Sponsored

Continental, ExtremeContact SPORT tire review -with Motec Data (MotoIQ)

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
I have the Continental ExtremeContact DW right now and have no complaints at all. I was planning on getting another set once these ran out but I'll certainly be looking at these ExtremeContact SPORT's to see how they compare.

Thanks for the article!
Sponsored

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
On the stock PP wheels, do you guys think I should stay with 275s or move up a bit to 285s?

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Why? An extra 10mm width times the aspect ratio of 40% is an extra 4mm of sidewall ... multiply that times 2 for the top and bottom of the tire and you've got 8mm in extra height ... looks beefier and fills the fender gap better without much effect on speedo, etc..

I'd consider it and have done it in the past on other cars.

Shadowblack5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
Why? An extra 10mm width times the aspect ratio of 40% is an extra 4mm of sidewall ... multiply that times 2 for the top and bottom of the tire and you've got 8mm in extra height ... looks beefier and fills the fender gap better without much effect on speedo, etc..

They don't make 285/40-19, they have 285/35-19 but that would be a smaller sidewall than the 275/40

Sponsored

OP
OP

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many

In addition to what shadowblack said,

The GTPP rear wheel is 9.5" wide. The 275/40-19 EC Sport has a 11.1" section width and a 9.5" tread width.

The 285/35-19 sidewall and OD is too small, in addition it has a wider 11.4" and 10.3" tread width which will make the tire bulge and have less response and support on the relatively narrow wheel.

If you go with a MPSS:

The 275/40-19 has a 10.9" section width and 10" tread width, a tread width wider than the wheel width.

The 285/40-19 has a WAY WIDER 11.4" section width and a 10.5" tread width - a full 1" wider than the wheel.

No matter how you look at it, the 285 is too wide, especially after the knowledge gained by reading this:

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...LY-select-and-size-TIRES-for-PERFORMANCE.aspx

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Section width is not a constant, it depends greatly on the width of the wheel the tire is mounted on, so you can't use section width as much of a guideline unless both tires specs were on the same wheel (in this case they were not). Since the OP would be mounting that tire on a narrower wheel, the section width would be less than the number given which assumed a larger wheel.

For example, I have 285/35 tires on PP staggered wheels and the tire on the 9" wheel is noticeably narrower at the sidewall than the one on the 9.5" wheel. Thats the "section width" there. Tread width is the same.

Im not sayin its a good idea, just that tread width is a more accurate gauge of how much wider tire X is than tire Y than section width. I nearly didnt buy the 285 tires in question because I was worried about strut clearance with the wider section width. Once I had them installed I realized the truth of those dimensions.

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Continental has really improved lately on the high-performance tire front. Years ago I wouldn't consider them.

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
Thanks for the input guys. I'll go with 275.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Section width is not a constant, it depends greatly on the width of the wheel the tire is mounted on, so you can't use section width as much of a guideline unless both tires specs were on the same wheel (in this case they were not). Since the OP would be mounting that tire on a narrower wheel, the section width would be less than the number given which assumed a larger wheel.

For example, I have 285/35 tires on PP staggered wheels and the tire on the 9" wheel is noticeably narrower at the sidewall than the one on the 9.5" wheel. Thats the "section width" there. Tread width is the same.

Im not sayin its a good idea, just that tread width is a more accurate gauge of how much wider tire X is than tire Y than section width. I nearly didnt buy the 285 tires in question because I was worried about strut clearance with the wider section width. Once I had them installed I realized the truth of those dimensions.
He is referring to another Billy Johnson article. It references how Tire rack has a jig that they measure all tires on. So it gives you a baseline of properly sizing specific brands to the wheel width due to the fact there is so little constancy among tire manufacturers.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jeffola

Automotive Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
The wheels shown in the photo, are they available for the S550? I think I'm in love!
Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 6.50.12 AM.png

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
Have been running the DWs for 3 months now and I've been quite happy with them. I haven't gotten a chance to try them on track yet though...hopefully soon.

I was going to go with the PSS but ultimately price won out since I had to replace all 4 at once this time. Couldn't justify the $300 extra for the PSS for better track performance when I only go to the track 2-3x/year.

I'll check out this upgraded Continentals when I have to replace my rears in a few months.

H1shawn1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT TY
For me the prices on these vs the MPSSs is about $100, since that isn't enough to persuade me one way or the other which tire do you guys think I'd be happier with.

OP
OP

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
For me the prices on these vs the MPSSs is about $100, since that isn't enough to persuade me one way or the other which tire do you guys think I'd be happier with.
You'd be quite happy with either. Read the article and decide what tire speaks more to you. You can't go wrong.
Sponsored