Brake cooling duct project has begun

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I think I'm gonna have the custom shop that always works on my car fab up something and use the FTB plate
Got a new lower grill sitting at my house today to do the same and gonna use FTBR plates.
Sponsored

sstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 J1955
And anyone working on/know where to get a backing plate with better coverage than the FTB kit?

Sponsored

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Started on mine today. Used the AllStar performance ducts, cut em down to size, cut a pie wedge out of the corner, used a heat gun to form the ABS plastic ducts around the curvature of the grill and epoxied them on. One side is curing right now.

SoFloEco

5 Liters of Love!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2020 Grabber Lime HPP Ecoboost Mustang
Started on mine today. Used the AllStar performance ducts, cut em down to size, cut a pie wedge out of the corner, used a heat gun to form the ABS plastic ducts around the curvature of the grill and epoxied them on. One side is curing right now.
Pics, please. When you get a chance. :clap2:

mnmike59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Sweet. Pictures please!!

sstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 J1955
What I was wondering? I use the FTB plates and hoses. They work really well! Never had an issue.

Hmm. I had read a few folks a while back who said the FTB plates didn't run particularly far along the rotor surface. I stand corrected!

My understanding is that the more of the rotor surface area your backing plate covers, the more effective the cooling, as the cooler ducted air has to run further along the face of the rotor before finding a way out (i.e, the edge of the backing plate). Am I off base on that?

Sponsored

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
Hmm. I had read a few folks a while back who said the FTB plates didn't run particularly far along the rotor surface. I stand corrected!

My understanding is that the more of the rotor surface area your backing plate covers, the more effective the cooling, as the cooler ducted air has to run further along the face of the rotor before finding a way out (i.e, the edge of the backing plate). Am I off base on that?
Try actually don't cover the rotor surface any more than absolutely necessary . The outer surface should be exposed for radiant cooling.

The purpose of the duct is to force feed air into the hat and put it through the vanes, sort of supercharging the centrifugal cooling.

The FTB plates are great.

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Will get pics up when I do the other side. I used the first side as my learning curve. I laid the duct on the backside of the grill and cut the edges way down. Used an adjustable temp heat gun to soften the ABS plastic and formed it around the grill opening. I also had a bucket of water handy to dip the duct into once I got it close to desired position to harden it back up quickly. I used slow cure two part epoxy for strength to bond it to the grill then clamped in place for 5 hours to ensure a tight fit. Once cured I picked the entire grill up by holding the epoxied duct but just to be safe I wrapped the duct and grill with high strength duct tape too.

What I should do is make a fiberglass mold out of the finished product and send it to Velossa Tech to get these things 3d printed.

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Here's my "work". First pic is the duct cut down to size. Next is it formed around the grill with a heat gun. I did trim a little more off the bottom at the seam where I brought the pie cut back together. The third pic is after it was epoxied in place and clamped down tight to ensure all mating surfaces were touching the grill and epoxy.
duct cut.jpg
duct formed.jpg
duct clamped.jpg

mnmike59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Here's my "work". First pic is the duct cut down to size. Next is it formed around the grill with a heat gun. I did trim a little more off the bottom at the seam where I brought the pie cut back together. The third pic is after it was epoxied in place and clamped down tight to ensure all mating surfaces were touching the grill and epoxy.
Nice, Thanks! :thumbsup:

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Its not exact and its not that pretty but it'll work I think.
Sponsored