cgreen5150

cgreen5150
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, Premium, PP, Recaros
Good stuff Lorne. If your looking for a good ride but better handling without all the noise or harshness then the Prokit, IRA braces, K member brace along with some better sway bars to handle the body roll should get you exactly where you want to be. I wish I had a lift! I did all of mine (exhaust, suspension and shifter) with a good 'ol jack and jack stands. lol Either way, enjoy my friend!!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Good stuff Lorne. If your looking for a good ride but better handling without all the noise or harshness then the Prokit, IRA braces, K member brace along with some better sway bars to handle the body roll should get you exactly where you want to be. I wish I had a lift! I did all of mine (exhaust, suspension and shifter) with a good 'ol jack and jack stands. lol Either way, enjoy my friend!!
Will do, Thanks Chris! :thumbsup::headbang::ford:

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Looking good! What paint protectant did you end up going with?
Thanks Brandon- I did a lot of research and have narrowed it down to Modesta or CQuartz finest. I was going to get it done before I stored it, but ran out of time as I want to install an MMD V-Series spoiler before I have the coating done. So for now the Mustang is in storage until March. Lots of snow here and temps in the 20's... not being able to drive my stang is driving me crazy......I have contacted a certtified modesta and cquartz detailer in Chicago as there are no dealers in Wisconsin. I am going to spend The next month putting together the Phase 1 list and figuring out the timing as I would like to do them in a sequence that makes sense. For example I will most likely be puting in a Barton short throw shifter at the same time I install the exhaust and lowering springs.

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Looking good! What paint protectant did you end up going with?
I also am not sure about ordering parts early. I would love to take advantage of the black friday and holiday shopping, but am not going to be able to do much in terms of installations for a couple of months. Not sure how the vendors and resellers would handle that if there are problems. I would love to have been able to store my Mustang in a heated garage with lift equipment, etc so I could work on some of this over the winter, but no such luck. Perhaps I can find a better storage location next winter.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Well, It's a balmy -6 today in Wisconsin, but at least the sun is out... I decided to start a countdown to April 1st.. only 107 days left.:frusty:.. I get to drive my SUV Batmobile for the winter which isn't terrible, but it's not a Mustang. Saw a Dodge Hellcat out today...maybe I should consider winter tires next year...:confused:
20161215_111545-resized.jpg

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
LOL I feel 'ya on the "old" stuff. Most of the time I don't think 51 is old, but then there are some days.... As for parts, if lowering it at all I would recommend an alignment. It won't be off much with the Prokit, but still best to have it right. If your just keeping it a daily driver then some of the other suspension parts are not "needed" in my opinion, and depending on the part, may make the ride more harsh and/or noisy. I can tell you from experience that the IRS braces and the K member brace do make a nice difference you can feel. I am also on the shorter side and while I didn't have an issue with the clutch feel originally, with all the talk of how great the Steeda clutch spring is, I got one and did the 5 minute install. I actually had to re-learn the feel of the clutch pedal engagement ! But I have to say, it is definitely better than stock. Great bang for your buck. Pair that with the Steeda shifter and it's sooo much better than stock. The cold air intake with a tune is also a great investment. I definitely felt the difference after that install. I went with the JLT and Bama tune, but as you may have noticed on the forums, everyone has their own opinion on what is the best CAI. I'm waiting to get my car back from the dealer's service dept. (hopefully today, long story), and I will be doing some data logging to see if that makes any difference on the tune. It's free, so why not. As for sway bars, I'm on the fence on those. I have the PP so it already has different ones than a non PP, and I'm sure it would make a difference, but not sure it's worth the price. I have taken mine out to Thunderhill Raceway a few times and it does just fine with the few mods I have done - passing cars that are 2-3 times what mine cost! You will be putting the new parts on through the winter so it's good to go when the weather is nice, right?
Hey Chris, Hope all is well and that you had a good Christmas Holiday.. I have a quick question for you... I am compiling my purchase list and will be ordering parts soon. I am wondering about the Steeda shifter you purchased. Did you get the complete unit or just the shorter lever with the bushings? I think on American Muscle they refer to them as the Tri-Ax Street shifter assembly (approx $129.00) or the full Race Assembly (approx $400). It seems like the full assembly is a more complicated install..not sure if I need to go that far or not. Ford Performance also carries a basic one. Then there is the Barton and MGW full assemblies. Just wondering what your take is on it. Thanks!

Don

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTPP, Wipple Stage 2
Hi Lorne! Good to see another Wisconsinite on the boards. Like you I'm trying my best to wait out the WI winter, but it's not easy.

BTW I like your color choices. I originally wanted the exact same exterior/interior but there was nothing available so I went with my next option--black/black. :) Will be watching your build.

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Lorne! Good to see another Wisconsinite on the boards. Like you I'm trying my best to wait out the WI winter, but it's not easy.

BTW I like your color choices. I originally wanted the exact same exterior/interior but there was nothing available so I went with my next option--black/black. :) Will be watching your build.
Thanks Don! I am so with you on waiting out this Wisconsin Winter..... today I was snow blowing at 8am and by 10am it was 35 degrees and raining!!! Now the temp is dropping and its all turning to ice...I've never been so anxious for Spring!! Where are you in Wisconsin? I am in the Appleton area. I love the darker colors and the black just looks so mean.....I can see by your signature that you are way ahead of me in the mods department! Do you have a project journal or perhaps some pictures you could send me of your build? How do you like the MGW shifter by the way? A new shifter is on my list but I am undecided as to whether or not I want to do a full replacment or just the shorter lever linkage, as steeda has one for just over $100...

