Sponsored

Aftermarket GT350 Transmission Cooler Install w/ pics & part list (Base & Tech Pack))

OP
OP

earlSpilner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base (arriving Dec 2015)
I plan to buy a replacement cooler for mine and then get the fitting to convert it to an AN fitting. I think that will eliminate the need for the radiator bracket. I will come up with something to mount the pump though. My dad gets parts for much cheaper than I can go in and buy them since he has his own shop. We'll see though.
At my local track another GT350 owner mounted the pump in the space behind the fender vent (just in front of the door but before the wheel). There is a very large space there however it gets a decent amount of water and debris in there. So I decided against that option.
Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
[MENTION=18204]lemers[/MENTION] [MENTION=17369]rb92gt[/MENTION] I went through all the old threads and see your point about the kit.

Checking into price and availability of the OEM cooler with brackets (prefer that to the adventure of trying to fabricate and find mounting points unless I absolutely have to).

Will source lines, fittings and pump separately. Best case, I can build a thermostatically activated system like TonyJ5150's.

Once I have the details, I start a separate thread to build upon the work Earl has done here.

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
[MENTION=18204]lemers[/MENTION] [MENTION=17369]rb92gt[/MENTION] I went through all the old threads and see your point about the kit.

Checking into price and availability of the OEM cooler with brackets (prefer that to the adventure of trying to fabricate and find mounting points unless I absolutely have to).

Will source lines, fittings and pump separately. Best case, I can build a thermostatically activated system like TonyJ5150's.

Once I have the details, I start a separate thread to build upon the work Earl has done here.
Will be looking forward to this. One of the advantages of going to the OEM cooler kit is that the cooler will mount in a location that does not interfere with other components, such as the windshield washer fluid container, the down side to using the OEM cooler kit, is that you need to source a separate pump which requires a space to mount, and those locations require some innovative thinking to be able to place them and route the hoses to obtain the proper amount of flow. I am going to be doing this as a winter project, but will run a few times to gauge performance parameters overall, handling and cooling.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

I was just trying to make sure that you knew that Ford didnt design the cooler package to be used without the transmission swap. It will net you extra parts; but you could use them later if you decide to do the whole swap later.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Will be looking forward to this. One of the advantages of going to the OEM cooler kit is that the cooler will mount in a location that does not interfere with other components, such as the windshield washer fluid container, the down side to using the OEM cooler kit, is that you need to source a separate pump which requires a space to mount, and those locations require some innovative thinking to be able to place them and route the hoses to obtain the proper amount of flow. I am going to be doing this as a winter project, but will run a few times to gauge performance parameters overall, handling and cooling.
I agree with your logic of gauging performance first. Spent a full day at the NĂĽrburgring this week, which made me decide to start the install ASAP-begrugingly.

A little concerned about pump mounting location, but others (to include the OP) have provided some great ideas. I want to avoid drilling at all possible costs, particularly when it comes to wiring through the firewall. However, first step is getting a good parts list and suppliers that will ship via USPS. The adventure begins.

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I was just trying to make sure that you knew that Ford didnt design the cooler package to be used without the transmission swap. It will net you extra parts; but you could use them later if you decide to do the whole swap later.
I appreciate that you brought it up.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with your logic of gauging performance first. Spent a full day at the NĂĽrburgring this week, which made me decide to start the install ASAP-begrugingly.

A little concerned about pump mounting location, but others (to include the OP) have provided some great ideas. I want to avoid drilling at all possible costs, particularly when it comes to wiring through the firewall. However, first step is getting a good parts list and suppliers that will ship via USPS. The adventure begins.
Are you going to do the install yourself or find a shop in EU to do it?

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Are you going to do the install yourself or find a shop in EU to do it?
Planning to do it myself at the Auto Hobby Shop. With all the advice on the forum, a lift and every tool imaginable, I should be able to pull it off without too much difficulty.

Just in case, I also have a guy who can help me through if I hit any snags. He owns a local shop. Besides being a great mechanic, he races...and wins continuously. Perfect back-up to have.

zombiekiller

warranties are 4 wussies
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
16 gt350, 66 galaxie,a Tesla, and an AMG G63
At my local track another GT350 owner mounted the pump in the space behind the fender vent (just in front of the door but before the wheel). There is a very large space there however it gets a decent amount of water and debris in there. So I decided against that option.
actually, you're wrong. The only way that space would get a ton of anything is if you removed the fender liner.

I have my pump installed there. works like a charm and gets enough airflow to keep the pump cool.

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
Fittings

Suggestions for connecting braided hose to OEM cooler (metal barb style)? I know it will be cheaper to buy all aftermarket and fabricate my own brackets to hold the cooler, but think I want the ease of the cooler bolting right up. I hate to use AN fittings everywhere then have to use clamps at the cooler, seems like a weak link.

Sponsored

zombiekiller

warranties are 4 wussies
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Suggestions for connecting braided hose to OEM cooler (metal barb style)? I know it will be cheaper to buy all aftermarket and fabricate my own brackets to hold the cooler, but think I want the ease of the cooler bolting right up. I hate to use AN fittings everywhere then have to use clamps at the cooler, seems like a weak link.
at the cooler I used gates heat activated clamps and put hose clamps over top of them as a failsafe. I used the factory radiators for both trans and differential and just lubed the AN line and pressed it on.

Gilby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, 98 Cobra
There are adapters that you can buy. I bought a set from someone that has already done the swap on his.

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
There are adapters that you can buy. I bought a set from someone that has already done the swap on his.
Thanks, any idea what the adapters are called? Can't seem to find them. Obviously the cooler end needs to be the same fitting type the OEM lines have, but the other end needs to be AN, can't seem to find such fitting.

zombiekiller

warranties are 4 wussies
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, any idea what the adapters are called? Can't seem to find them. Obviously the cooler end needs to be the same fitting type the OEM lines have, but the other end needs to be AN, can't seem to find such fitting.
do you own a flare tool?

you could always cut a stock line, roll a flare into the end, then press fit the AN hose over it, securing it with a gates heat clamp. I would not do it without the flare, but it is a rather low pressure line and should work fine.

the other option would be to use the same factory line bit, then slide an AN hardline end/fitting, flare and use a male 8AN end on that side of the AN hose.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
[MENTION=21671]zombiekiller[/MENTION] what pump did you use. I saw your post of where's mounted and that it pumps 2.3 gpm, but can't tell the brand/model. Also, did you have to drill any holes to mount it?
Sponsored