Sponsored

automatic transmission lag and jerk

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Hey guys, I have a 2016 automatic GT (yes, yes I know there is a special place in hell for us automatic guys) Anyway, the transmission seems to be running MOSTLY fine.

However, when slowing down lets say below 10 mph, if I slow down and then gently get on the gas again, the car sort of lurches forward in a jerky motion and then goes back to being smooth.

Another example. if I come to a full and complete stop but a short complete stop, when I let off the brake the car moves forward but when I apply gas it SOMETIMES sounds like the engine is revving and then the gear actually catches and we move forward. this whole process is short, maybe 2 seconds top. But this is my first car and I don't know if this is just something to expect with new automatic transmissions or if there might be a small issue there. I really appreciate and help and feedback! Thanks
Sponsored

G-Rell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
are you in drive (D) or sport (S)? does the problem change between the two?

OP
OP

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
are you in drive (D) or sport (S)? does the problem change between the two?
I am in D when this problem happens. If I am in S the car is buttery smooth and responsive.

I suppose D is also responsive pass...1st or 2nd gear. its just the stop and lurching that is making me paranoid. Also when it does sort of jerk forward there is an audible noise. I don't want to say its a thud because that's too dramatic but there is a thud-ish noise

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
This may be a symptom of a torque converter failing. Had similar issues with a Nissan I had. Lived with it because I was in college but eventually decided to fix it myself. After numerous freakouts, making a EPA-sactioned mess, and lots of cursing, I replaced that. And it never happened again. Then I sold the car for less than I paid for the part a couple years later with 270K and a driver seat so torn up a spring butt f'd you if you didn't put a cushion over it. I digress...

So... demonstrate to dealer, have them address. Is what I meant to say.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Hey guys, I have a 2016 automatic GT (yes, yes I know there is a special place in hell for us automatic guys) Anyway, the transmission seems to be running MOSTLY fine.

However, when slowing down lets say below 10 mph, if I slow down and then gently get on the gas again, the car sort of lurches forward in a jerky motion and then goes back to being smooth.

Another example. if I come to a full and complete stop but a short complete stop, when I let off the brake the car moves forward but when I apply gas it SOMETIMES sounds like the engine is revving and then the gear actually catches and we move forward. this whole process is short, maybe 2 seconds top. But this is my first car and I don't know if this is just something to expect with new automatic transmissions or if there might be a small issue there. I really appreciate and help and feedback! Thanks
I think the problem is 1st gear is really tall and Ford is downshifting to 1st when the car is not fully stopped causing the sudden acceleration.
It might be not as drastic on the bigger trucks but the transmission shift program definitely needs refinement unless you use aftermarket tunes.
And the thud is normal.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
I think the problem is 1st gear is really tall and Ford is downshifting to 1st when the car is not fully stopped causing the sudden acceleration.
It might be not as drastic on the bigger trucks but the transmission shift program definitely needs refinement unless you use aftermarket tunes.
And the thud is normal.
yeah now that you mention it I drove an automatic ecoboost a while back and loved it except that the downshifts were violent and would rapidly slow down the car. hated that.

So you think this is just normal gearing issues and probably not something to panic over?

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
OP, my car does this as well. This is normal I think. It happens from 1st to 2nd and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd after you shift and then let off the gas right away. A tune minimizes the issue. When you shift up from 2nd to 3rd make sure you stay on the throttle for a second to eliminate the lurch.

But yeah at low speeds sometimes it will try to shift down into 1st. Sometimes what I do if I'm in a parking lot I'll start in 2nd and it will prevent this from happening. But in general you just have to be aware that it may happen.

I drive in Sports mode all the time. Drive mode sucks and is not smooth. Drive in sport mode so you can control what gear it's in.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Jasonstang is right. I would not panic about it at all.

MrBoogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I only shift to D once I hit the interstate or highway. To me, the combination of laggy throttle response, steep first gear, and very quick 1-2 shift in normal D mode combine for a strange and somewhat unpredictable feel at low speeds.

OP
OP

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
thanks for the responses, I can sleep a little easier at night now. Like I said with this being my first car I don't really know what is normal and what isn't.

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
This car wants to go fast. It does not like going slow, at least based on my experience with it 13,000 miles in on my 2015. A tune has eliminated most of the drivability issues but some quirks still exist. I just live with it.

A tune though has made me shift points much nicer and there's no lag. I don't need a quick shifting 10 speed auto. This transmission with a tune is just fine and I'd wager it's faster than a manual.

StoplightWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 STi, 2016 Camaro SS, 2016 Infiniti QX50
Mine doesnt do that at all - but I've been tuned since 450 miles

Maybe have Ford check it out, and if they say nothing is wrong, get a tune!

OP
OP

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
This car wants to go fast. It does not like going slow, at least based on my experience with it 13,000 miles in on my 2015. A tune has eliminated most of the drivability issues but some quirks still exist. I just live with it.

A tune though has made me shift points much nicer and there's no lag. I don't need a quick shifting 10 speed auto. This transmission with a tune is just fine and I'd wager it's faster than a manual.
what tune are you using? Also since it sounds like you drive fast, as do I. Do you notice your car being extremely hot when getting out or having the windows down? I heard the car was built to run hot. And all my gauges says its plenty cool but the heat coming from the engine is incredible lol

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
what tune are you using? Also since it sounds like you drive fast, as do I. Do you notice your car being extremely hot when getting out or having the windows down? I heard the car was built to run hot. And all my gauges says its plenty cool but the heat coming from the engine is incredible lol
At the moment I am using a Bama race tune for 93 octane. I also have their performance tune which works well also. I noticed most if not all of the surging when in too low a gear is gone. And the shifting just so much better now. When you really get on it that shift into 2nd and 3rd- it really pulls. No more lag and lackadaisical shifts. I felt the difference immediately after installing the tune. The engine feels stronger and the power increase can be felt. Gear ratio seems wider although that's probably just placebo effect.

Bama is not too well liked on this forum, so I don't mention it very much. I like it a lot though and enjoy the car much more than stock.

I don't drive real fast, I just like to accelerate. I don't drive like a dumba$$. But I do drive fast sometimes. I notice with this car, the faster you go the smoother it gets. And the more throttle the more it grips. It's like it bites into the pavement. I used to shift at 2000RPM around town and such but I've found now that I like to shift at 2500-3000RPM most of the time. The car drives smoother and I stay in gear longer. I keep my foot on the pedal and then let the engine do most of the braking.

Yes my car gets hot on the inside. If I pop the hood also shortly after I've been in the car, it's super hot! I find the engine operates best with the cylinder head temps between 180-195. Mine gets to 213 degrees sometimes after I've been driving a while. I'm going to get a Reische 170 thermostat soon which will kick the engine fans on sooner and will keep the cylinder head temps in the 180s all the time. Should make it last longer.

I'd love to see your mustang btw.

OP
OP

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
I'll have to post some pictures after I take some better ones. the ones I have now are weird angles. Its hard to find a good spot to take a decent picture in the city. Basically its a ruby red GT. planning on doing some black accents in the future. hmm my cylinder heads are almost always at about 205-208. never seen them above 208 but that's where they are id say...80% of the time?
Sponsored