Sponsored

PPF: Xpel Ultimate or Suntek?

350buyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Taco
I'm planning to get the front of the car wrapped. My layman's understanding (I don't normally do PPF) is that Xpel (10 yr warranty) is a little tougher, but the Suntek (5 yr warranty) is better optically and recommended for dark and/or bright colors.

Is that fairly accurate?

What would you guys recommend for a red or blue car?
Sponsored

VooDoo387R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R & 2020 GT500
I just got XPEL on my Race Red GT350R. Not sure if it's the best, but I'm sure it will do it's job. Just remember that wrap isn't bullet proof, but a good investment.

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Suntek now 10 yrs as well. My installer previously used Xpel, switched to Suntek for ease of installation and more inconspicuous. Only time will tell if holds up as well.

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
Suntek now 10 yrs as well. My installer previously used Xpel, switched to Suntek for ease of installation and more inconspicuous. Only time will tell if holds up as well.
Same here. My installer showed me some examples of dust specks pre-embedded in XPel's recently-produced films (including on XPel's own demo pieces!) and said he's seen some quality-control issues with them in recent months. With Suntek now at a 10-year warranty, he is recommending Suntek, at least for the time being. I couldn't be happier with the results.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I have XPel no issue with it. I am getting dirt at the seams though. I am not sure if my installer can clean that but It looks like after a couple years it will need some maintenance.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
My installer has done XPEL Ultimate on one of my vehicles and it was great. He recommended Suntek Ultra now though because it has the same 10 year warranty, healing properties, and Suntek doesn't have a texture like XPEL Ultimate does.

I currently have Suntek on my GT Premium and it looks incredible. Can't even tell its on. I would recommend Suntek over the XPEL since they are caught up now tech wise.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I have xpel and installed it myself, came up ok.... I have it peeling at one corner, but I am not sure if it was my fault or the glue just gave up. So I would try Suntek next time I'll do it.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
I don't have a preference for either, but I just had Suntek installed from the A-pillar forward and it looks great. You can't see it unless you look very closely or know where to look for the seams.

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
I have XPel on my GT350R and XC90. I have Suntek on my 328d.

I would not do Suntek again. The XC90 with 30K miles looks almost new. There are a few debris impacts that have marred the XPel, but as best as I can tell the paint is good underneath. The 328d has 9K miles and looks like crap. The rock impacts look deeper, and in a few places have torn. I lightly bumped the mirror of the 328d with the XC90's door and tore the Suntek film. I can't tell you how many times I've bumped the XC90's film covered spots with no I'll effect.

The 328d hood has a big dent (no fault of the Suntek) and needs to be repaired. Once done I plan on having XPel installed.

I will not be putting Suntek on any of my vehicles ever again.

OP
OP

350buyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Taco
Thanks all for correcting me about the Suntek warranty. Looking back at my notes, I had written 10 years - not sure why I had 5 in my head when I wrote that post.

I'm sue every product has detractors who are not satisfied, but you certainly seem to be in the minority.

Sponsored

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I have XPel on my GT350R and XC90. I have Suntek on my 328d.

I would not do Suntek again. The XC90 with 30K miles looks almost new. There are a few debris impacts that have marred the XPel, but as best as I can tell the paint is good underneath. The 328d has 9K miles and looks like crap. The rock impacts look deeper, and in a few places have torn. I lightly bumped the mirror of the 328d with the XC90's door and tore the Suntek film. I can't tell you how many times I've bumped the XC90's film covered spots with no I'll effect.

The 328d hood has a big dent (no fault of the Suntek) and needs to be repaired. Once done I plan on having XPel installed.

Was that Suntek Ultra that you put on with the ten year warranty or another Suntek product?

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Car fully Suntek wrapped for over a year. Other than a couple mistakes the installer made; no issues. Time will tell if it will last for 10 years...

Supercup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT4, Z/28 - Shelby FP350s (future)
I have cars with each - both are good - new version of suntek is same thickness as xpel ultimate, and is a little clearer - so that is what my installer recommended on my last car. Both are very nice and provide good protection.

Can't go wrong with either. If you are going to track heavy XPel ultimate might be the better option, if mostly street then Suntek as it does look a bit clearer.

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
Anyone have a good wholesaler for either of these brands pre-cut or 3M? I have experience and no problem applying them but it isn't my day job. The kits on eBay don't seem to have the rear fender areas, etc.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Anyone have a good wholesaler for either of these brands pre-cut or 3M? I have experience and no problem applying them but it isn't my day job. The kits on eBay don't seem to have the rear fender areas, etc.
Contact derand here on the forum. He's in Canada, and has his own shop that does these installs. I've seen him offer/sell pre-cut Xpel on here before.
Sponsored