Best short throw for casual driving

Saywhen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350,2015 f350 lariat,05 Acura rsx,19 gt 10r80 on order
I'd like to know what you guys opinions are on the best short throw for everyday use. I don't track or race my car pretty much ever just some spirited driving for the most part, but I'm looking to clean up my shifts and eliminate the junk factory shifter. It's not a daily driver but it's not a race car either. Just looking for some real world experience and advice. Thanks!
Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Steeda has a nice, affordable option - https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-mustang-tri-ax-short-throw-shifter-2015-all-555-7316.html

30% throw reduction
Shift knob sits 1" lower
Reduces NVH from stock shifter rattle
Completely replaces the factory reverse lockout
No increase in shifter NVH (noise, vibration, harshness)
Retains factory shift knob thread M12 x 1.25 pitch
Retains factory back-up camera
Made of high-quality 4140 heat-treated and nickel-plated steel
Comes with a lifetime warranty

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]LAba--f1qPs[/MEDIA]"]

What a difference
I recently purchased and had installed the Steeda short throw shifter in my '15 5.0. What a difference. The shifts feel tighter and gives the car a whole new feel. After reading some of the other reviews, I'm definitely thinking of now adding the trans bushing and shifter bushing. Thanks for such great products!!
Happy to help if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

TJ

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
I have the Steeda Tri-Ax (full unit) and absolutely love it. I mean, seriously, it's just an excellent piece of kit.

Installation was a bit difficult for me, in large part because I was doing the work solo in my driveway and I'm a very large guy. Getting my hands into some of the tighter spaces definitely made me curse loudly. However, it's been worth it. The shifts are much, much more precise now and lateral deflection is absolutely minimized. Shifting from first to second or third to fourth feels like pulling open the action on a nice bolt-action rifle.

Shift throws are definitely reduced as well (obviously). I have mine topped with a very heavy Anarchy Motive shift knob, which increases leverage even further; with the heavy springs in the Tri-Ax, it's absolutely everything I want.

Now I need to get around to doing something about the clutch with its really high engagement point!

FWIW, I DD and track my Mustang.

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
Boomba is the cheapest and easiest option. Just rent their tool and you can do it in under an hour. No need to get under the car or drop the tranny.

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Boomba is the cheapest and easiest option. Just rent their tool and you can do it in under an hour. No need to get under the car or drop the tranny.
+1 on the Boomba. Super easy install, no console removal, just the boot.
Nice reduction of throw. Great when combined with a heavier knob.

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
+1 on the Boomba. Super easy install, no console removal, just the boot.
Nice reduction of throw. Great when combined with a heavier knob.
I recommend not using their knobs, for some stupid reason you have to heat them to get them to complete the turn that lines it up perfectly. Mine got messed up (wouldn't complete the turn, and the heat melted the decal) and I had to pay for a new one. I much prefer being able to line the knob up using nuts like some other designs utilize. Not sure if they exist for the S550, but had one on my S197

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I installed a WC Lathewerks knob.
Expensive, but awesome.

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
honestly was a little worried about getting the mgw for my daily but have zero ragrets

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I have the Steeda Tri-Ax (full unit) and absolutely love it. I mean, seriously, it's just an excellent piece of kit.

Installation was a bit difficult for me, in large part because I was doing the work solo in my driveway and I'm a very large guy. Getting my hands into some of the tighter spaces definitely made me curse loudly. However, it's been worth it. The shifts are much, much more precise now and lateral deflection is absolutely minimized. Shifting from first to second or third to fourth feels like pulling open the action on a nice bolt-action rifle.

Shift throws are definitely reduced as well (obviously). I have mine topped with a very heavy Anarchy Motive shift knob, which increases leverage even further; with the heavy springs in the Tri-Ax, it's absolutely everything I want.

Now I need to get around to doing something about the clutch with its really high engagement point!

FWIW, I DD and track my Mustang.
Same here. The Steeda Tri-Ax race short throw shifter is definitely a major improvement over the stock. No problems, no issues, no nothin'. Very happy with it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Saywhen

Saywhen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350,2015 f350 lariat,05 Acura rsx,19 gt 10r80 on order
Do some of the offerings not support the backup camera?

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
+1 on the Steeda. I'm sure others are great. I just see no negatives with it. It is like butter.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
The Steeda unit Retains the factory pull-up reverse lockout, OE thread pitch, and back-up camera functionality.

Best Regards,

TJ

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP