Sponsored

Steeda Tri-Ax Street shifter

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Ditto on the intermittent first/second gear difficulty. Now I have the complete replacement shifter (Tri-Ax) and not just the replacement part.

Sometimes goes in first smooth, other times kinda crunchy and other times really difficult.
Reading for the last 10 months or so, this is the first time I've read of any difficulty finding gears. Wondering if others have experienced this and swept it under the rug? Anyone with the Tri-Ax care to comment?
Sponsored

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
I've had the Tr-Ax shifter for over a month and have not experienced any of the problems that the OP and others have described. I also went with the high resistance springs and the GT350 shift knob. Just wanna say kudos to Steeda for a great product!

ZFLYN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 mustang V6 -> 2016 GTPP 6M
i think i gtta jump into this thread too.

I recently bought the whole Race assembly and reverse lockout collar and I also changed my Transmission.

I got my car back yesterday, and I was not able to put gear into 1st or 2nd.
Besides, the shifter is centered properly, however, it travels to left side slightly less than right side.

After quite few times, I could come back home.

today was my day 2, i called up my dealership who installed both, got confirmed that both center springs are correct, and installation was properly followed. he mentioned that it could need break-in.

I could say it is getting better, however, I doubt it will get better though.

TJ, can you help me too?

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Please send me your contact info and order number to [email protected]. Also, please send the dealership name doing the install.

We'll have our tech team call you to discuss.

TJ

ZFLYN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i opened the shift boot and found that black thing makes contact with the metal on the driver side whenever i try to put it in 1st or 2nd.

I sent you the contact info through email already.

installer told me because of the the metal shield on driver side, shifter cannot go any further to left compare to right which is for 5th and 6th.

This makes me really frustrated as I was planning to go to track this weekend and I'm stuck with this situation.
20170722_134038.jpg

Sponsored

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
i opened the shift boot and found that black thing makes contact with the metal on the driver side whenever i try to put it in 1st or 2nd.

I sent you the contact info through email already.

installer told me because of the the metal shield on driver side, shifter cannot go any further to left compare to right which is for 5th and 6th.

This makes me really frustrated as I was planning to go to track this weekend and I'm stuck with this situation.
Remove the tension springs all together, that should help 1st and second gear shifts. That's how I run mine for road racing.

Steeda Tech

ZFLYN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Remove the tension springs all together, that should help 1st and second gear shifts. That's how I run mine for road racing.

Steeda Tech
you mean that a set of spring that came with?

Is it possible to explain why this happens to me? :S

I mean, those springs are supposed to be installed and should not cause any issue..Right?

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
you mean that a set of spring that came with?

Is it possible to explain why this happens to me? :S

I mean, those springs are supposed to be installed and should not cause any issue..Right?
I'm off line, you can use them or not. They are just to firm up the shifts. If the springs are installed wrong it can cause yourr issue Please read the instructions.

Steeda Tech

ZFLYN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm off line, you can use them or not. They are just to firm up the shifts. If the springs are installed wrong it can cause yourr issue Please read the instructions.

Steeda Tech
I will give a try with removing and re-install it.

ZFLYN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ok.

as Tech mentioned I removed the springs completely.

it is now much easier to get 1st and 2nd, but, it still makes contact.

My buddy recommend me to shovel the back thingy little bit so it will not touch anything anymore.

what would be your recommendation?

Sponsored

BiloxiFun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
I had a similar issue with my Steeda TriAx. It wouldn't shift into 1st and 2nd.. without a lot of force.. After removing the springs at the suggestion of Steeda things seem fine now. Still bugs me.

After four months of no springs I will say the shifter is much better and pops right into gear without an issues.. even when shifting hastily.

ZFLYN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a similar issue with my Steeda TriAx. It wouldn't shift into 1st and 2nd.. without a lot of force.. After removing the springs at the suggestion of Steeda things seem fine now. Still bugs me.

After four months of no springs I will say the shifter is much better and pops right into gear without an issues.. even when shifting hastily.
Was yours touching the metal shield as well? I know eventually it will bet better once that black thing has enough scar and I may call it 'break-in'.

But my question is that why I have to remove it.. tried couple times with spring re-install, removal, different springs, etc. But, nothing really helped with contact..

P.S. We've read all instruction carefully.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Was yours touching the metal shield as well? I know eventually it will bet better once that black thing has enough scar and I may call it 'break-in'.

But my question is that why I have to remove it.. tried couple times with spring re-install, removal, different springs, etc. But, nothing really helped with contact..

P.S. We've read all instruction carefully.
I think you sent me your contact info, please re-send it & I will have a tech speak with you in the a.m.

Please email me at [email protected].

Best Regards,

TJ

rum_punch_ruby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supercharged 17 GT Premium, Performance Pack
Vehicle Showcase
Installed my Street shifter yesterday. All went well with no issues. One thing I did come across is not to overtighten the three set screws that attach the lever collar to whatever reverse lockout collar you use (I installed the Steeda delrin). I initially tightened them too much and I think it caused the drop of the lever collar to be very difficult making me have to push it down to be able to shift into 1st instead of reverse because it moved up/down fine before that. Backed off and it now works as it should.

Agreed that moving left into 1st and 2nd is more difficult than it maybe should be but will just be more firm with my shifts and hope that is all that is needed. Overall shifting is much shorter and more "true" than stock with no slop between shifts. "Notchier" than stock, yes but feels better IMO. A tad more NVH but I did install the Steeda shifter base bushing too which I'm sure is likely that cause.

Overall feels good and love the look of the shorter lever and black delrin collar.

installed: Steeda Street TriAx short throw shifter, delrin reverse lockout collar, shifter base bushing
Sponsored