Sponsored

Fixing Triple Yellow

Heretian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ex GT in TY. Now GT Shadow in RR
Looking for some help from guys in the US who might have had more experience in this.

TY is a rare colour on Mustangs this side of the pond and over the weekend during the usual wash I had the lovely joy of finding that someone had decided the drag a key down my passengers door panel and has broken through to the primer for at least 2 inches.

I took it to a bodyshop locally who have done work on my cars before and he basically said he didn't want to touch it due to the TY paint and trying to get it to match. Is TY really that hard to do? I know its three step but its not metallic and its not got any pearl in it...

I have spoken to another bodyshop who are going to spray some test cards to see how a match comes out using the official H3 paint code and hopefully they will take the job on but currently I am worried no-one is going to want to fix it.

I have had the car 3 months and am absolutely gutted. It has ruined the whole ownership experience for me as I loved it before this but now worried that even if I can get it fixed it may happen again. There is no insurance involved as no-one to blame and claim from and my excesses are high so just going to have to pay myself.

Anyone with experience of repairing or having had a TY repaired please let me know its going to be ok....
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Sorry to hear about this :(

Me? I'd give Mike at Modurstang a call. Not only does he have a Triple Yellow S550 himself, he also has an ace sprayer, so I'm sure he'd give you some advice and, more than likely, be able to paint it himself.

http://www.modurstang.co.uk/

OP
OP
Heretian

Heretian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks TT. Didn't think of them. Bit of a trek but worth a call :)

Given To Fly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 Limited
That pearl is what's called a tri-coat. Most cars you see on the road have a base color then a clear applied on top of them.

A tri-coat aka pearl uses a base color first, then a translucent 'pearl' coat is applied over the base color. From there you apply clear over the pearl coat.

Yes, these can be tricky to match but a quality painter can do it. And doing the spray-outs first is very smart and almost all but necessary if one doesn't do 'pearl' jobs every day (most collision painters don't because there's so few pearl colors). Not being a true pearl but a translucent mid-coat, one would think this would be the easiest of the tri-coats to spay and match.

If your painter doesn't want to do it, I'm sure there are plenty of others that can. Akzo Sikkens, BASF and Spies Hecker are your three biggest paint companies. Find the distributor of these products locally, tell them you have this paint code and ask who they think their best painter is to go to.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
That pearl is what's called a tri-coat. Most cars you see on the road have a base color then a clear applied on top of them.

A tri-coat aka pearl uses a base color first, then a translucent 'pearl' coat is applied over the base color. From there you apply clear over the pearl coat.

Yes, these can be tricky to match but a quality painter can do it. And doing the spray-outs first is very smart and almost all but necessary if one doesn't do 'pearl' jobs every day (most collision painters don't because there's so few pearl colors). Not being a true pearl but a translucent mid-coat, one would think this would be the easiest of the tri-coats to spay and match.

If your painter doesn't want to do it, I'm sure there are plenty of others that can. Akzo Sikkens, BASF and Spies Hecker are your three biggest paint companies. Find the distributor of these products locally, tell them you have this paint code and ask who they think their best painter is to go to.
^This is a good explanation for tri-coat. I thought that there was pearl in it, but we can't see it like regular pearl in the final coat.

Anyway, I had to have my bumper replaced and painted. I asked them to re-paint, because the yellow color match was a little off. But they matched it perfectly the second time. They even said that there is an instruction/procedure available for how to do the tri-coat.

As for having your car keyed, consider covering the sides with clear film. Expensive, but a key won't go through it. How long is the total length of the scratch? Some people just don't want others to have nice things.

Sponsored

Given To Fly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 Limited
Tri-coat pearl paint jobs are pretty. Here's my brother's white tri-coat Limited F-150 he just picked up. The picture doesn't do it justice.
trucks.jpg

OP
OP
Heretian

Heretian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry to hear about this :(

Me? I'd give Mike at Modurstang a call. Not only does he have a Triple Yellow S550 himself, he also has an ace sprayer, so I'm sure he'd give you some advice and, more than likely, be able to paint it himself.

http://www.modurstang.co.uk/

[MENTION=6364]Twin Turbo[/MENTION], thanks for the suggestion. Spoken with Mike and he has been extremely helpful. Booking in with his sprayer Nick to get it sorted in September. Going to have to live with it a bit but will be worth getting done right. He's going to redo the entire door and get the colour matched which is far better than what anyone local wants to do.

Looking forward to getting my pony back injury free.

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
Wow, that sucks. It's infuriating to think that people can and will do things like this. Might want to consider investing in a dash cam. Perhaps you could've caught the A-hole that did this.

Anyway, I am not a painting expert, nor am I in the auto body business by any means. However, I do have some experience with this issue and this color. I have a 2015 GT Premium in Triple Yellow. Bought it in February of 2015. A few months later, I was "lightly" rear ended. I have a thread about it somewhere on here.

Long story short, it ended up being over $10,000 (USD obviously) in damage. The rear bumper cover was replaced, as well as some other smaller parts but to correctly match the new paint with the original they had to basically repaint about half of the car. I believe they went as far as the top of the front windshield.

The color match is perfect. They did a magnificent job. One of my friends works for the shop and showed me their process. I always thought you just looked at the factory paint code, mixed THAT paint recipe and went to work. It's not that simple at all. The paint code gets you close but then you have to check it against all of these paint chip samples to account for different mixes/variables from the factory that could slightly change the color. Then you have factors such as age of the paint and any fading.

The moral of the story is go to a reputable shop and they should be able to handle this without a problem. It sounds complicated but should not be for an experienced painter who knows what he's doing.

Good luck!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Tag for future use. Great info, sorry to hear about the door.

Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
First, did you piss off a women?

Second, who the hell would do that?

Mr. Dad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT w/PP Magnetic 6 spd; 2005 F150 FX4
Sucks that someone would damage your property like that. Someone either jealous or an eco-warrior who thinks you shouldn't be driving something so evil. You know, cuz global warming and stuff. Hope you get the paint matched. Then go get a supercharger and louder exhaust just to spite that dickhead.
Sponsored