Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
My dilemma spelled out in one thread. I believe there is no clear cut answer. Although I'd love for someone to convince me one way or the other.

Seems like stock belts, risk death by basil skull fracture on a hard straight frontal impact.
Or Schroth and risk death in a roll over.

I think modern cars do have more rollover protection than older cars, but I don't believe there is any hard evidence to say how much better they are. I'd love to see evidence if anyone can provide any.

The somewhat famous picture of the S197 on it's roof with the roll bar pads that poked through the floor sticking up seems to say that S197s aren't any better.

For the record, I have three friends involved in on track instances, 2 of the 3 were rollovers. One at SIR, one at Summit Main.

At the moment, I don't know what to do. I hate the feeling of my helmet on my head with no tethers, but don't want to spend over a grand to risk death in another type of crash.

I guess one could make the argument that's you'll drive better strapped in tight with the Schroth, or the counter argument, maybe you'll be going even faster and drive closer to the edge...

Simpson makes a hybrid HANS that is meant to be worn with a factory 3pt belt. The downside is that is costs about $1200.

cjgt350

Adrenaline Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F250 Platinum 2016 GT350 TP
Here is the crash test http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/ford/mustang-2-door-coupe

They have a roof rating.

There is risk in life.
It can happen (roof excursion)but it is a personal choice as to what safety equipment you add that goes above and beyond HPDE requirements. A Schroth ASM harness and HANS is a minimum in my book for a car this capable. Vastly greater chance of a frontal impact then a roll over.

No structural issues in this roll over.
IMG_2904v2.jpg

Last edited:

cjgt350

Adrenaline Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
If you go with the 4pt roll bar down the road you can use the same harness (link below)if continued use of the OEM seats are desired. Or if a GT350R and you have no back seat belts this could be your bolt-in option.

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/products/profi-ii-asm
The bar is $550 the Watson 4 point is $1000. The quick pro is 550 and you save you back seats, and do not add 100 pounds to your car. The profi-ii-asm are $340.

Why would you go pro-ii-asm + bar for 900, if you could do quick pro for 550?
What am I missing? (I know I am dense at times)

cjgt350

Adrenaline Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The bar is $550 the Watson 4 point is $1000. The quick pro is 550 and you save you back seats, and do not add 100 pounds to your car. The profi-ii-asm are $340.

Why would you go pro-ii-asm + bar for 900, if you could do quick pro for 550?
What am I missing? (I know I am dense at times)
Your not missing anything. Just saying if you have the thought in the back of your mind that you may go to a roll bar down the road then you may consider this route. I suppose either way you have a Quick Fit Pro or harness bar left over to sell...so I guess whichever fits your possible plans or application (GT350R). I went Quick Fit Pro then said screw it and went all in with RSD, Watson and ProFi II ASM.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Simpson makes a hybrid HANS that is meant to be worn with a factory 3pt belt. The downside is that is costs about $1200.
The 3 point compatible hybrid system including the Hans is On Sale at the moment for $928.00.

http://simpsonraceproducts.com/shop-by-product/head-neck-restraints/hybrid/

Simpsons non hybrid Hans for use with harnesses range from $499 to $1049, for just the hans device.

Both L and R QuickFit Pro harnesses and one Schroth Hans add up to $1236.90 (with harness grips, no pads.)

Sponsored

cjgt350

Adrenaline Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 3 point compatible hybrid system including the Hans is On Sale at the moment for $928.00.

http://simpsonraceproducts.com/shop-by-product/head-neck-restraints/hybrid/

Simpsons non hybrid Hans for use with harnesses range from $499 to $1049, for just the hans device.

Both L and R QuickFit Pro harnesses and one Schroth Hans add up to $1236.90 (with harness grips, no pads.)
This is the one I use from Schroth. SHR Flex http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/products/shr-flex

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Your not missing anything. Just saying if you have the thought in the back of your mind that you may go to a roll bar down the road then you may consider this route. I suppose either way you have a Quick Fit Pro or harness bar left over to sell...so I guess whichever fits your possible plans or application (GT350R). I went Quick Fit Pro then said screw it and went all in with RSD, Watson and ProFi II ASM.
Ok I think the pro and you can convert to a six point

stshoo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Avalanche w/Black Stripe and roof, tech pack
I'm pretty sure the harness bars were originally aimed at autocross. Everyone I talked to when I had my 98 Mustang that had one in it when I bought it, said to get it out when you take the car to the track. Sure, you can have a soft roll over, but if you hit another car or something hard, the roof could give in.

The harness bar is nice since most, if not all can be bolted in and removed with no changes, but if you're running your car around a track at high speeds, I've leaned towards safety - but that's just me.
Sponsored