Sponsored

Shelby Transmission Cooler Scoop Update!!!

live2ride90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I got one for sale I never put on my car if anyone wants it. I sold my car before installation so its still in the box. Let me know
Sponsored

Stoked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Focus RS/2016 GT350/2002 Audi A4
Excellent! :cheers:

Yes it depends on how spirited you drive. Autocross is mostly sitting around with the car not running, so that won't cause a problem.

In 85 degree temperatures - stop and go traffic - I had my transmission temperature increase from 85 to 140 in 5 minutes. That's with the track pack coolers on the car. I didn't get to limp mode, but I got the impression that stop and go traffic could put the car in limp mode if there's enough stop. And the track pack coolers don't help much if the car isn't moving. After the 5 minutes traffic started moving and the transmission temperature didn't increase any more.
So buy the scoop and channel my inner Dominic Toretto whenever I drive it and I should be good...lol got it ;)

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
How many cars are going into LM through stop and go traffic? I think if this is happening then it's a MFR matter for sure.

I've driven my car around, spiritedly, in 100 degree heat several times now with no issues. I autocrossed it in 90 degree weather, ran it at 85 mph from full to empty with temps hitting 103 and no LM. Even while running through the mountains hard in 3rd-4th gear for at least 60 minutes, never a problem....

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I think it has more to do with seriously hard track use vs. street driving, even in a "spirited" manner.
I went into LM once on the street in stop and go traffic. It was on a freeway and also a hot day. I was going up Cajon Pass in Southern California. It goes from an elevation of a couple of hundred feet up to 3200 feet. I experienced the LM near the bottom where there was a lot of starting and stopping due to the traffic. As traffic eased and I got moving again, the issue went away.

tldukestang

tldukestang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I ran Road America last week for the second time and am glad to say I did not hit limp mode after installing the scoop. I will say it was a high of 70 degrees, raining a little bit and a strong 15 MPH wind so I'm not sure I gave the scoop a great test. We also could only make 3 runs due to the rain but I did hit limp mode during the 3rd run last year. I am not monitoring actual trans. temp yet so I can't say how close I was to limp mode.

Also glad to say no rattling from the scoop and installation was flawless as you would expect. I am cautiously optimistic that the scoop will work for a novice track driver in the Midwest who tracks only a few times per year.

VooDoo387R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R & 2020 GT500
I got one for sale I never put on my car if anyone wants it. I sold my car before installation so its still in the box. Let me know
PM sent and you're local. :cheers:

Sponsored

swish77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 LB GT350 C-package White Stripes
I believe the posts above are about this trans cooler scoop:

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/shelby-30.htm

.... but I don't see any reviews about this one from Ford Performance, although maybe that's because it's basically the same thing? Design looks different, though. Any one tried this one? It's listed as fitting all Mustangs 2015-17 with manual transmissions, but actually doesn't say GT350s. CJ Pony Parts carries it and says it "should" fit a GT350.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-5025-M8

Last edited:

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Can owners of the Shelby scoop confirm that you don't need to remove it for oil changes? The one from Ford requires removal.

16VooDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 SHELBY GT350
Can owners of the Shelby scoop confirm that you don't need to remove it for oil changes? The one from Ford requires removal.
[MENTION=19414]Shift[/MENTION], you do not have to remove the scoop for oil changes. There is about 6" of clearance from the oil drain plug to the front of the scoop. When you drain the oil the scoop is too far back to catch any oil.

VoodooPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold 2011 GT, Sold 2016 GT 350, 2018 GT 350R JR034
Limp Mode with Shelby Scoop

First off I want to thank the member "choice" for sending me his shelby scoop after he installed new transmission and cooler. I went to my first track event on 8/10 and I did hit limp mode 10 minutes into the 3rd 20 minute track session on a 71 degree day. The first session was a wet track so I was not pushing the car hard. The second and third session were dry. I also had a slight buzz/rattle generated from one of the heat shields on the shelby scoop rubbing the transmission. It was only at low rpm that I could notice the rattle. I'm not one to bash a product, but the scoop did not work for me on a rather cool day. I plan to install external pump and cooler to fix the issue. I have a base model 2016.

Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
First off I want to thank the member "choice" for sending me his shelby scoop after he installed new transmission and cooler. I went to my first track event on 8/10 and I did hit limp mode 10 minutes into the 3rd 20 minute track session on a 71 degree day. The first session was a wet track so I was not pushing the car hard. The second and third session were dry. I also had a slight buzz/rattle generated from one of the heat shields on the shelby scoop rubbing the transmission. It was only at low rpm that I could notice the rattle. I'm not one to bash a product, but the scoop did not work for me on a rather cool day. I plan to install external pump and cooler to fix the issue. I have a base model 2016.
I believe they have address the rattle issue by beefing up the tabs on the 2nd version. Have you noticed lower temps on the street?

VoodooPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold 2011 GT, Sold 2016 GT 350, 2018 GT 350R JR034
I believe they have address the rattle issue by beefing up the tabs on the 2nd version. Have you noticed lower temps on the street?
I never had any issues on the street without the cooler. I don't think you can monitor the Base/Tech transmission temps without an Ngauge or other 3rd party device so I don't have any data collected for how much it may have helped.

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350 magnetic/black tech
ran the new version of the cooler at mosport which has a long long straight over 1KM in length, happy to report that there is no limp mode in sight, max temp is 119C = 245F. I can see during the long back straight the trans temp actually goes down by a few degrees, makes sense as the fast air can cool the tranny. and the best way to cool the transmission in between sessions is to go out for a cruise at highway speed on 6th gear

i think this cooler is perfect for tracks with a fairly long straight. I do not go to track on super hot days so i think this 200USD cooler is the best solution for me for what i need.
Haven't heard much lately from the 2015/16 owners on the shelby scoop version 2 lately. I will be doing some track sessions on Area 27 this spring ( Canada's new F1 level track where chevy has been testing the ZL1/1LE this past year) and I really dont want to be burdened with limp mode. I am considering an exhaust wrap in combination with the cooler scoop hoping this will do the trick for a few sessions at least. If ford does come out with a warranty approved cooling system sometime soon I will, of course go that route however I am starting to lose hope on that happening. Any thoughts on exhaust wrap or scoop are appreciated!!
Sponsored