Sponsored

Any R owners using a standard 350 splitter?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Hey folks,

On the new R, I am thinking of using a standard 350 splitter instead of the R splitter that came with the car. The new R splitter is not installed yet. I am planning on getting the Xpel done first, then install either the R splitter ($900 consumable) or the standard 350 splitter ($280 consumable). We all know the beating the splitters can take, so I was thinking of going with the standard 350 splitter and save the R splitter for track days.

Thoughts?

R without splitter

picture.jpg

Non R splitter laying around still in the box

Sponsored

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
Really glad I went with the regular splitter with the R, at least initially. I already have a hard time not scraping with the regular splitter as it is, cannot imagine with the R even if I use mostly as a track car (still have to get in and out of storage, garage, drive to track, subject to car to driveways, etc). Doubt if at my skill level will be able to exploit all the aero benefits of having a regular vs R splitter. Plus have heard on some more hilly tracks, even the regular splitter can bottom out. Until I know exactly how to avoid all scraping and how the regular splitter behaves on all the tracks I go to, I figure at $300, regular splitter is pretty cheap insurance (both part cost and installation cost/time) for learning. Once my confidence increases and I make the mistakes with the regular splitter (which will invariably get destroyed), I may install the R splitter.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I ran my R with the non-r splitter for 8 months. I was careful and did t really touch anything with it. Put the r splitter on and scraped it in 2 days but it survived and I haven't scraped it after that. Either way should be fine. R splitter looks more aggressive

One thing to NOT do is go without a splitter at all. One good scrape and you've permanently damaged the splitter mounting points on your bumper cover.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I ran my R with the non-r splitter for 8 months. I was careful and did t really touch anything with it. Put the r splitter on and scraped it in 2 days but it survived and I haven't scraped it after that. Either way should be fine. R splitter looks more aggressive

One thing to NOT do is go without a splitter at all. One good scrape and you've permanently damaged the splitter mounting points on your bumper cover.
Yep. The splitter is off for the purpose of getting the Xpel done first. After the Xpel, I will install one or the other.

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Run the R splitter brother. It makes the car what it is. Just take it easy and install the ZL1 Addons splitter guard washers. It saved my carbon fiber piece on numerous occasions and that was way less flexible.

Sponsored

cobra4ever

msteck
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 AG GT350R HR427
I run a non R splitter - I plan to put the R splitter on as soon as I figure out all my approach angles etc. (slowly destroying the non R splitter in the process!)

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
Run the R splitter brother. It makes the car what it is. Just take it easy and install the ZL1 Addons splitter guard washers. It saved my carbon fiber piece on numerous occasions and that was way less flexible.
^This. It's an R, run the R splitter. What's next? Putting on the stock GT350 wheels to preserve the carbon fiber R wheels? The car should be all it was meant to be. LOL

Wooly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R Tech, Porsche 991GT3
Just got my R. Had same thought as you. Will install the non R splitter tomorrow and save the R splitter for the track.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I've literally worn like halfway through most of the foremost bolts on bottom of the splitter... LOL but I wouldn't change it. Where I am with how the roads are I would scrape regardless, and even with it scraping fairly often, you can't tell from looking at it.

If I ever do damage enough to warrant getting another, I'll just pony up the extra $$$ then. Not worth it to me personally to run around without one of the cool features that distinguishes the R model. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
My R splitter stays! I thought I might use the standard splitter but it kills the look. Additionally I do not want to go through the process of swapping splitter for track, tedious process. Having said that, being used to the shorter splitter I have caused damage. I hit a curb @ a gas station and it rolled the right lip up. The lip itself is abs and I was able to get it back to shape minus a view scratches. However as the lip rolled upwards it put pressure on the the fin trim and cracked it. Also the belly pan snapped at a corner. Saving the splitter was huge as it is $1k+. The fin and belly pan is running me a little over 500 not including shipping. Went with Autonation and should have parts in next week.

Etchhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
Thanks for the reminder to order these. Are there specific points that should be used to best save the R splitter? Can this be done with splitter on or does it need to come off? Assume some sort of lift is needed for access.
Thanks!

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
My R splitter stays! I thought I might use the standard splitter but it kills the look. Additionally I do not want to go through the process of swapping splitter for track, tedious process. Having said that, being used to the shorter splitter I have caused damage. I hit a curb @ a gas station and it rolled the right lip up. The lip itself is abs and I was able to get it back to shape minus a view scratches. However as the lip rolled upwards it put pressure on the the fin trim and cracked it. Also the belly pan snapped at a corner. Saving the splitter was huge as it is $1k+. The fin and belly pan is running me a little over 500 not including shipping. Went with Autonation and should have parts in next week.

I didn't factor in shipping I guess. I was talking to white bear lake ford yesterday when I was ordering new roof stripes (I'm removing the stripes to wrap the roof black). Anyway it was around $900 for the splitter. The R splitter showed up yesterday and wow it is a big box. Shipping must be crazy.

I'm divided just like it seems seems the people who's opinions I value. If and when the car has to go (gt500 or whatever) , a pristine splitter will go a long way towards perception of how the car was maintained. I've got a standard splitter just laying around doing nothing and the R splitter doesn't really do much for you on the street except take abuse.

But then as many have pointed out it is a key identifiable feature of the car.......

I'll probably just ask my wife and then just do the opposite. Why stop now :D

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reminder to order these. Are there specific points that should be used to best save the R splitter? Can this be done with splitter on or does it need to come off? Assume some sort of lift is needed for access.
Thanks!
Yea, really. I was trying to figure that out too. I keep going back to it and the more confused I get. If anybody has a link, that would be appreciated. I saw a set on Amazon for like $50 Plus $10 shipping.