Sponsored

Xpel experts, please

Av8orntn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I have a yellow "R" with black stripes and used the suntek. I had them leave the stripes uncovered and they put the film over the edges because I didn't want to see the lines. I'm happy with it so far as it's very difficult to tell it's even there but I've only got around 1000 miles so hasn't really been tested.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I have a yellow "R" with black stripes and used the suntek. I had them leave the stripes uncovered and they put the film over the edges because I didn't want to see the lines. I'm happy with it so far as it's very difficult to tell it's even there but I've only got around 1000 miles so hasn't really been tested.
I get why folks aren't wrapping their stripes, however this car will be used on the track. Those stripes will be trashed in one weekend. There is an Xpel matte, correct? I'm thinking of doing the stripes separate, because there is a naturally occurring ridge where the stripe meets the paint.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Id ask them to put a sample on. Where it meets the pin and paint. There will be a small air gap there, unless they run a razor down the edge. I have the tiny air gap there.. but car is white so very hard to notice.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Absolutely do not remove the badges. They will break and you will play hell to get good replacements that don't come in damaged and they are not cheap. I know of 3 guys who attempted removing the fender badges and not one had any success.
The reputable shop that did my clear bra mentioned it was an absolute PITA, but they were able to get it off in the end. Although it did take a couple days longer, so who knows if they had to overnight some parts :lol:

I was quoted $6,000 just for the Xpel wrap itself and nothing else. This is in the bay area, and they're one of the best shops that used Xpel.

Sponsored

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
The reputable shop that did my clear bra mentioned it was an absolute PITA, but they were able to get it off in the end. Although it did take a couple days longer, so who knows if they had to overnight some parts :lol:

I was quoted $6,000 just for the Xpel wrap itself and nothing else. This is in the bay area, and they're one of the best shops that used Xpel.
The badge is extremely fragile. It isn't worth breaking it imo. As they stand a good chance of being damaged in transit. Usually between the t and the 3 and or the 3 and the 5. The xpel has the laser cutout for the emblem and that worked just fine on my track package and will on my R.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
The badge is extremely fragile. It isn't worth breaking it imo. As they stand a good chance of being damaged in transit. Usually between the t and the 3 and or the 3 and the 5. The xpel has the laser cutout for the emblem and that worked just fine on my track package and will on my R.
They said they could do it, so I let them try. At worst, they or I would've bought new badges(and got them painted). I also didn't want cut-outs around the badging if I could help it.

derand

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.derand.com
First Name
Derand
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, C8, R8 V10 Gated, Golf R APR, 19 GT350
I was just quoted $5,500 to fully wrap a GT350R. I seem to recall that about 5K was what I was told.

For all of you that have wrapped your entire car, what did it cost and what are your impressions?

Thanks
We do it here for 4500.00 Canadian with XPEL Ultimate full car with wing and extra's.

derand

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.derand.com
First Name
Derand
Vehicle(s)
I paid $6,000 cash in Canada... thought it was a little expensive considering they were all pre-cut pieces using the printer... but, it was done well and protects the car so well worth it, and the closest installer is literally like 1500 miles away + 7hr ferry ride, so I wasn't willing to double that distance to go to the next available one LOL

To be 100% honest, for the price I paid, and the price you were quoted, that should include 100% custom sheets, i.e cut on the car, with all of the edges wrapped, including badge/hood grill removal, etc.

Biggest benefit, maintenance is a breeze. I bought the XPEL sealant from their website and will apply it a couple of times per year. Washing is super easy, and for light dust I usually just use a quick detailer rather than taking the time to hand wash. Any light scratches in the surface meld away and literally disappear 100% after the film is heated by the sun or in a heated garage.

Biggest aspect is the installer. You can have the best film and have it look like shite if the installer doesn't do well. Mine is almost invisible, and even though the edges aren't wrapped, you really really have to look to see where the film ends. People don't realize mine is wrapped until I tell them, to give you some perspective.

I had XPEL Ultimate installed, in case you are wondering.
Well said.

derand

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.derand.com
First Name
Derand
Vehicle(s)
It was not specified which wrap he was going to use. I hear suntek has some great stuff out now. Xpel ultimate I hear is thicker than most and maybe that is the way to go, since the triple yellow R will be used on the track.

We discussed this about a year ago when I ordered the other R. he sent me to Xpel's website to look at the cutouts and prices. His pricing is to add up all the pieces you want and that's about how much it will cost. He has a large cutter and would use rolls to custom cut each piece. To get the cutting templates from xpel, I remember he told me that cost money per each template. So he saves money by cutting each piece from a large roll and the labor is built into the price difference between what it costs him to cut vs the cost of the retail cutout.

I agree, all the badges and such will have to be removed. Prep (wash, detail, etc) was all included. Stripes are another concern and I know it has gone round and round. The R has matte black stripes. One piece over the hood, roof, and trunk and the stripes will not be matte black anymore. I hear of people doing only paint and leave the stripes alone, and others using a matte xpel over the stripes. And then there is the whole edge or ridge line if you cover the stripes separately...... arg.......

So I guess what I'm looking for is who has done this and how did you address some of the issues above?

I got your perspective Justin, any thing else you might find helpful?

Thanks
None of the badges have to come off period if he is using a plotter and the DAP program bad idea. I've Done lots of 350's and never take them off.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
None of the badges have to come off period if he is using a plotter and the DAP program bad idea. I've Done lots of 350's and never take them off.
Thank you.

I have read your posts, may I ask your opinion?

What do you do with the matte stripe issue?

Thanks

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Thank you.

I have read your posts, may I ask your opinion?

What do you do with the matte stripe issue?

Thanks
Interested to hear this as well. I almost ordered my car with white stripes because of this. In the end I said ef it and went with the matte black. I figured if the stealth wasn't a viable option then I'd just use some type of temporary option while at the track. I believe bossing did over his stock stripes on his 15 track package car and didn't have any issues.

KS10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350R
I went back and forth on this same issue before putting PPF on my R. In the end I went with wrapping the entire car, including the stripes in xpel ultimate. I love the matte stripes and hated to make the stripes glossy, but my car sees track time and I did not want seems and certainly wanted the stripes covered. At the end of the day, the stripes are glossy now, but it still looks good and I have my original paint and stripes protected in the best way possible. It cost me $4500 from a very reputable shop and they did an excellent job. In the end, I would not change the way I did it, I would prefer the matte stripes, but the peace of mind I have from the protection out weighs it for me.
IMG_6233.jpg

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I went with Suntek on my whole front (bumper, fenders, hood, mirrors, A pillar) and front of the rear quarter panel behind the doors. It cost me $1600 and people can't even tell there is film on the car. If I did it again I'd do all the painted surfaces and still might do that down the road.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum

The Bay Area is why the price is so high. 5200 is about the going rate on the east coast so it's not far off.

On another note, maybe it's me but I get nervous if I see a shop that wraps cars and does other auto work. You really want a professional who specializes in wraps. That does not mean other shops that do other work don't have a pro, but I would ask to see their previous work first.

[MENTION=25094]KS10[/MENTION], Your R looks amazing. I went with covering the stripes too. My GT350 was the same color as yours but not an R. I did not do the entire car. 5200 just seemed like a bit too much money for areas that likely won't get damaged.
Sponsored