cgreen5150

cgreen5150
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, Premium, PP, Recaros
Hey Lorne. Thanks bud. We had a great Christmas and I hope you did too. While I did have the full race version on another 'stang, I went with the Tri-Ax street shifter on my '15. The race version is great, but probably overkill for a DD like mine that only see's occasional track time. Plus the price was right! I also got the transmission mount bushing insert and the shifter base bushing bracket kit. Super easy install on the bushings and not too bad on the shifter. I was lazy and didn't drop the exhaust and driveline like some suggest, but it just takes a little more time without dropping those out of the way. Well worth every bit of money and time! I hope this helps.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Lorne. Thanks bud. We had a great Christmas and I hope you did too. While I did have the full race version on another 'stang, I went with the Tri-Ax street shifter on my '15. The race version is great, but probably overkill for a DD like mine that only see's occasional track time. Plus the price was right! I also got the transmission mount bushing insert and the shifter base bushing bracket kit. Super easy install on the bushings and not too bad on the shifter. I was lazy and didn't drop the exhaust and driveline like some suggest, but it just takes a little more time without dropping those out of the way. Well worth every bit of money and time! I hope this helps.
Thanks Chris, That is about what I was thinking!... I think one of the install videos from CJ Pony Parts or American Muscle also mentioned getting the extra components. I just wasn't sure if I needed to go with the full unit. One of the things I was disappointed in with the stock shifter was the "Clunk" feel when shifting into gears and sometimes being almost "locked out" of 3rd gear.. It would almost be a 2-step process when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. After a while I became paranoid when shifting and held the clutch in too long as I wanted to make sure it was fully engaged..lots of slack in the shifter as well. I am hoping the Steeda takes most of this stuff away...may still go with a full blown replacement depeding upon my budget for other things I have in mind...

Last edited:

Don

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Don! I am so with you on waiting out this Wisconsin Winter..... today I was snow blowing at 8am and by 10am it was 35 degrees and raining!!! Now the temp is dropping and its all turning to ice...I've never been so anxious for Spring!! Where are you in Wisconsin? I am in the Appleton area. I love the darker colors and the black just looks so mean.....I can see by your signature that you are way ahead of me in the mods department! Do you have a project journal or perhaps some pictures you could send me of your build? How do you like the MGW shifter by the way? A new shifter is on my list but I am undecided as to whether or not I want to do a full replacment or just the shorter lever linkage, as steeda has one for just over $100...
I'm in Msn--not too far. :) I was behind on the mods until a few weeks ago when I did about a dozen or so in one shot, including the blower and shifter. I decided to wait until winter so it would give me something to look forward to while beating back the snow and bad weather. I still have more to do and hope that the car will be the way I want it before summer. Last project car took me 20 years--thought I'd do the reverse this time around.

I just installed the MGW today so I can't give you feedback on performance. I can say I did a ton of research over 2-3 months and after weighing it all out, I decided this was the best option for me. I had a short shifter in my last stang and it served me well, but I always wanted to go with a full shifter.

I don't plan to track my car but I want it to feel solid and perform. Since we spend a lot of time shifting gears, I wanted something that gives the most, positive user feedback (of course in addition to performance). Watching videos of people in their s550's shifting this shifter like butter with rock solid precision sold me.

Here's a link to my build thread:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72721

Needs an update!

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in Msn--not too far. :) I was behind on the mods until a few weeks ago when I did about a dozen or so in one shot, including the blower and shifter. I decided to wait until winter so it would give me something to look forward to while beating back the snow and bad weather. I still have more to do and hope that the car will be the way I want it before summer. Last project car took me 20 years--thought I'd do the reverse this time around.

I just installed the MGW today so I can't give you feedback on performance. I can say I did a ton of research over 2-3 months and after weighing it all out, I decided this was the best option for me. I had a short shifter in my last stang and it served me well, but I always wanted to go with a full shifter.

I don't plan to track my car but I want it to feel solid and perform. Since we spend a lot of time shifting gears, I wanted something that gives the most, positive user feedback (of course in addition to performance). Watching videos of people in their s550's shifting this shifter like butter with rock solid precision sold me.

Here's a link to my build thread:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72721

Needs an update!
Thanks Don for the input. I keep going back and forth between just the short shifter arm replacement (Steeda TriAx Street) and a full replacement like the barton or mgw. As I mention to Chris in my build thread... I was really not liking the stock shifter... the clunk and almost 2-step shift approach from 2nd to 2rd was unsettling...I will have to weigh how much I have in my budget as I have other mods I want to do... it will be similar to yours as I will be doing a bunch at one time. appreciate the feedback. If you know of any Mustang group or events in Wisconsin or neighboring states let me know... I am hoping to go to a few shows and maybe a track day event or two this year!.

Don

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
The clunking seems to be common, unfortunately. I put in BG Syncro Shift II trans fluid, like many others experiencing the same thing, and problem solved. It's really good stuff, especially for those of us in the north where the cold really makes the clunk more bothersome.

Here's a good link on the topic:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48679

As for car groups--last I checked there are no local mustang groups. There's the WCEC (Wisconsin Car Enthusiast Club). Looks promising so I think I'll check out some of their events this year and join. I plan on attending Automation in WI Dells this spring. That's one I don't miss.

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The clunking seems to be common, unfortunately. I put in BG Syncro Shift II trans fluid, like many others experiencing the same thing, and problem solved. It's really good stuff, especially for those of us in the north where the cold really makes the clunk more bothersome.

Here's a good link on the topic:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48679

As for car groups--last I checked there are no local mustang groups. There's the WCEC (Wisconsin Car Enthusiast Club). Looks promising so I think I'll check out some of their events this year and join. I plan on attending Automation in WI Dells this spring. That's one I don't miss.
I will check that out.. thanks! :thumbsup:
Sponsored