Sponsored

Another engine oil thread ... What do you use?

Which brand of engine oil do you use?

• Total voters

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I don't know of every Ford filter for sale, so Mustang Guy may have better filter suggestions. Overall though the XP is super hard to beat and too many vehicles from GT R's, Prii, etc have responded very well to it. Only UOA can really determine the best filter, the XP is a good starting place if you can't afford UOA.
The WIX XP is only rated at 50% @ 20 microns efficiency - not impressive. Called WIX Tech Dept to verify.
Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
The WIX XP is only rated at 50% @ 20 microns efficiency - not impressive. Called WIX Tech Dept to verify.
I was just about to share that. I'm not impressed with it at all. The fl820 is the way to go if people want to be cheap. I'd personally only use the Ford racing filter or the fram ultra xg2. If someone wants to use amsoil ea011 filters that's alright as well. I'd still prefer the fram ultra and its cheaper. Better specs last I recall. It flows more before bypass and had a slightly higher bypass psi, 99% at 20 micron where the ea011 is 98.7 at 20

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
do you know what's the stock filter?
The FL500 the cars come with or the FL820? I don't recall the fl500 but I remember not being impressed with its lower flow over the 820 I also believe it goes into bypass sooner than even the standard 820. 820 has more media and pleates. If I recall right the Fl820 goes into bypass far sooner than the Ford racing 820 variant.

DanielLD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/ Jeep Rubicon HR/ RC-F
The WIX performs much better than its paper stat claims. It's why I like UOA, often times the filters don't perform to their paper stats.

Sounds like a good amount of offering for these filters! I recommend changing the filters if capable as these can drastically extend the oil life without having to change. I got a guy doing 25,000 mile intervals on a camaro, he just changes the filters. Every UOA comes super clean.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
What filter does he use? Fram ultra is a 15k filter. People have been cutting them open and at least look text book great. Don't know how the UOA looks. You should try a fram ultra and let me know how it goes. Wal-Mart sells them at about 10 bucks a filter. Open the box though and check people filter swap with the tough guards all the time lol.

Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
How does the large Ford Racing filter perform.

DanielLD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
Ugh, I've had customers buy used oil from Wal-Mart. WIX XP and he changes them every 4,000 miles. I don't get why they don't invert these filters, imagine how nice being able to change your filter in a snap and not have to change the oil. When I saw the 86 design, I loved it. On my RC-F we have paper filters, what a mess that is.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
The WIX performs much better than its paper stat claims. It's why I like UOA, often times the filters don't perform to their paper stats.
You'd have to get an ISO code cleanliness measurement via particle count with your UOA to determine how the filter is actually working to keep the oil clean. That measurement is up an above a regular UOA.

Sponsored

DanielLD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
No, there are other ways to determine if the filter is working. Particle count can have its own issues including the machine making false reads due to the dark color of the oil. I ran particle counts, quantifiers and analytical ferrographies on his samples.

I was including PC or PQ when I was at Tribologik on my automotive samples.

DanielLD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
The FTIR allows you to see EGRed fuel residuals and how the filter is handling them.