Sponsored

oil analysis

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
I plan on running an analysis using the factory Motorcraft oil after 5k miles, then running Amsoil after 5k miles to compare and contrast.
Sponsored

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
I plan on running an analysis using the factory Motorcraft oil after 5k miles, then running Amsoil after 5k miles to compare and contrast.
Blackstone recommends staying with the same oil for a couple of tests then switching. I'd do it at 5k like you said, then use Motorcraft for another 5k then test again and switch. Not sure why but I know I read that somewhere.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It may be a good comparison tool, however I think its biggest asset would reveal a problem and put peace of mind into a prospective buyer.

Its relatively inexpensive, so what the heck....

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
The Motorcraft oil looks pretty solid. High levels of phosphorus and zinc (in good proportions for wear protection) very high levels of boron (great for anti-friction) , high flash point and viscosity numbers look in line for a high quality 5w-50. I feel pretty comfortable using this factory fill.

OP
OP

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
oil analysis isn't going to tell which oil is better, just will tell what's in them. So 5k on two different oils will be pretty useless. In fact if wasn't for Blackstone knowing about most oils it would be hard to judge when it is time change. The reason you change oil is because of additive deletion and suspended soot levels. If you ran a bypass filter that cleans below 5 micron you can run your oil forever almost. I run a bypass on my 7.3 liter diesel and Blackstone always tell me you could run it longer. My 7.3 takes 4 gallons of oil and the filter is almost a foot long. But it never gets black due to the bypass. I've done 20k on one batch and Blackstone says still ok. Now how much harder a voodoo is on oil compared to diesel I don't know. I will find out as I plan on testing regularly after break in.

Sponsored

OP
OP

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
what I've always thought about is portable bypass. Put a suction tube down dipstick and return through oil filler cap. Let run when your not using the car, or collect all your oil drains then filter and reuse. Most oil filters are 15/20 micron, bypass around 3-5 micron. Was going to do that years ago when everything ran the same oil and I was buying it in 55 gallon drums from Sam's.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
oil analysis isn't going to tell which oil is better, just will tell what's in them. So 5k on two different oils will be pretty useless. In fact if wasn't for Blackstone knowing about most oils it would be hard to judge when it is time change. The reason you change oil is because of additive deletion and suspended soot levels. If you ran a bypass filter that cleans below 5 micron you can run your oil forever almost. I run a bypass on my 7.3 liter diesel and Blackstone always tell me you could run it longer. My 7.3 takes 4 gallons of oil and the filter is almost a foot long. But it never gets black due to the bypass. I've done 20k on one batch and Blackstone says still ok. Now how much harder a voodoo is on oil compared to diesel I don't know. I will find out as I plan on testing regularly after break in.
Diesels don't overheat as much as gas engines, nor do they rev as high. They do not tend to leak by rings as it's much thicker, and burning is not as complete as gas... reason why it's hard to control pollution of a diesel engine.
If you have that much oil, it's hard to contaminate it, if engine is in good nick, and no blow by.
So bottom line, is; apple to oranges :)

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Additives are used up and break down, and so does the oil as it shear down from load, heat, fuel, and time. So simply filtering oil will not allow you to "run your oil forever almost" ... or even for a long time under harsh conditions.

UOA tell you how your oil is holding up for how you're using your car. Tracking cars require more frequent changes, and UOA help to understand the frequency you need to change your oil and the health of your engine.

OP
OP

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can see track use as tough on oil, but is the voodoo inherently hard on oil? So will spirited street driving, voodoo and 5-50 oil gives us something unusual time will tell. Anybody sent a sample in yet?

FORDSTANGER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 TP
I do blackstone every oil change. I also have extensive experience working and running turbine engine susptainment and overhauls.

I like it for the data and to give me one more tangible piece of evidence if I find myself in some sort of warranty debate. Getting ready for number 3 at 9k soon.

Sponsored

FORDSTANGER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 TP
Btw, I switched to amsoil in the first change. We will see because as it has been pointed out, the additive packages are what is important, not just the viscosity.

For intervals, the manuals are fairly conservative. Unless it's severe duty or racing, I stay on the OEM schedule.

You can also cut your filter open if you want to see debris. But that may just make you worry too much. I

Don't over think it.

OP
OP

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do blackstone every oil change. I. Getting ready for number 3 at 9k soon.
Maybe you could post your results so we can compare?

Thanks

GBGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT350 W/lightning blue stripes
Your diesel oil would hardly ever turn black at all if you get rid of the EGR. Diesels always kept oil clean until they started adding EGR systems to them. EGR on a diesel is a bad idea.

OP
OP

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting you mention that I didn't want all that oil in my intercoolers so it is vented out the rear.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Like others have said, no published limits on automotive engines that I'm aware of. you are simply looking at trends. Coming out of Industrial Diesel and then Prime Power Natural/BioGas oil sampling for about 10 years my conclusion is anyone on this forum is likely very attentive to oil changes so the oil is not in there long enough to break down to a point where it is not doing it's job.

If you bring the car to the track my suggestion would be to sample for viscosity trends. S550's just run hot in general, any car with a tune or a Shelby that see's a lot of high rpm will make a lot more heat. End of the day oil is the cheapest thing in any of these engines. Sample away but switching oil brands, viscosity every other oil change will give you zero information unless you log exact details of the use leading up to each sample. I have run three different oils over multiple track events and never had a bad sample. I also don't track our car in June in AZ.

Blackstone is very popular and they make nice end user comments on the samples but you should really send in a control sample with your used sample and have them compare what you started with.

We use Caterpillar, it's the same anywhere(more or less) and everyone has a dealer near them, the samples are $20 and it costs nothing to mail it in because they include the return pre-paid postage. They give you a very basic result that hits on the practical results. The oil is not in the car long enough to be concerned with TAN/TBN. These are just car engines, not multi-million dollar capital expenses.
Sponsored