT, Shadow Black
FWIW,
I have that same set up (Steeda jacking rails, IRS braces) and the Steeda progressive rate lowering springs and and g-trac brace have never rubbed any of that stuff on speed bumps or driveways approaches.
Sponsored